Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi I have lost the ability to test speed

NonPlusUltra
Tutor

Orbi I have lost the ability to test speed

Hello, I'm still fairly new to the Orbi mesh system and I'm so far satisfied with it. One issue is puzzling me:

1. I've lost the ability to test the speed of my connection from it. I can still test it from the connected devices, but not directly from the menu in the Orbi. I get a "Connection Failed" message (If the problem persists, try rebooting your router). Obviously I have tried rebooting the Orbi, multiple times, even a cold reboot with no luck. Any thoughts? I find this useful to understand QoS in a work from home environment.

Thank you,

Fabian

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
NonPlusUltra
Tutor

Thank you. I will wait, I have to many devices to make it worth having the capability to test speed directly from the Orbi. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could try a factory reset on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

I usually don't recommend people use the built in speedtest anyway because its not the most accurate. It doesn't always pick the fastest server so can give you skewed results. It is nice for a handy quick test. 

Message 2 of 7
NonPlusUltra
Tutor

I was hoping for a less harsh solution than factory reset as I have a a fairly complex setup that's hard to replicate, particularly manually configuring smart home devices to connect to the router/ap. It is connected to a Netgear CM1100 modem/router.

I understand the caveat of testing for speed directly from the orbi, but I'm curious that is not working as it is nice to have for a quick test check.

Thanks in advance,

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Then I guess its up to you. 

If it bothers you enough, try the reset. If it doesn't, then leave it and see if the next firmware update fixes it. 

MIght not be a bad idea to make a backup configuration. That way if you did do a reset, you can always try reinstalling with the backup. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@NonPlusUltra wrote:

Hello, I'm still fairly new to the Orbi mesh system and I'm so far satisfied with it. One issue is puzzling me:

1. I've lost the ability to test the speed of my connection from it. I can still test it from the connected devices, but not directly from the menu in the Orbi. I get a "Connection Failed" message (If the problem persists, try rebooting your router).

Does Speedtest work correctly from user devices?  i.e. the only Speedtest that fails is from the Orbi web interface?

Message 5 of 7
MarcoNS
Aspirant

I tried the backup method, you will still run into the same issue. You have to factory reset and reconnect all devices one by one, that seemed to fix the issue but it was a pain reconnecting everything.
Message 6 of 7
NonPlusUltra
Tutor

Thank you. I will wait, I have to many devices to make it worth having the capability to test speed directly from the Orbi. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7