Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + Nighthawk

SunRed
Aspirant

Orbi + Nighthawk

Can I add a Nighthawk 1900 as an extender to the Orbi pair? I've a 6500 sq ft home and would like to keep my current 1900 router and use it as a "dedicated" extender in the Media Room. The Orbi pair can serve the rest of the home (two levels). This way, I won't have to buy another satellite Orbi. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rhester72
Virtuoso

Not directly, no.  You could give it the same SSID, but you wouldn't be able to take advantage of any sort of router-directed client handoff, and there's no way to link them with backhaul via wireless.

Rodney

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

Not directly, no.  You could give it the same SSID, but you wouldn't be able to take advantage of any sort of router-directed client handoff, and there's no way to link them with backhaul via wireless.

Rodney

Message 2 of 5
SunRed
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If I place the Nighthawk 1900 in the media room as an Extender to the Orbi network and give it the same SSID, I would at least ensure that stuff like Apple TV / Netflix don't drop off the wifi grid, correct? I would also ensure a steady download speed, I think. The media room equipment would be connected to the 1900 extender via Ethernet cables (cat 7).

Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

You can use the R7000 as your main router / dhcp server (with wifi enabled on the R7000 and configure the Orbi as the Access Point. Ethernet connect the Orbi to the R7000.

EDIT: All LAN ports on Orbi and R7000 can be used to connect devices to your network. Direct connect devices, or add a switch. Don't do extender..

Message 4 of 5

@SunRed wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think. The media room equipment would be connected to the 1900 extender via Ethernet cables (cat 7).

you can use the r7000 with 3rd party firmware on it as a client bridge and it will connect to the orbi 5 gig , look at something like dd wrt and client bridge ( as opposed to wireless bridge )

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7