Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Losing wifi connection

kmansel
Aspirant

So in the last few days, i've noticed our Orbi's dropping their internet connection as well.  Was this due to a firmware update?  It was working fine until last friday.  Now it seems to drop the connection every day.  All we need to do is restart the orbi and things come back up, but this is really annoying.  Any idea as to when a patched version of the firmware will come out?

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 26 of 67
EnolaGuy
Aspirant

Folks, I am thinking of purchasing one of these, and I'm concerned about this Internet dropping problem.

However, I am pretty computer literate and reading all these messages, I wonder if maybe I have the solution for you.

If you currently own a cable modem and a separate router, I'll just bet you don't have the Internet dropping problem if you unplug your old router and use only the Orbi router.

However, if you have a cable modem with a built-in router, I suspect you are the folks that are having this problem. You cannot just plug Orbi into your existing router and hope for the best. Your built-in router will need to be taken out of router mode and put into bridge mode. There are technical reasons why this is important, but let's just say that having a router plugged into a another router is bound to cause you problems with internet connectivity.

Important! Once you configure your existing modem/router to be in bridge mode, you should only plug one thing into it!!! And that is your Orbi router. If you still have the option to disable wi-fi once you configure for bridge mode, I would do that too.

If you want to research why I am making this recommendation, start with a search of things like network bridge and NAT (Network Address Translation). Unless you are pretty tecnical, expect to be confused.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 27 of 67
ztevie
Guide

I doubt built in routers in cable modems is the problem. People have no problems with normal routers, or even other similar systems, like amplifi or Google WiFi? Several have mentioned that when they skip the orbi and just replace it with another router, problems disappear...

Edit: I have also considered buying this system but after all these threads...? No...
Every system has bugs and issues in the beginning, but Netgear seems to be completely silent about this which to me indicate they don't have a solution.
Message 28 of 67
sleepr88
Apprentice

I would NOT recommend the Orbi. I have had mine for over a year (and it used to be awesome), but a firmware update 6 or more weeks ago has made it junk. It disconnects multiple times, day & night. The disconnects mess with all my home control items(tired of having to reset some of them). And the satellite is in the bedroom, so as it cycles back to reconnect, it becomes a very annoying night light. At first it seemed like a problem with my ISP, but I quickly figured out it was my Orbi system. Netgear doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix the firmware either. And there is no way to turn off the automatic updates and/or roll it back to one that worked. I am frustrated, especially for what it cost. I am trying to figure out what system I should change to? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Message 29 of 67
wase4711
Luminary

just got mine yesterday, and it worked great for one day; today, I am seeing random disconnects like so many  others..

I have it connected in AP mode, to a switch in my office; my Cox/Netgear router wifi radio is turned off, and I have a seperate modem...I've connected dozens of networks over the years, so I know what I am doing, and, after seeing all of the posts about these random disconnects, I am ready to return this to Amazon and try something else; problem is, when this thing works, the speeds are awesum but I need something with 99% uptime, and I dont think this is it..

Any suggestions, or just dump it and try some thing else? Was considering an Amplifi, seems highly rated

thanks

Message 30 of 67
EnolaGuy
Aspirant

Well, I purchased one of these. I did not put my existing router into bridge mode, but I did turn off it's wireless and only have my ORBI router plugged into it. Everything seems to fine using my existing router as the gateway, so I guess I'll leave it that way.

Message 31 of 67
sleepr88
Apprentice

the problem is coming from Android Oreo devices... I verified by turning off wifi on my phone last night, haven't had any issues with Orbi... Netgear still has to come up with a fix for their end, because no way should a client be able to disrupt and REBOOT a router!

Message 32 of 67
wase4711
Luminary

no oreo devices in my house and the internet was dropping all the time, so that isnt the reason...plus, dozens of others have the dropping issue without any oreo OS on their devices..

Message 33 of 67
amrobx
Guide

I’m in a similar situation. I received mine today and haven’t opened it due to the multitude of issues I’m reading about. I have 30 days to return if necessary, but wanted to test it out prior to that. Unless major improvements are done, it will go back unopened in a month. I am currently evaluating 2 other solutions—Linksys Velop and a Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-PRO setup with cloud key, the latter of which I’ll have Thursday. So far my luck has been good with the Velop as an AP, minus some hiccups early on. Sadly, I don’t have many other significant newer options to compare it to—even less so without the Orbi. I do know that coverage is much better and speeds are more consistent compared to the Nighthawk X4 R7500v1. Peak speeds were higher on the old router, but in extreme proximity only

Message 34 of 67
Jmlesko
Aspirant

$500.00 for junk! Disconnects at least 3 times a day and has to be restarted each time. Packing it up and returning it tomorrow. DO NOT BUY
Message 35 of 67
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We currently have a beta firmware with many fixes for the 2.1.1 firmware you can find it here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/m-p/1476960#M19962

DarrenM

Message 36 of 67
Jmlesko
Aspirant

Ok, due to snowstorm I was unable to return so I just finished setting it back up and now installing the beta patch. I will report back with update. Been using Netgear for several years and started to loose hope, was glad to see that they are watching the Forum and addressing this. 

Message 37 of 67
sleepr88
Apprentice

Since I can't use my Pixel 2 XL or my Nexus 6P on wifi with the Orbi(obviously with current issue) I started using my old Note 3 to play games on. Well it also makes the Orbi system REBOOT every time it wakes up! I wish Netgear would just refund me for this junk system because it doesn't seem like they will ever fix it?

Any suggestions anybody?

Message 38 of 67
MSGA
Aspirant

I purchased the RBK50 bundle at Costco ($500) on December 7.  I then purchased a Netgear CM700 Modem from Amazon ($100).  We have a large home and the wifi signal in my home office was weak so I purchased an extra Orbi Satelitte ($229) from Amazon on December 18.  From the start the wifi signal would drop numerous times (5+ per day) but I was busy with the holidays and did not have to look into it.

On January 17 I called NetGear tech support and was told by the guy who barely speaks English that the problem was with my computer and that I needed to spend $199 on WizTech's Technical Support so they can re-configure my computer settings.  I spent over 2 hours on the phone with the guys and when he was done the Wifi worked well for about 3 hours.  My computer is now very slow as he seemed to install some software on it, and our Wifi still drops 5+ times per day.

I called tech support (WizTech) again yesterday and after 1.5 hours on the phone, they told me I had a bad router and they would swap it out, but I have to pay the shipping ($29).  Really????

I now have $500 + $100 + $220 + $199 + $29 = $1,038 invested in this Orbi system.  Based on everything I'm reading in this thread I'm guessing when my new router arrives that the problem will persist.  I am really regretting purchasing this system and expect that even if it does work, Netgear should refund me the $199 for Wiztech support and $29 for shipping.  Why should I pay these fees to get thier product to work after already spending over $800 on the product??

This is insane!!!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 39 of 67
cyouger
Aspirant

Good afternoon Darren,

I am using a RBR50 orbi and have ensured I am on the most recent Firmware and have made sure my wifi on the AT&T router is inactive but still have multiple internet disconnects a day.  My devices will not even show being connected to the Orbi...  

Is there anything you can do to assist?

Thanks

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 40 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the ATT modem/router in bridge mode or still running in router modem? If it's still in router mode, use the DMZ on the modem for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem.

Try the following on the Orbi router:

try temporarily disabling Fast Roaming, Daisy Chaining, beamforming and MIMO. Daisy chaining is only needed of you have two or more Satellites. Enable Beamforming and MIMO later on after checking the system out with out them being disabled.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-randomly-dropping-internet-connection-despite-V2-0-0-74/m...

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11

Set WPA2 and AES only. 

@cyougerwrote:

Good afternoon Darren,

I am using a RBR50 orbi and have ensured I am on the most recent Firmware and have made sure my wifi on the AT&T router is inactive but still have multiple internet disconnects a day.  My devices will not even show being connected to the Orbi...  

Is there anything you can do to assist?

Thanks

Message 41 of 67
kavpaul
Guide

Hi there 

I have Orbi RBK50 system in stalled about a week now.  I have two satellites off this and a 380M Fibre connection to my modem.  The modem is connected to the Orbi Router and etherney backhaul used for both satellites.  Most devices in our house are connected via ethernet.  Latest firmware installed also.

My problem is the music streaming system that I have had over a year is suddenly skipping/pausing for a second or two a couple of times in an hour.  very annoying.  This was never an issue until I go the Orbi system in place.  Is there a fix for this??

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 42 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded on the Orbi system?

What is the music system your using?

Is it connected to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz radio?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your Orbi is connected too?

How is the Orbi configured and place?

Distance between the router and satellite? in Feet.

Try the following on the Orbi router:

try temporarily disabling Fast Roaming, Daisy Chaining, and MIMO. Daisy chaining is only needed of you have two or more Satellites.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-randomly-dropping-internet-connection-despite-V2-0-0-74/m...

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

Set WPA2 and AES only. 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@kavpaul wrote:

Hi there 

I have Orbi RBK50 system in stalled about a week now.  I have two satellites off this and a 380M Fibre connection to my modem.  The modem is connected to the Orbi Router and etherney backhaul used for both satellites.  Most devices in our house are connected via ethernet.  Latest firmware installed also.

My problem is the music streaming system that I have had over a year is suddenly skipping/pausing for a second or two a couple of times in an hour.  very annoying.  This was never an issue until I go the Orbi system in place.  Is there a fix for this??

Message 43 of 67
kavpaul
Guide

Hi there 

I probably didn't explain correctly but the music system is all conected via ethernet and not wifi.  

My firmware version is V2.1.4.10

The music system is by Bluesound

My Orbi is connected to the latest Virgin Media Hub 3 which is setup in modem mode only.  

The Orbi Router is connected to this via Cat 6 ethernet cable and is acting as my main router.

I have two satellites connected of this Orbi Router. My house is over 3 floors and wifi coverage from these is quite good.  

The problem which is surprising is on the ethernet connection and not wifi.  No problems with it previously.  

Regards

Paul

Message 44 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a reboot of the system been performed?

So your streaming music using this system thats all lan wired to your PC or AVR?

Is the music system and other wired devices connected all to the back of the router?

Is there a network switch in the mix? If so, what is the Mfr and model of this switch?

You might try a factory reset of the router and set it up from scratch.

@kavpaul wrote:

Hi there 

I probably didn't explain correctly but the music system is all conected via ethernet and not wifi.  

My firmware version is V2.1.4.10

The music system is by Bluesound

My Orbi is connected to the latest Virgin Media Hub 3 which is setup in modem mode only.  

The Orbi Router is connected to this via Cat 6 ethernet cable and is acting as my main router.

I have two satellites connected of this Orbi Router. My house is over 3 floors and wifi coverage from these is quite good.  

The problem which is surprising is on the ethernet connection and not wifi.  No problems with it previously.  

Regards

Paul

Message 45 of 67
kavpaul
Guide

A reboot has now been performed as the system is only newly setup. Resetting and doing from scratch again is a pain considering I have only just set it up from new ! 

The router has ethernet out to my switch which is routed to the various items in the house.

In the last few mins I have removed the wired backhaul of the Orbis and put them back to using wifi.  Not sure if that will help but I will monitor.

I have two gigabit switches in the system.  One by D Link and the other is a Linksys unit.  No issues with them before so I dont expect they have anything to do with it.

If it dosen't start resolving itself I am going to return it.  Nearly £500 spent on it and I don't want these sort of issues or challenges from the system.

Message 46 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

what is the model of this switches?

@kavpaul wrote:

A reboot has now been performed as the system is only newly setup. Resetting and doing from scratch again is a pain considering I have only just set it up from new ! 

The router has ethernet out to my switch which is routed to the various items in the house.

In the last few mins I have removed the wired backhaul of the Orbis and put them back to using wifi.  Not sure if that will help but I will monitor.

I have two gigabit switches in the system.  One by D Link and the other is a Linksys unit.  No issues with them before so I dont expect they have anything to do with it.

If it dosen't start resolving itself I am going to return it.  Nearly £500 spent on it and I don't want these sort of issues or challenges from the system.

Message 47 of 67
kavpaul
Guide

Linksys LGS 108  

The D Link is too hard to access but is very stable and relaible.  

Funny since I removed the ethernet backhaul in the last hour from the Orbi system it is appearing far more stable. One of these was set up over powerline and the other through the Linksys Switch.

Could that have been the issue? 

Message 48 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible. Possilbe also that your switches could be Managed switches? You'll need to check with the Mfr of these switches to confirme they are managed or non-managed. Other users have posted about issues with manages swiches. Something having to do with IGMP protocol being enabled in them. Disabling IGMP was resported as a fix with managed switches.

Remove the switches and PL and try to test with a satellite directly connected to the router.

@kavpaul wrote:

Linksys LGS 108  

The D Link is too hard to access but is very stable and relaible.  

Funny since I removed the ethernet backhaul in the last hour from the Orbi system it is appearing far more stable. One of these was set up over powerline and the other through the Linksys Switch.

Could that have been the issue? 

Message 49 of 67
kavpaul
Guide

The Linksys Swiitch is NOT managed but I can't be sure about the D Link so I will swap that out for another Linksys unmnagaed switch 

Leave it with me and I can update again 

Message 50 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7