Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 1.4.0.16

Dave_G20
Aspirant

I am looking for an image file for the RBS50 for the 1.4.0.16 update (Just got the thing).  The RBK router updated to 1.4.0.16 and the satellite is an epic fail (won't update from the stock 1.1.0.16 version).  The firmware link on the site is just the 1.3 version leaving me high and dry.  Any idea where I can 1.4 for the RBS?

Message 26 of 55

hi

you need to update the sat/s to 1.3 first and then it should then show you the 1.4 software available for the sats

Message 27 of 55
Dave_G20
Aspirant

It won't let me upgrade to 1.3 (since the RBK is at 1.4)  It tells me invalid firmware

Message 28 of 55
Dave_G20
Aspirant

The exact message is "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

The file is RBS50-V1.3.0.26.img directly from the Netgear site.

Message 29 of 55

try rolling back the router to 1.3 and then manually installing the 1.3 on the sats manually and then do the update to 1.4

do it offline to get everything to 1.3 first then connect the orbi router to the internet and it should the auto update it all to 1.4

Message 30 of 55
ebmebm
Aspirant

My primary computer has a wired connection directly into the router.  I keep a command window open running a continous ping (ping /t) to my primary DNS just to monitor for Internet connectivity anomalies.  Prior to upgrading to 1.4.0.16, the ping resposne was consistently in the 18-30 ms range.  Since the firmware upgrade, the response has gone to the 28-40 ms range.  Unless something has changed with my Internet provider, there seems to be an additional 10 ms of latency.

Anybody else notice similar behavior?

Message 31 of 55

whats the orbi router connected to as far as internet connectivity goes and can you connect the comp direct to what ever that connection is and do the same test , even with 18-30 ping it sounds like you are on some sort of pppoe type connection 

Message 32 of 55
ebmebm
Aspirant

I have Time Warner Cable, so the router is connected to a cable modem.  The DNS is a TWC server.  I have had the same basic setup for a many years now.  The only change in the past few days that I am aware of is the firmware update.

The 10 ms difference is not a big enough problem to warrant a lot of diagnosis.  Although, bypassing the router with a direct connection would be interesting.

I have used the continuous ping as a sort of "provider connectivity health monitor" for 10+ years now.  Having developed a feel for it, I can tell when my provider changes something or is having problems.

Thank you for your reply

Message 33 of 55
dg_sticks
Guide

@randye I am having the EXACT same problem as you! I have 150Mbps and have had zero issues, but then all of a sudden I can't break the 10Mpbs mark at all. I have had a Cox tech come out and replace every single line, test different modems, etc. I would love to hear a response on this issue since I also believe it's crazy we are in the same position. I thought I was going nuts!

Message 34 of 55
randye
Star

@dg_sticks I've talked to NETGEAR and was told to monitor the problem. We were on the call for 30+ minutes and narrowed to possibly being channel interference. But I'm still receiving low speeds. I had to lay the situation at someone's feet so I called back Comcast and plainly explained the situation. The rep did find there is some signal connection issues on my end that requires a technician to come to my residence tomorrow morning. So perhaps that was my situation if not, I'll be back here to update. So far I've enable/disabled so many options on my orbi that I don't think there can't be anything left to adjust. We me luck tomorrow.
Message 35 of 55
dg_sticks
Guide

@randye I am absolutely wishing you good luck because this is, without a doubt, the most annoying problem I have ever had with a router. Channel interference is an interesting thought, but I am plugged into the router by ethernet using a gigabit connection with the same exact issues. I would love to hear back with any news on your end and/or if any Netgear reps stop in here!

Message 36 of 55
randye
Star

@dg_sticks did your speeds decrease pre/post the 1.4 firmware update?
Message 37 of 55
dg_sticks
Guide

@randye I believe this started with the latest firmware release.

Message 38 of 55
randye
Star

UPDATE: So I believe I found my issue. When I swapped out my Comcast modem with the Orbi  and Netgear Modem, I ran the main coaxial cable through my Monster Cable surge protector out into the cable modem. This was causing major signal degradation. I removed the coaxial from the Monster surge protector, did a speedtest and...BOOM I got my desired speeds back!

Funny that I assumed my Xfinity rental router/modem was the bottleneck as I had the coaxial setup the same way. Still glad I eliminated giving Comcast a monthly rental fee. 

NEVER NEVER NEVER do this...causes MAJOR issues and ruins the quality of the signal. I thought I was protecting my investment by using the coaxial pass-through on the surge protector but ended up causing more damage.

For anyone who is debating doing this, look at this thread for advice: 

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/coaxial-cable-through-surge-protector.2195990/

@dg_sticks If you're using a pass-through coaxial I/O on your surge protector I recommend taking it out and going direct from the wall into your setup and by-passing the surge-protector. If you're not doing that, good luck and hope you find out what is wrong.

Message 39 of 55
GamerHonu
Star

@JMU1998 wrote:

Looks like new Firmware just released today 1.4.0.16 anyone taken this yet? I will as soon as I get some time today hopefully it address frequent random wireless drops.

I didn't get the option to NOT take the firmware update as today I noticed both my router and satellite were updated without my knowledge. I really hope we get the ability to disable auto updates via the router itself...

Message 40 of 55
randye
Star

Message 41 of 55
RJG69
Guide

Just wanted to throw my experience with the latest upgrade out there...last Friday, I logged into Netgear and saw the firmware upgrade available button and since I had some time, I ran it....Router and one satellite updated, the other satellite failed to upgrade...somehow, my router went through a phase of blinking magenta and blinking white...best I could tell, that meant it was resetting to factory settings???...after all of that commotion, (and I do mean commotion, since all my wifi vampires were home and sucking down some serious downloading) the router and both satellites reset to 1.3.0.26 and the option to upgrade is no longer showing when I log into Netgear.....I really do not care about the guest network capability at this time, so should I just wait until another upgrade is issued before I update the firmware? I'd hate to have some voo doo issue with speed loss, as some have encountered with the update.

Message 42 of 55

the fw is now available on the netgear web site to manually upgrade if you like , just update both sat's first and then the router , it doesnt take long just do it when usage demands are low or kick them outside and scare them with the sun lol

Message 43 of 55
RJG69
Guide

Thanks Petey....when I got home today, my laptop would not connect with the orbi, but my mobile devices would....ran the windows troubleshooter for wifi, and it said to rest the connection to the modem.....unplugged the modem and restarted it.....orbi router turned magenta and stayed that way....restarted the router, and after it reset, I still could not connect...windows troubleshooter then reset the wifi switch and after that, I could connect...when I logged into Netgear, voila, I was running version 1.0.4.16...only one satellite was connected...turned it off and back on, and it was good to go....still not sure how the firmware updated without me manually initiating it, but whatever, the thing is working....one thing though, before this upgrade every speed test was 170+....now, it won't break 100....curious...

Message 44 of 55

check what band you are connected to , also re enable beamforming in the advanced wireless section

Message 45 of 55
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Pete, I too have noticed a general sluggishness when new page requests are sent. My speeds are the same, but the responsiveness of page loading has slowed dramatically. With the previous versions, pages snapped onto the screen, now they simply load. 

Message 46 of 55
XBond
Apprentice

I just got updated to 1.4.0.16 today (Dec 3rd) and have had absolutely no issues. As a matter of fact, my speeds increased on my PC and laptop. My iPhone seems be the same or slightly faster. I didn't change any settings after the upgrade but left as is.

The only setting I ever changed was disabling the '20/40 MHz Coexistance' which seems to provide better speeds when connected to the 2.4GHz band.

I have found that the key to optimal performance is the placement of the router and satellite. I placed the satellite as far away from the router as I could which seems to give the best result. I found that the closer together they were, the more "confused" devices would get in terms which unit to connect to and often would connect to the "wrong" unit (in terms of which was actually closer), which in turn meant that the device connected via the 2.4GHz band rather than the 5 GHz band resulting in slower speeds.

If you are seeing slower speeds you might want to play around with the position of the satelite, check which unit your device is connected to as opposed to "should be" connected.

The latter used to be easy via an 'Advanced' setting but Netgear removed that in the previous fw upgrade which is such a bummer as it makes debugging connection/speed issues harder.

I believe peteytesting has posted a way to check in another thread.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 47 of 55
XBond
Apprentice

By connecting to the Satellite's status page, you can see which devices are connected to it:

1. Connect to www.orbilogin.com

2. Find the address of the satellite (e.g. 192.168.1.2)

3. Connect to http://192.168.1.2/status.htm

4. Enter admin name and password

5. Look at the Connected Devices.

Message 48 of 55
RJG69
Guide

Thank you XBond.....my speed issues have not resurfaced since that first day, so I'm not sweating that...THANK YOU LARGE for the tip from petey on how to see what devices are actually connected to which satellite...that has been something that I wanted to be able to do.

Message 49 of 55
XBond
Apprentice

One caveat.

I don't know if the list is correct. Earlier today I was in a part of the house where my iPhone has always connected to the router and not the satellite. I checked the list of connected devices using the method above and it looked like my iPhone was connected to the satellite which I find hard to believe. Again, have checked that spot before and I was always connected to the router.

I don't know if the "Connected Devices" page shows all wireless connections whether through the satellite or router. Very confusing.

Really wish Netgear will bring back the original functionally from the original fw.
Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7