Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Ethernet Topology

WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Orbi Ethernet Topology

Have reviewed the following link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

1) does the ethernet switch diagramed in the above link need to be dedicated to the satellites or can it be my existing main 24 port switch which already has my computers, printer, and security cameras?

2) the above link shows either star, daisy, or switch topology,  with ethernet backhaul could I mix and match? In other words could I do the following (total satellite count is three)(assume Orbi router is connect to the ethernet switch via ethernet cable):

-connect satellite A (using ethernet) to ethernet switch,

-connect satellite B (using ethernet) directly to Orbi Router

-connect Satellite C (using ethernet) to satellite B (which is connected to the Orbi Router)

3) each satellite has several ethernet ports on the back, can I use an ethernet cable to connect my desktop computer into an Orbi satellite rather than using wifi?  If I did would the ethernet speed through the satellite be comparable to what I would expect to achieve by connecting the laptop directly to my main 24 port switch?  Is the answer the same if the satellite is A, B, or C as described in #2?

4) Do any of the above responses change if the Orbi Router is set-up as a router or as an access point?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Ethernet Topology

1) No, ETH Switch itself can be mixed with other existing PC/devices
2) Yes, the scenario user mentioned is supported. However its hard for us to test every possible scenario. If you have issue with this setup, please contact support for assistance. 
3) Yes, PC can connect to Satellite.
No, will be different compared directly to 24 port switch. Since PC will first share bandwidth with other PC on Satellite LAN, then the traffic from Satellite will share with other devices on 24 port switch.
4) No different between Router in router mode or AP mode.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Ethernet Topology

1) No, ETH Switch itself can be mixed with other existing PC/devices
2) Yes, the scenario user mentioned is supported. However its hard for us to test every possible scenario. If you have issue with this setup, please contact support for assistance. 
3) Yes, PC can connect to Satellite.
No, will be different compared directly to 24 port switch. Since PC will first share bandwidth with other PC on Satellite LAN, then the traffic from Satellite will share with other devices on 24 port switch.
4) No different between Router in router mode or AP mode.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7