Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Firmware issue

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Firmware issue

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Once you update to v2.5.1.8 and factory reset the system and setup from scratch, you'll be fine. v2.5.1.8 works well. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@Chuck-ORL wrote:

Over the weekend, I updated my firmware to v2.5.0.38.  I thought it would be a good thing to do and unfortunately, didn't do the normal amount of research that usually do, but got a REAL education.

After making the update, it became clear that it was nothing short of a disaster!  I operate most everything on an iOS platform, with the exception of a couple of windows work computers, and a pool automation system. 

The first clue came when after doing a restart of the router and satellite, my HomePod showed as 'Not Responding'.  Then, my pool automation system (Hayward) lost the link from my hardwired router to the system box.  Next, after checking what was going on through the app, it showed the satellite as 'online' but the router as 'disconnected - no internet'.  This was strange since every device had internet access, but the router said something different.

All of this is in addition to the fact that most everything was moving at just slightly greater than dial-up regardless of the fact that I have AT&T Giganet Fiber service.

After a very frustrating weekend, I determined that the ONLY fix was to downgrade both the router and satellite to the previous version of firmware that I knew worked well, v2.3.5.30.  I downloaded the update files from the support website for both the router and satellite, made the downgrade by using the web interface and a LAN cable connection directly to the internal IP address for each unit, and changed my SSID just to clear out any issues with re-connecting all of my devices (which there are plenty, including smart lights and switches).

It was quite the ordeal and it took me many hours to 'start over' again from scratch, but EVERYTHING is working just like it did before venturing into this fiasco.

From what I have read on this board, as well as other independent forums, the greatest amount of pain of this 'upgrade' is suffered by APPLE or iOs users, in general.

My STRONG suggestion is that anyone that has suffered this fate, take the time to roll back to v2.3.5.30, or whatever firmware version you know worked, and wait for the developers to figure out what, and why, there seems to be so many issues with this update.

I am a HUGE supporter of the ORBI product, and have purchased numerous mesh systems for my daughters and sons-in-laws since none of then are tech savy in any way.  I did immediately call them and let them know of the issues that I experienced. I will continue to be a huge supporter of the product, but will add the caveat that they do NOT upgrade, or if they do and experience similar issues, manually downgrade (which I suspect I will have to do for them) to the above older version.

Message 26 of 33
RBMahan
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Firmware or Roku Spectrum App issue?

I have the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 (not in the list) and RBS40 with firmware version V2.3.5.34. I could not watch any channel on the Spectrum up. All other streaming services like NETFLIX and etc. worked okay. I called Spectrum and all three different help desk people I spoke to over the course of four days blamed the firmware version of the Orbi system. But they did not know what version was affected and they all told me to contact either NETGEAR or Roku for support. The last Spectrum help desk person said they have a meeting each morning to go over issues and he said they are putting out that Orbi firmware is the issue. 

After I reset my router and did not opt in for the NETGEAR Armor protection and I can now watch by streaming over the Spectrum App on Roku. (BTW, none of my 3 tvs would work which are all using Roku with the Spectrum App installed). I still see a freezing screen every now and then but it lasts for about 1-2 seconds. Before, it would freeze for long periods, then say "Buffering" for a few seconds and then would repeat over and over which means we could not watch any channel on the Spectrum App on any of the 3 TVs.  

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know that not using Armor helped your system. IT's not the FW issue persae, it's the Armor app support with in the FW that seems to be the problem. Once users factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch and don't enable Armor, users have reported that the Spectrum and Roku apps being to work correctly. 

@RBMahan wrote:

I have the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 (not in the list) and RBS40 with firmware version V2.3.5.34. I could not watch any channel on the Spectrum up. All other streaming services like NETFLIX and etc. worked okay. I called Spectrum and all three different help desk people I spoke to over the course of four days blamed the firmware version of the Orbi system. But they did not know what version was affected and they all told me to contact either NETGEAR or Roku for support. The last Spectrum help desk person said they have a meeting each morning to go over issues and he said they are putting out that Orbi firmware is the issue. 

After I reset my router and did not opt in for the NETGEAR Armor protection and I can now watch by streaming over the Spectrum App on Roku. (BTW, none of my 3 tvs would work which are all using Roku with the Spectrum App installed). I still see a freezing screen every now and then but it lasts for about 1-2 seconds. Before, it would freeze for long periods, then say "Buffering" for a few seconds and then would repeat over and over which means we could not watch any channel on the Spectrum App on any of the 3 TVs.  

Message 28 of 33
maureendaly
Aspirant

I just read this thread as I have been having the same issue for the past few weeks, freezing on the Spectrum app shortly after launching. Disabling Armor/Bitdefender worked! I don't like having to have it off but hopefully there will be update that fixes this issue.... Thanks to all, this ia great website.

Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Armor app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Thank you for letting us know.

Good Luck.

@maureendaly wrote:

I just read this thread as I have been having the same issue for the past few weeks, freezing on the Spectrum app shortly after launching. Disabling Armor/Bitdefender worked! I don't like having to have it off but hopefully there will be update that fixes this issue.... Thanks to all, this ia great website.

Message 30 of 33
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @maureendaly

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 31 of 33
scain145
Aspirant

I had this issue using Roku app on Spectrum internet with Orbi.  After hours with support and no resolution I saw this post.  I went into the Orbi app, on left hand upper corner home, settings, security, there is an enable netgear armor which I turned off.  My TVs now work great.  Not sure when they plan to fix this.

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@scain145 wrote:

I had this issue using Roku app on Spectrum internet with Orbi.  After hours with support and no resolution I saw this post.  I went into the Orbi app, on left hand upper corner home, settings, security, there is an enable netgear armor which I turned off.  My TVs now work great.  Not sure when they plan to fix this.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7