Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Latest Firmware not compatible with Yale Digital Lock!

YKkkk
Aspirant

Orbi Latest Firmware not compatible with Yale Digital Lock!

Hi all,

Recently i decided to upgrade my Orbi RBK50s firmware and it was the worst decision i ever made... only after installation that i realized Netgear actually removed the option for us to use Telnet to split the SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and now im stuck with my Yale Digital Lock that is installed at home and doesnt work as it is not compatiable with Mesh WIFI/ Network!

Anyone have any solutions on how am i able to split my SSID with the latest firmware for my Orbi RBK50s? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi Latest Firmware not compatible with Yale Digital Lock!

Hi

You may want to do a search for this topic has been discussed before.

What firmware did you update to?

Is it possible that you revert your firmware back?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@YKkkk wrote:

Recently i decided to upgrade my Orbi RBK50s firmware and it was the worst decision i ever made... only after installation that i realized Netgear actually removed the option for us to use Telnet to split the SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and now im stuck with my Yale Digital Lock that is installed at home and doesnt work as it is not compatiable with Mesh WIFI/ Network!

Anyone have any solutions on how am i able to split my SSID with the latest firmware for my Orbi RBK50s? Thanks!

The simple solution is to manually install the previous firmware and "re-split" the WiFi SSID's.  There are some forum posts (100's of entries) about splitting SSID's on the newest firmware.  It will take more time to wade through that in hopes of finding a solution than to install the previous firmware, but that is an option.

Yale appears to have more than one electronic lock. Which model is this one?

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@YKkkk wrote:

Hi all,

This is surprising that your Yale lock would stop working after upgrading your Orbi firmware.  What issues are you having with your Yale lock?  Are you trying to change its wireless configuration?

If your Yale lock only supports 2.4Ghz then the fact that a 5Ghz network with the same SSID should not be noticeable to it.  It only has a radio that can see and talk 2.4Ghz.

The problems with some IoT devices with mesh networks sharing an SSID between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz usually involve the mobile phone app getting confused.  Because the app can talk to both networks it has problems telling the 2.4Ghz-only device what to talk to.  This can occur during device setup, when your phone is connected to the 5Ghz network but trying to tell the device to connect to the 2.4Ghz network.  One workaround for these issues is to temporarily hide the 5Ghz network from your phone, setup the device, then turn the 5Ghz network broadcast back on.

But once your device and setup successfully with the 2.4Ghz, it should continue to work just fine.  If your Yale lock stopped working after your Orbi firmware upgrade then look for something changing with the 2.4Ghz network.  Did you make any wireless settings changes?  Have you confirmed that the 2.4Ghz network is still working?

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:

This is surprising that your Yale lock would stop working after upgrading your Orbi firmware.  What issues are you having with your Yale lock?  Are you trying to change its wireless configuration?

I believe the point of the original post was that the user had previously used a telnet hack to "split" the 2.G and 5G SSID's on the Orbi.

The Yale lock was connected to the previous 2.4G SSID.  Going from split SSID's to a single SSID is ugly.  Every device that had been connecting to whichever SSID is no longer available has to be reconfigured.  That's just a fact of life.  A lot of devices are almost painless to reconfigure (computers, smartphones, etc.)  Devices without keyboards are a lot more work.

It would have saved everybody a lot of grief if back in 2016 Netgear had advertised IN BIG, BOLD TYPE "This product does NOT support separate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G WiFi."  People who learned about the telnet hack came to rely on it and are now frustrated and angry that it no longer works. (Or, no longer works the same way.  I don't know because I have never used it.)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7