Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Guest Network Issue

JM01
Aspirant

Orbi Guest Network Issue

Hello,

I enabled the guest network and do not have a check in the box for "Allow guests to see eachother and access my local network".   However, when I use "Fing" or "Net Analyzer" on my iPhone I can see every device on my local network and ever device on my guest network.  This includes IP address and MAC address.  This is not what i would expect to happen.    V2.0.0.74

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

(To answer a few potential questions:  Yes, the iPhone is on the guest network.  Yes, I cleared/deleted/reset the network & devices in the Fing and Net Analyzer programs before scanning the new guest network.) 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
JM01
Aspirant

I have turned off the guest network. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will fix this issue.

Message 2 of 9
paulcjr
Aspirant

I have a client with a small coffee shop. She installed and setup her Netgear Orbi network (including guest network). I'm seeing the same issues with the guest network - same 192.168.1.x IP network as the main (supposedly private) network, etc. Doesn't feel secure at all since any guest can see ALL devices on the entire network including phones, point-of-sale devices, printers, etc. She is at current firmware 2.0.0.74 (as of 11/1/17). I'm probably going to recommend a different network solution for her business. This just doesn't feel right for guest access. - Paul

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use a Fingbox and have the same behavior, and it's exactly what I suspect since guest devices are on the same subnet.

Message 4 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you ping one of the IP addresses listed while your device is connected in Guest Network?

Message 5 of 9
paulcjr
Aspirant

While I don't seem to be able to ping other devices, I can SEE everything on the network including printers, servers, office PCs, POS servers and other guests. It just seems counter to everything I thought a "guest" network was supposed to be. I have read other posts where people can connect to some devices, but I haven't found that to be true yet. It feels like a major step backwards with regard to guest networks.

Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

FINGBOX doesn't use ping alone.

Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Per router specs, it is normal to see all devices that are connected to the router. It is not an issue.

However, as long as "allow guest network to see each other" is not selected then there's no way for the guest connected devices to access the main wireless network.

Message 8 of 9
JM01
Aspirant

ElaineM,

The 'specs' need to be revised -- > It's a poorly implemented guest network.  Please log an improvement request to make it function like a real guest network. 

JM

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7