Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Power Adapter Design

JPCMH
Initiate

Orbi Power Adapter Design

After a pretty in-depth decision process, I selected the Orbi for my home office. It was delivered Friday. I was pretty impressed with the design until I opened the power adapters, which are the dumbest things I've ever seen. The fixed prongs are set up so the flat rectangular adapter protrudes out from the wall. This would cause very odd loads on the socket and plugs and make placement very awkward. Frankly, I'm not even sure the design is safe. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had addressed this with Netgear and if they were working on a redesign. Meanwhile, the Orbi will sit on a shelf in its box for a day or two, until I decide whether or not to return it.

Message 1 of 7
giantmike
Initiate

I agree that it's a silly design. But it's easily fixable. There are many products out there that could adddress this. I would really recommend a surge protector on a device like this. But if you don't want to use a surge protector for some reason, something like this will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Wire-Cable-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B008NCDF36/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1496589...

Message 2 of 7
JPCMH
Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I get it, there are workarounds - and this is a pretty simple one. However, one might ask if it is designed this way to promote cooling? Does installation flat against the wall void a warranty? More importantly, does it create a safety hazard? Basically, was it designed this way for a reason - other than manufacturing or shipping convenience?

The fact is, that on their face the fundamentals of the design are badly flawed and NetGear needs to know it. They also need to know that having to do a workaround for a brand new design of a $2 accessory to a $400 system does not inspire confidence. I sure would like to hear from someone at NetGear, explaining why.

Meanwhile, it sits in its box. (But I really do appreciate your prompt response.)

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Go ahead and set it up. Then you will start having disconnects and can return it without any regrets!

Just kidding, I wish that on no one but if it happens it will be much easier to return than start the painful support process.
Message 4 of 7
jal0pez
Aspirant

I had the same concerns about the power supply. Seems like such an odd design and it sits awkwardly when plugged in.

Message 5 of 7
mahughesnh
Guide

I also think it is a stupid design.  I used a workaround to connect my satellite because it would not allow the cabinet I had it sitting on to sit as close to the wall as I wanted.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 7
martyfp
Luminary

dito - I ended up having to plug an extension lead into the socket,  put the extension lead under the cabinet with the adapter plugged into it, then run the orbi power lead back up behind the cabinet to the satellite.  It works but somewhat ungainly. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7