Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Not Giving Half the Speeds Even

jesseb14
Aspirant

Orbi Not Giving Half the Speeds Even

Our Orbi has not been giving even half the speeds we pay for for months now. I had multiple calls with tech support and they have not been able to fix it either. It worked once at full speed for about 3 or 4 minutes then immediately stopped and went back to half speeds. Ive changed locations, settings, reboots, nothing. Even the guy on tech support gave up and said well if its still not working ask later. I shouldnt have to just call later because you cant get it to work. Its been over 3 months now of it not working properly and now it's pass the tech support date without paying extra... Over this. 

Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix it or what I can do to actually make this run at full speeds? The range extensions work fine, and I have coverage in my full house. The speeds are just 140-160 down when I pay for 400 down. When hardwired into my modem thats what I get but because of our home layout its just not a feesible fix. Thats why we have the orbi network.

Thanks for whatever help you guys can give me,

Jesse

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

So I assume you purchased new 3 months ago? If the system is defective it should be under warranty.

Who is your ISP and what equipment did they provide?
What is the current firmware on your Orbi device?
What device is your Orbi router connected to?

what cable size was used, as wrong size can cause slow speed. Need Cat5e or larger

How far apart or your satellites and router

Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.

Enable WMM, Implicit Beam Forming and Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 2 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

So I assume you purchased new 3 months ago? If the system is defective it should be under warranty. -- Correct I bought it 5/27.

Who is your ISP and what equipment did they provide? -- I have spectrum, and when we first moved in we had a regular router from them but it wasnt covering our full home (2100 sq feet, one floor)

What is the current firmware on your Orbi device? -- Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.16

What device is your Orbi router connected to? --  Motorola E31U2V1

what cable size was used, as wrong size can cause slow speed. Need Cat5e or larger -- Using Cat 6 to connect to the Orbi and have Cat 6 & Cat 5e connections on the satellites for the wired connections.

How far apart or your satellites and router -- My router is in the middle of my two satellites, One satellite is approximately 28 feet and the other is about 22 feet the other direction.

Message 3 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

So you have 1 RBR50 and 2 RBS50 satellites. Being AC3000, they should be 30 plus feet apart. Make sure Daisy chaining is off, since they are wired. 
Did you check these settings:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.

Enable WMM, Implicit Beam Forming and Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 4 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

So I have an RBR40 btw and the satellites are RBS20. It doesnt allow me to select the RBR40 model though in the posting. Also the satellites are not hardwired into the router or modem. I just have hardwired connections from my devices into the satellites is what I meant.  

Also, when I was on the phone with tech support they had me pull them out further originally and it actually got worse on my wired PC connection to the satellite so he had me move it back to the original position. The only time you can get full speed is standing directly next to the Orbi router using my phone after turning the wifi on and off on my phone then proceeding to speedtest. Also when speed testing the Orbi through the app I am getting 460 down so the speed to the Orbi is fine its just a connection and output issue I believe.

I just did the reboot with all of those settings changes you just recommended. Still after speedtesting only getting 220 down and 20 up.

Message 5 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

Im also seeing now that there is a new firmware update. Going to try updating that as well to 2.5.1.22

Message 6 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

Yea after changing those settings rebooting, testing getting the same results. Updating firmware and rebooting, then testing again. Im still getting the same results. Just barely half the speeds I should be getting. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

WIFI speeds can be less the further away from the router or satellites you are. Also interference can cause slowdowns. Use an app like NetSpot to see what neighbors are on what WIFI channels and choose a less crowded channel.

Message 8 of 16
Lylemats
Tutor

I'm getting the same issue.  I used to get 200-300 dL speeds and now I barely get 20. But oddly enough Speedtest thru the Orbi app is 200-300. I did all the updates and it's still the same. I've rebooted everything a number of times with the same result. 

Message 9 of 16
sorphin
Aspirant

Same issue as well.. router(s) can't get full speed from wifi but do from lan/cli. From satellite (unconfigured) full speed. Orbi Pros.. full speed.. only seems to affect my rbr50(s).. that used to get full 200Meg. If I reset them to factory.. < 100Meg.. Tweak, lucky to get 145Meg.. Satellites/Orbi Pros get full 200+Meg. _on the same channel/bands_.. Strangest thing I've ran into and nothing I've tried has fixed them. Regardless of NG FW or Voxell.

Message 10 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

For me I can get full speed if im standing directly next to my router orbi and I reset my wifi on my phone to make sure its connected to the router. Then and only then can I get my full 400+ and I have to be standing directly next to it. My PC doesnt have wifi so I have the ethernet plugged into my satellite. Through my satellite I get at MAX 200. I've tried just about everything. Reseting, moving locations, changing settings and channels. Nothing works. I ran through all the suggestions yesterday from the previous posts in this forum and my speed went from 140->200 but thats still just half my speed. And when I woke up this morning it was back to 130-140... 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 16
sorphin
Aspirant

I should note.. i'm 5ft eyeline from them (i try them individually).. RSSI is -30s for all except the 2 rbr50s which both do -50s.. same channels, same distance.. New pro just arrived.. rssi is -34.. same spot.. speed is full... something is very.... off with just these rbr50s (the satellites are rbs50s.. and are fine)

Message 12 of 16
Mstrbig
Master

@sorphin wrote:

I should note.. i'm 5ft eyeline from them (i try them individually).. RSSI is -30s for all except the 2 rbr50s which both do -50s.. same channels, same distance.. New pro just arrived.. rssi is -34.. same spot.. speed is full... something is very.... off with just these rbr50s (the satellites are rbs50s.. and are fine)

So you are saying the satellites are performing well and the Orbi RBR50 is not?

How far away are the satellites from the RBR50?

It is a figure of speed when you said "off with just these rbr50s", meaning you only have 1 RBR50?

Message 13 of 16
sorphin
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@sorphin wrote:

So you are saying the satellites are performing well and the Orbi RBR50 is not?

How far away are the satellites from the RBR50?

It is a figure of speed when you said "off with just these rbr50s", meaning you only have 1 RBR50?

i can run the rbs50s as aps (they apparently do that when not paired to a router.. neat).. i have 2.. both give me a rssi in the -30s (good)..  both rbr50s (also 1 at a time),.. both stock and voxell, same results.. -59ish rssi.. speed < 100Mbps after a factory reset, < 200 with my known working config. (was full speed until this week).. one of the rbr50s i just got yesterday (literally) along w/ its satellite.. 

to make it easier... everything (running stand alone 1 by 1 _not all on at the same time_), same distance, same channel:

rbr50 #1: rssi -59, chan 36/48/64, tx rate switches between 171 and various others, speedtest < 100Mbps stock, ~150Mbps tweak config (stock latest fw and voxell)

rbr50 #2: rssi -58, chan 36/48/64, tx rate switches between 171 and various others, speedtest < 100Mbps stock, ~150Mbps tweak config (stock latest fw and voxell)

rbs50 #1: rssi -36, chan 36/48/64, tx rate 800s, speedtest > 200Mbps (stock latest fw and voxell)

rbs50 #2: rssi -36, chan 36/48/64, tx rate 800s, speedtest > 200Mbps (stock latest fw and voxell)

srr60 #1: rssi -34, chan 36/48/64, tx rate 800s, speedtest > 200Mbps (stock latest fw)

srr60 #2: rssi -36, chan 36/48/64, tx rate 800s, speedtest > 200Mbps (stock latest fw)

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you using to speed test wirelessly? 

Some wifi devices, depending upon design and support Max out at around 400-500Mbps, depending upon connection rate and configuration and envrionment. 

Load up wifisweetspots app on your mobile devices and check the connection rate between them and the RBR. 

Does a wired PC connected at the modem then connected at the RBR result in same speed results or different? 

@jesseb14 wrote:

So I have an RBR40 btw and the satellites are RBS20. It doesnt allow me to select the RBR40 model though in the posting. Also the satellites are not hardwired into the router or modem. I just have hardwired connections from my devices into the satellites is what I meant.  

Also, when I was on the phone with tech support they had me pull them out further originally and it actually got worse on my wired PC connection to the satellite so he had me move it back to the original position. The only time you can get full speed is standing directly next to the Orbi router using my phone after turning the wifi on and off on my phone then proceeding to speedtest. Also when speed testing the Orbi through the app I am getting 460 down so the speed to the Orbi is fine its just a connection and output issue I believe.

I just did the reboot with all of those settings changes you just recommended. Still after speedtesting only getting 220 down and 20 up.

Message 15 of 16
jesseb14
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Not Giving Half the Speeds Even RBR 40

I was using the speed test app on my iPhone to test wireless. But Ive been doing all my main tests with my PC that is wired into an Orbi satellite. 

When I hardwired into the modem I get 400+ down. When I hardwire into the Orbi RBR40 router I get around 400+ down. When I hardwire into my satellite I get  around140. And when Im on wifi I get 140-ish as well. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7