Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Prepurchase Question - MAC address

DHK1
Follower

Orbi Prepurchase Question - MAC address

When I install an Orbi system, it appears as if I have to go to orbilogin.com to start setup. My problem is that Xfinity has the MAC address of my current router in its system, so the Orbi won't be able to access the internet. How do I connect to the Orbi to change it's supposed MAC address to match the one Xfinity has on file? Does it have a default IP address I can connect to rather than orbilogin.com?

Message 1 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Message 2 of 5

@DHK1,

Are you using a CBK40?

The believe the image below contains the information you are looking for. 

final config.png

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You should need MAC addressing or Cloning. 

What is the MFr and model # of your ISP modem? Built in router here? If so,

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@DHK1 wrote:

When I install an Orbi system, it appears as if I have to go to orbilogin.com to start setup. My problem is that Xfinity has the MAC address of my current router in its system, so the Orbi won't be able to access the internet. How do I connect to the Orbi to change it's supposed MAC address to match the one Xfinity has on file? Does it have a default IP address I can connect to rather than orbilogin.com?

Message 4 of 5
randomousity
Luminary

Are you sure your ISP has the MAC of your router and not the MAC of your modem*? Regardless, you can conect a computer to your Orbi and configure it without having the Orbi connected to the modem, and, thus, the internet. When you're configuring the Orbi at that point, you can change it to AP mode, if necessary, and/or clone the MAC address of the Orbi. Once you're done, you can connect the Orbi to the modem and have internet access.

*Is your current router a modem/router combination unit?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7