Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mini Router RBR40 cuts out every day

HascallDM
Aspirant

Orbi Mini Router RBR40 cuts out every day

My router (RBR40) stopped working about a week ago.  After going through the usual unplug and plug back in, it seemed to work fine for about an hour or so. So I did it again, and again, and again over the next 6 days.  I've spent a large amount of time on the phone with my ISP to determine that our signal is fine and that the problem is likely the router.  

I have tried moving my satellite.  This did not help.  Sometimes the satellite signal is good but the routers is not, and vice versa.  I purchased this in September of 2017.  I logged into my account to see a big red X next to everything Orbi offers.  I'm new to all of this and will admit that I have no clue what I'm doing but no help without paying a ton of money?  Seriously?  The thing isn't even two years old and I can't get customer service?

After reading some of these forums (which may as well be Latin because I can't understand a word) I decided to try the "start from scratch" method.  I got all the way to the last step and it asked me to find and connect to WiFi Network "Orbi84".  There is no "Orbi84" to select so I can't proceed in the install.  And now I can't even use the orbi profile I previously had.

No WiFi.  Frusteration for a week strait.  Nothing else to try.  If I unplug and plug back in, sometimes I get lucky for an hour or so.

Can anybody help me (understanding that I don't speak tech)?

I will likely just go buy another Router and I can sure as heck tell you it won't be anything from Netgear.  At least the rented garbage from the ISP will grant you some customer support.

Message 1 of 7
HascallDM
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Mini Router RBR40 cuts out every day

PS, I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds very condescending.  I really didn't mean to sound like that, I apologize.  Just looking for help.

Message 2 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi @HascallDM,

I got the joke and frustration.  🙂

If you can't find WiFi Network "Orbi84", you can try setting up the Orbi using Ethernet cable.  Once you connect Ethernet cable to one of the Orbi LAN ports, you can access it by IP address http://192.168.1.1, assuming your Orbi is not in AP Mode.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Echoing what @SW_ said, if you can hardwire in for setup this is the best. Its also recommened that any firmware updates be done over a hardwired connection.

When you reset the Orbi, did you do a hardware reset? (holding the reset button 7-10 seconds)

If you are able to log into the Orbi, what firmware are you on?

And I know you say the isp technician looked at your modem info and said everything was fine. with that being said, I've had techs say stuff was fine when it really wasn't. its helpful to post your modem model, the firmware on it, a copy of your logs and connections page. Once you get your device set back up, these are helpful with figuring out your underlying connection problem if it still exists. 

Message 4 of 7
HascallDM
Aspirant

Thanks for your responses! I guess I’m a little confused still. My router has always been hard-wired. I have a satellite (broadband) mounted on my roof outside and then I just plug the Orbi strait into a jack on my wall w/ Ethernet cable (no modem?). The Orbi isn’t wired to anything else (computer, etc.). Any Orbi related viewing/troubleshooting is done on my iPhone.

Does this make sense?

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Need a wired or wireless PC or laptop and browser to make changes to the RBRs web page settings...

Message 6 of 7
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@HascallDM wrote:

The Orbi isn’t wired to anything else (computer, etc.)...

To setup the Orbi using Ethernet cable, you must run a wire (Ethernet cable) from your Orbi to a computer.  Then open a brower and points it at http://192.168.1.1

If you are still unsure of how it's done, please download ORBI User Manual here and go to "Wired Connection" at page 29.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7