Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mixed Backhaul?

masonworld
Apprentice

Orbi Mixed Backhaul?

Does it make sense to have some sats wired and some wireless?  Is that even supported?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Mixed Backhaul?

Yes you can do that.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
masonworld
Apprentice

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
SMM_CO
Aspirant

MasonWorld... Curious to hear how your mixed backhaul is working I have just purchased a three unit set "53" and will likely need a fourth to cover my home.  The 4th will not be connected via ethernet for the backhaul.  Please let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks

Steve

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure if your going to use ethernet back haul and have a need to use network LAN switches, make them non-managed switches. There are problems surrounding managed switches and Orbi systems.

@SMM_CO wrote:

MasonWorld... Curious to hear how your mixed backhaul is working I have just purchased a three unit set "53" and will likely need a fourth to cover my home.  The 4th will not be connected via ethernet for the backhaul.  Please let me know what your experience has been.

Thanks

Steve

Message 5 of 9
mith_it
Luminary

Out of curiosity how big is your home and how are the 3 devices performing?

I bought the "53" as well expecting that the performance (as in distance covered) wouldn't be as good as advertised, but I have to say it DOES cover a lot of ground and I have been able to get good performance even with 1 router and 1 satellite. I'm debating reducing the wifi TX or removing 1 satellite.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm using 1 router and 1 satellite, 40 feet in between them in a 5000sq ft home, two story home. Great coverage and performance.

Building materials can effect coverage as well. Concrete and brick.

Message 7 of 9
SMM_CO
Aspirant

My house is just under 8,300sqft.  Three stories with 2x3,100sqft floors and 1x2,100sqft floor.  I currently just have the 3 pack (Router + 2 satelites).  I am going to see how that works coverage wise.  Add a 3rd satelite if I still have dead spots.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@SMM_CO wrote:

My house is just under 8,300sqft.  Three stories with 2x3,100sqft floors and 1x2,100sqft floor.  I currently just have the 3 pack (Router + 2 satelites).  I am going to see how that works coverage wise.  Add a 3rd satelite if I still have dead spots.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7