Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware 1.4.0.16

@XBond wrote:
One caveat.

I don't know if the list is correct. Earlier today I was in a part of the house where my iPhone has always connected to the router and not the satellite. I checked the list of connected devices using the method above and it looked like my iPhone was connected to the satellite which I find hard to believe. Again, have checked that spot before and I was always connected to the router.

I don't know if the "Connected Devices" page shows all wireless connections whether through the satellite or router. Very confusing.

Really wish Netgear will bring back the original functionally from the original fw.

did you remeber to re enable beamforming and mu-mimo as this will effect how the sat and router perform and connect

Message 51 of 55
XBond
Apprentice

I never disabled those options and I just confirmed that both options are enabled.
Message 52 of 55

@XBond wrote:
I never disabled those options and I just confirmed that both options are enabled.

they are disabled by default on new firmware , so you ether havnt updated the firmware or at some point you have enabled those options

i also recommend setting the 2.4 gig ch to something other that auto , ether ch 1 , 6 or 11

they have also played around with various tweaks in the transmission in this latest fw revision so the balance may be different and thus why you are now connecting to the router instead of the sat

Message 53 of 55
XBond
Apprentice

Not sure what to tell you, but I do have the latest firmware, I never enabled those options myself, and they are enabled. 😄 For real...

But the most important thing is that although I am connected to the satellite now, I am getting the speed I expect (i.e. connected to the 5GHz band).

Just curious, why change the 2.4 channel?
Message 54 of 55
spiffy
Aspirant

This link from Wikipedia explains it pretty well.  You can pretty much get it just from the diagram, but the text adds some detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#2.4.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11b.2Fg.2Fn.29

To add to that, my understanding is that in a *very* crowded environment (where you live in an apartment and you might see 20 other people using each of those channels) it can still make sense to choose something different, but in a typical environment (where you might see 1 or two other people using the same channel as you) it's still best to pick one of those.

FYI there's a great app for Android (no idea if it exists for iOS or not) called "Wifi Analyzer" which will graphically show you what SSIDs are visible on what channels at your location, and their relative strengths.

Message 55 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7