Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Ethernet connections LAN 1 and LAN 3 deliver 100Mbps while LAN 2 delivers 1Gbps

Seattlites
Aspirant

Orbi Ethernet connections LAN 1 and LAN 3 deliver 100Mbps while LAN 2 delivers 1Gbps

Any thoughts on why ethernet cable LAN 2 delivers my actual 1Gbps connection speed while LAN 1 and LAN 3 only deliver 100Mbps?  All wired cables throughout home are CAT-7 installed three years ago.  Didn't notice this issue until now doing some testing for an issue related to Sonos wired products.

Current firmware (V2.3.5.30) installed on both RBR50 and RBS50.  CAT-7 ethernet running through walls from RBR50.

Even a wired connection from the RBS50 allows 1Gbps connection (albeit actual speed delivered is slower than from LAN 2 on RBR50).

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Seattlites
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Ethernet connections LAN 1 and LAN 3 deliver 100Mbps while LAN 2 delivers 1Gbps

CrimpOn, thanks for replying.

I identified the problem testing from the same patch cable connected to each ethernet port in the wall to my laptop.  Doesn't matter what cable I use to connect from the wall ports.  I always end up with 100Mbps for LAN 1 and LAN 3 and 1Gbps from LAN 2.

I went directly to the router and plugged in a short 3' gigabit capable patch cable to each LAN port and now I see 1Gbps connection speeds from each. 

I will not even pretend to understand how CAT-7 cables that were all installed from the same spool could deliver different speeds, but this is clearly not an ORBI issue.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Ethernet connections LAN 1 and LAN 3 deliver 100Mbps while LAN 2 delivers 1Gbps

I had a problem that one of my Orbi LAN ports showed as 100mb while the others were 1000mb.  Turned out the patch cable was old.  I have a huge box of ethernet cables and paid no attention when I set up some computers.  Swapped out the cable and "all is well".

Even though the wiring inside the wall is Cat7, do you also have patch cables?

Message 2 of 4
Seattlites
Aspirant

CrimpOn, thanks for replying.

I identified the problem testing from the same patch cable connected to each ethernet port in the wall to my laptop.  Doesn't matter what cable I use to connect from the wall ports.  I always end up with 100Mbps for LAN 1 and LAN 3 and 1Gbps from LAN 2.

I went directly to the router and plugged in a short 3' gigabit capable patch cable to each LAN port and now I see 1Gbps connection speeds from each. 

I will not even pretend to understand how CAT-7 cables that were all installed from the same spool could deliver different speeds, but this is clearly not an ORBI issue.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

We installed thousands of ethernet cables where I used to work, and we found that there are many ways for the installers to mess up.  The most common was when terminating the ethernet cable at the wall jack.  We made them submit test results for every cable.  At the time, we were installing Cat 5e, but the principal was the same.  The installers hated it, because it took two people: one at the remote jack and the other at the central patch panel.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7