Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG doesn't post information on when new FW updates are forth coming. So users will need to keep an eye on the download page or here in the forums. 

This is not necessarily true.  One of the community moderators did post that .38(?) was available and we all saw what happended there.

My recommendation is do nothing.  If your system is working leave it alone.  NG pushes (no action required by user) updates that contain major or perhaps when the bugs are worked out of a previously available firmware.

Some have suggested turn off all auto updates.  What would that do?  The user would be left to a guessing game  (?) of perhaps coming in here and reading the posts to determine if the available firmware is OK.  Either way is a crap shoot. 

Message 151 of 177
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A factory reset and setup from scratch should have been tried as a last resort when applying v40. A few have posted v40 seems to have solved the device naming issue. Thought this doesn't fix v38 as this is where the problem started and confirmed. If v40 doesn't work after a factroy reset and setup from scratch, users will need to revert back to v30 and wait for NG to fully fix this problem. NG doesn't post information on when new FW updates are forth coming. So users will need to keep an eye on the download page or here in the forums. 

@FURRYe38 , I did a factory reset when the upgrade to V2.5.0.38 devices were messed up and it did not help.  I then upgraded to V2.5.0.40 and some devices were fixed, but others were then broken and I was unable to edit the devices.  A factory reset between .38 and .40 minor releases should not be needed.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 152 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know what you did. 

Message 153 of 177
kuno2501
Guide

Having same issue since the latest update Router Firmware Version V2.5.0.38
Attached device name got messed up and cannot rename some of them, also cannot change access control of some of the attached devices!!
This update is terrible

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 154 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Give v40 a try and see if this resolves this for you. Others have reported v40 fixed it for them:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-2-5-0-38-firmare-bug/m-p/1826207/highlight/true#M76...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/2-5-0-40-Attached-Devices-Issue-on-RBR50-RBS50/m-p/1827366/hig...

I recommend doing a factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR after updating FW. If this doesn't work for you, revert back to v30. 

@kuno2501 wrote:

Having same issue since the latest update Router Firmware Version V2.5.0.38
Attached device name got messed up and cannot rename some of them, also cannot change access control of some of the attached devices!!
This update is terrible

Message 155 of 177
jtlynn23
Tutor

Both the 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40 firmware updates have been disasters on my RBR50 and RBS50.  

The problems with wireless performance and the Device List began with .38 and continue with .40.  

WiFi performance has been dismal: for some reason the unit randomly ratchets back WiFi speeds to a max of 40-50 Mbit/sec every few days. When this happens, a hardwired speed test between the Orbi router and my cable modem consistently shows my full bandwidth of 700 Mbit/sec.   Power-cycling the unit brings WiFi speed back to normal,  but every couple days it inexplicably kicks back down again.  Clearly, this firmware has messed with the WiFi services on the RBR50 and RBS50.

The "Devices" list is messed up-- devices I got rid of 2 years ago have reappeared as "active," and I can't fix a single incorrect entry on the list--  I agree that this is an "annoyance" but it serves as a blatant sign of a company that lacks pride in its work and disrepects its customers.  I have managed software development teams and the fact that this software was actually approved for release to customers is appalling.

Netgear should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this on their customers.

And before the fanboys tell me to do a factory reset-- a solution which has met with very mixed results in this forum-- I will say that I refuse to spend another minute of my energy trying to fix this vendor's lousy work.

If a "factory reset" really is the answer, I will gladly start out from scratch again, and here's how I will do it:

I just returned from Best Buy with a Linksys Velop Mesh System that I bought via a sweet Black Friday deal.  I will be going through a new setup process, and it's going to be with a competing product.

I have had this Orbi system for over two years and have had minimal trouble with it.  And I've been a Netgear customer since the late 1990s in their Bay Networks days.  This experience has destroyed my confidence in the Netgear brand. 

If anyone wants a used Orbi system with half-baked firmware on the cheap, let me know.

Message 156 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

I was told to day that NG pulled v30 and v40 from there Orbi update servers. So users shouldn't see this on there FW update page on the RBR. Yes there available via the download site. 

They confirmed that v34 is the standing latest version that they recommend upgrading to. You can upgrade to v34 which has the web page certificate fix or downgrade to v30 or last working version of FW. A factory reset is the last resort if users can't get there systems working normally. Those of us who do resets and manual upgrades, this seems to avoid issues seen by those of you who do see issues and choose not to do a reset. It's up to you. NG said it was coming out with a new FW udpate to fix the device naming issue found in v38. For those of you who can't get there systems working, with or with out a factory reset, revert back to something that works for you and wait for the next update to arrive. No date was given when the next FW upate will be released.

Good Luck. 

Message 157 of 177
Tinkman65
Aspirant

I have been looking at the posts about the firmware update 2.5.0.38 that breaks the ability to name devices. I see some saying this is only a feature that doesn't affect usability. The reason I purchased this router is for this feature. So I could spend the time naming my devices, which allows me to see if there are devices on my network that I am unaware of. Also so I can control my kids devices by turning off the internet for thier devices when needed. Now all that work is gone!! And the purpose for purchasing this router is gone as well!! I cannot tell what devices are my kids because the names of the devices are cryptic at best. Is an update being worked on for this? The fact that I will have to spend time renaming all my devices again isn't something I want to spend my time on either.

Message 158 of 177
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Tinkman65 wrote:

I have been looking at the posts about the firmware update 2.5.0.38 that breaks the ability to name devices. I see some saying this is only a feature that doesn't affect usability. The reason I purchased this router is for this feature. So I could spend the time naming my devices, which allows me to see if there are devices on my network that I am unaware of. Also so I can control my kids devices by turning off the internet for thier devices when needed. Now all that work is gone!! And the purpose for purchasing this router is gone as well!! I cannot tell what devices are my kids because the names of the devices are cryptic at best. Is an update being worked on for this? The fact that I will have to spend time renaming all my devices again isn't something I want to spend my time on either.

Relax....those that are faced with your problem feel you pain.  IF you can get by, I would wait things out.  NG has screwed things up in the past and they somehow manage to put things back in order.

Message 159 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

V30 was last known working FW version that device naming is working on. NG updated v34 to included new certificates which is supposidly based on v30 to fix v30s expired certificates. You can manually download v30 or v34 and apply them using a web browser and PC. 

@Tinkman65 wrote:

Message 160 of 177
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Yes, the device naming issues is a crucial feature when you are using access control for your devices.  The v2.5.0.38 and .40 releases have device naming broken, so the workaround is to downgrade the firmware to v2.3.5,30 or .34 release on both the router and satellites. I have an open ticket with NG for this issue since v2.5.0.38 was released, but they have not provided an ETA for when the firmware will be fixed.  That is why NG pulled v2.5.0.x from their update tree and they recommend v2.3.5.30 or the .34 hot fix (which has a self-signed certificate so it is also not properly fixed).

@Tinkman65 wrote:

Message 161 of 177
dnonnema
Aspirant

The upgrade to .38 on my RBK50 was easy and naming is operational post upgrade. I seem to be in the minority judging by all the responses in this thread.

NG has some ‘splaining to do.
Message 162 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to give custom names to devices past 3 or 4 name changes? 

@dnonnema wrote:
The upgrade to .38 on my RBK50 was easy and naming is operational post upgrade. I seem to be in the minority judging by all the responses in this thread.

NG has some ‘splaining to do.

Message 163 of 177
Tinkman65
Aspirant

No, I think it only allowed me to change 2 device names after updating to .40 and after that I could not udate any other devices.

Message 164 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

Just as an FYI..........I have upgraded to v2.5.1.8 this morning without any dramas, and this firmware release appears to have resolved the device naming / icon issue introduced in v2.5.0.38.

Have fun......

Message 165 of 177
Sylvain24
Tutor

Thanks, and for 2.4/5Ghz split SSID, is it working with v2.5.1.8 ?

Message 166 of 177
MikeG63
Apprentice

@Sylvain24 wrote:

@Sylvain24 wrote:

Sorry I can't say.  My 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz devices are automatically assigned the correct frequency according to what they support using the one SSID.  I haven't found a need to have two separate SSIDs.  Also I don't believe the https certificate issue has been fixed though in v2.5.0.40 - unless I have missed something and need to manuallly renew the certificate after applying the update, but I haven't seen any instructions on that!.  

Message 167 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 168 of 177
TeslaRMP
Aspirant

Same problem! Not only do my device names not change, or if i can get them to change they revert back on their own later, but my Access Control keeps randomly blocking allowed devices even though they are listed in the Allowed Devices list. Netgear, please fix this! I literally did a factory reset several times and redid all my settings and port forwarding from scratch in an attempt to reset everything, but the problem keeps happening!!!!

Message 169 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update your system to v2.5.1.8 yet? This seems to fix the device naming issue. I checked mine and it is working now. 

@TeslaRMP wrote:

Same problem! Not only do my device names not change, or if i can get them to change they revert back on their own later, but my Access Control keeps randomly blocking allowed devices even though they are listed in the Allowed Devices list. Netgear, please fix this! I literally did a factory reset several times and redid all my settings and port forwarding from scratch in an attempt to reset everything, but the problem keeps happening!!!!

Message 170 of 177
Tinkman65
Aspirant

Yes I did the update but I still am unable to update device names. I had to roll back to v2.3.5.34 and now I can name devices.

Message 171 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Did you factory reset after applying v1.8 and then clear ALL browser caches then setup from scratch on the RBR? I usee Opera for mine. I manually updated and I didn't factory reset. I was able to name 4 devices and they all have stuck and remain as configured with custom names. 

Working for others as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8/td-p/1837215/jump-to/first-unread-mes...

@Tinkman65 wrote:

Yes I did the update but I still am unable to update device names. I had to roll back to v2.3.5.34 and now I can name devices.

Message 172 of 177
Tinkman65
Aspirant

No, I just upgraded to v2.5.1.8 and was using the edge browser and was unable to even update 1 device. I did not reset my router because then that would be one more thing I would have to setup all over again. It's bad enough I spent all the time setting up my devices the first time but to have to do a reset and setup everything again is just brain damage.

Message 173 of 177
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try Opera or Firefox browsers. Be sure to clear ALL browser caches before entering in to the RBRs web page. 

It's working. 

Message 174 of 177
TeslaRMP
Aspirant

I didn't know about the new version because when I do the "check for update" it said "no new firmware version available." So then I manually downloaded and updated to the new firmware version 2.5.1.8.  After updating, it took a couple tries renaming before it took, but it looks like this fixed the problem.  Before this update they would't change at all. Time will tell if the names change again. Thanks for letting me know about the new firmware version!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you update your system to v2.5.1.8 yet? This seems to fix the device naming issue. I checked mine and it is working now. 

@TeslaRMP wrote:

Message 175 of 177
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7