×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

neargearz
Follower

Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

My Orbi RBR50 / AC3000 router has QoS under Advanced settings, but it does not do anthing or work.   What's up here?

A Speed Test is all I get.  Here is the screen.  http://wjturnermd.org/graphics/OrbiQoS.jpg 

Message 1 of 31
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Hello neargearz

 

Orbi does not currently have advanced Qos settings.


DarrenM

Message 2 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

It appears that it's not just advanced QoS, but no QoS seems to be working at all.  With a 100/10 internet connection, my ping times go to hell if my wife so much as uploads a few photos.

 

What's going on with this?  QoS has been a "coming soon" feature for years, this really isn't acceptable for a product that costs as much as this is.  Even $50 budget routers have functional auto-QoS.  Is Netgear just completely abandoning their Orbi customers?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

What FW version do you have loaded on the router? 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem your Orbi is connected too? 

 

How are you and your wife connected to the system? wired or wireless? 

Do you have the speed test in the routers QoS set up or left it alone? 


@joshv wrote:

It appears that it's not just advanced QoS, but no QoS seems to be working at all.  With a 100/10 internet connection, my ping times go to hell if my wife so much as uploads a few photos.

 

What's going on with this?  QoS has been a "coming soon" feature for years, this really isn't acceptable for a product that costs as much as this is.  Even $50 budget routers have functional auto-QoS.  Is Netgear just completely abandoning their Orbi customers?


 

Message 4 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

2.1.2.18 Firmware.  Hard wired connections to desktop PC (we also have plenty of wireless devices, but those obvioulsly aren't used for gaming).

 

Never had any QoS issues with my old $60 Buffalo, or the 15 year old Linksys WRT I had before that.

 

Interestingly enough, although I had run the speed test in the past (when initially looking to see why QoS didn't seem to be working) the speedtest on the Orbi now appears non-functional.  It just sits for a few minutes and says "could not determine internet speed.  Please check your internet connection or try again later".  Of course, going directly to Speedtest.net in a browser works fine.

 

I should have come to these forums before I bought this thing.  All of the reviews and documentation I read said QoS was coming soon and it was old information so I just assumed that would have been working long ago.

Message 5 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi system is connected to? 

 

I would upgrade to v2.1.3.4 and see how that works for you. I would manually download the file and use IE11 or FF browser with wired PC. After updating the FW, please do a factory reset ON both the router and Satellites(s) then set up from scratch. Do a speed test with out touching any QoS, Access Control or Traffic shaping. 

Message 6 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Sorry, realized I never gave you the modem.  It's an Arris TG1672G.  It is in Bridge mode with WiFi disabled.

 

I'll try the firmware update and reset and see how it goes.  Have you observed auto-QoS actually doing its job on these?

Message 7 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

For clarification, what do you mean by doing a speedtest without touching QoS?  Isn't the speedtest button the only QoS option that exists?

 

Message 8 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Yes, run a web page speed test with out doing anything to the speedtest on the router. 

 

I game with two xbox ones, 3 cameras, 3 DISH joeys and a Hopper, and many other devices. No problems like this. 200/10 ISP service. 

 

BTW, your ISP modem has it's own issues:

http://www.badmodems.com

Something to review when you have time.

 

Let us know how it goes after the update and reset. 

Message 9 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Let us know how it goes after the update and reset. 


@joshv wrote:

Sorry, realized I never gave you the modem.  It's an Arris TG1672G.  It is in Bridge mode with WiFi disabled.

 

I'll try the firmware update and reset and see how it goes.  Have you observed auto-QoS actually doing its job on these?


 

Message 10 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

OK, so far everything looks about the same after the upgrade and factor reset speed test wise.  I have not yet run the speed test on the Orbi.  You think I should test a QoS-needy situation like file uploads & gaming first before enabling QoS on the Orbi?

Message 11 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Also, do you play any highly ping sensitive games on your XBOXs like Rocket League or fast-paced FPS shooters?  Just curious if you find yourself regularly in a situation where the poor QoS would rear its head.  I play Rocket League and Quake Champions on my PC.  My wife now knows not to upload pics to Facebbook, CVS, or Shutterfly until giving me the chance to finish a match because my connection instantly goes to hell when she does, so I'll have to ask her specifically to do it as a test.  I also get brief spikes if my son connects to a new Roblox server, but it only lasts a few seconds.

 

Obviously neither of those situations should happen with even the most basic QoS in place.

Message 12 of 31
BBQ001
Initiate

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Does anyone have QOS working as it says it should in the manual?? (Select ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > WMM.) I only get the speed test, no other options, no WMM.

 

Message 13 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

I would run some tests first before using the speed test app on the router. See how things work for you. Should you want to do the speed test on the router, do this first, disconnect ALL devices, turn them OFF and only connect up a wired PC/Laptop to the router and run the run the test alone with the router and just the PC. This will make sure the test is ran well and accurately as possible with out any interferences from other devices being online at the same time. Test should result should be spot on or near to what you pay for UP and Down.

 

Once done, save settings and reboot and reconnect all other devices.

 

 

Yes, I play CoD and Halo on XB1. Have two game consoles online at the same times mostly.

 

Message 14 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Right, but do you actually have people doing activities that will saturate your upstream while you are gaming?  People watching netflix, surfing the web, etc. isn't going to touch your 200Mb down.  The question is whether or not your (or anybody) has actually witnessed an Orbi correctly handling a saturated upstream using its supposedly functional Auto-QoS implementation.

 

 

Message 15 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Also, I cannot seem to manually update the firmware on my satellite.  It's working, but it just times out when trying to load the /fwUpdate.htm page.  So my router is currently running the latest, but my satellite is stuck on 2.1.2.18

Message 16 of 31
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

I don't use QoS on my Orbi, because I use a third party router.  However, the way "Dynamic QOS" works on other NETGEAR routers is this:

1 You run the speed test built into the router.

2. The router then uses the measured speeds to setup queues and manage the load to avoid lag.

 

WIth this approach, there is no user intervention or settings required, beyond running the speed test.

 

If you click on the "?" help icon on the Orbi router Speed Test page you will find the following explanation:

 

Dynamic QoS Help

Dynamic QoS improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage. When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming.

Internet Bandwidth - Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth (recommended): Accurate Internet bandwidth is required for Dynamic QoS to work properly. The router automatically runs Speedtest the first time you enable Dynamic QoS. Click the Speedtest button to recheck your bandwidth. Avoid any Internet activity while Speedtest is running.

 

Message 17 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Can you connect a LAN cable with a laptop or PC to the back of the Satellite and log in to it's IP address and access the FW upate there. Use IE11 or FF for this. I should update if you have the correct version for your satellite model. 

 

Did you update the router first or Satellite? I guess it's been suggested to update the satellite first. 

 


@joshv wrote:

Also, I cannot seem to manually update the firmware on my satellite.  It's working, but it just times out when trying to load the /fwUpdate.htm page.  So my router is currently running the latest, but my satellite is stuck on 2.1.2.18


 

Message 18 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Well I got the firmware to update after doing a second factory reset on the satellite, so that's fine.

 

However, now that I see I'm an idiot and somehow missed that the QoS on this is only WMM, none of this matters.  There is no QoS for upstream or wired connections at all.  Dead end.  Apparently uploading pictures to Facebook and playing video games are "advanced" activities not to be engaged in by the "target audience" for Orbi, whoever that is.


Man, do I feel like a fool.  Can't believe I spent $300 on literally the least functional router I've ever seen.  My wife's gonna have a field day with this one.

Message 19 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Have you tried using the new FW with FB and gaming? I have two game consoles connected with a DISH Hopper system streaming both DISH and netflix while gaming. Also 3 cameras and 2 NESTs and phones. I don't see any problems while gaming. I'm currnently waching a movie thru my Hopper while roomate is on xbox gaming. PUBG.

 

Message 20 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Right, but the issue is you're not uploading anything significant.  Your 200Mbs downstream isn't going to be taxed by any of that activity.  I can have four devices streaming and play games OK too.  However, it's easy to tap out a 10Mb upstream with any sort of file transfer like uploading pictures or doing a file backup.  This is where the QoS is needed.  Games don't need much upstream bandwidth, but they need their packets to be prioritized to ensure fast response times.

 

I will test it again at some point, but unless they've added some new form of QoS, it won't matter.  This thing isn't even TRYING to prioritize upstream traffic.  It will simply allow my wife's picture uploads to saturate the upstream link, causing response times to skyrocket, exactly as it has done since the day I plugged it in.  Inexcusable lack of basic functionality.  I can't believe they've been given a pass on this in reviews.  

Message 21 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

You happen to still have your prior router by chance? 

Message 22 of 31
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?


@joshv wrote:

Right, but the issue is you're not uploading anything significant.  Your 200Mbs downstream isn't going to be taxed by any of that activity.  I can have four devices streaming and play games OK too.  However, it's easy to tap out a 10Mb upstream with any sort of file transfer like uploading pictures or doing a file backup.  This is where the QoS is needed.  Games don't need much upstream bandwidth, but they need their packets to be prioritized to ensure fast response times.

 

I will test it again at some point, but unless they've added some new form of QoS, it won't matter.  This thing isn't even TRYING to prioritize upstream traffic.  It will simply allow my wife's picture uploads to saturate the upstream link, causing response times to skyrocket, exactly as it has done since the day I plugged it in.  Inexcusable lack of basic functionality.  I can't believe they've been given a pass on this in reviews.  


How do you conclude the router is WMM only?  Did you read my post about Dynamic QoS?  This is separate from WMM.

 

Did you run the built-in speed test?  This would be required to activate Dynamic QoS.  Dynamic QoS works on a NETGEAR R7800 I have, and the only setting reqruied is to run the speed test--just like Orbi.  

 

Note that I can't confirm whether Dynamic QoS works on Orbi, because I use my Orbi in AP mode with a Mikrotik router, which does the QoS.

 

 

Message 23 of 31
joshv
Star

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

1. I do have my old router, but I don't want to go back to it.  My old Buffalo had started to lock up from time to time and needed to be reset every couple of weeks.  That and wanting to improve wifi coverage on the far side of the house are what got me shopping.  If I need to replace this, I'll just go ahead and buy something new.

 

2. I concluded it only had WMM based on Case850's post above stating such, which was a surprise to me, but when I googled it I did find several other reviews mentioning "QoS is limited to WMM at this time", although in hindsight I suppose it's possible they were referring to the settings available in the menu rather than overall functionality.

 

3. Yes, definitely interested in recommendations for a better router.  Despite their obnoxious asthetics, I may even consider one of those "gaming" routers just so I know I'll get some easy set & forget QoS that will keep my pings from spiking to 500 when somebody uses Facebook.  My wife is not at all happy with the current "check with me and wait until I'm finished with my stupid game before you upload any pictures" arrangement.  That's not what she expected when I convinced her spending $350 on a new router was a good idea.  Of course, I do need to manually run some tests with the new firmware first to make sure the situation hasn't been fixed.  Should have time to do that this weekend.

 

Thanks to all you for your assistance and suggestions.

Message 24 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi QoS does not work.. What's up?

Run the speed test with the router and ALL other devices disconnected from the router. Just your wired PC/Laptop with the router and modem. This will make sure the speed test is done accurately. After it's done, save setting then reboot. Then reconnect your devices during the reboot. 

 

Test and see how your upload processes are then. Again, I've seen no issues either download or upload while doing either process. I would have noticed this a long time ago if I did. 

 

I also have the NG R7800 and have zero issues with QOS on it. It's not running XR500 FW now. Hehe. 

 


@joshv wrote:

1. I do have my old router, but I don't want to go back to it.  My old Buffalo had started to lock up from time to time and needed to be reset every couple of weeks.  That and wanting to improve wifi coverage on the far side of the house are what got me shopping.  If I need to replace this, I'll just go ahead and buy something new.

 

2. I concluded it only had WMM based on Case850's post above stating such, which was a surprise to me, but when I googled it I did find several other reviews mentioning "QoS is limited to WMM at this time", although in hindsight I suppose it's possible they were referring to the settings available in the menu rather than overall functionality.

 

3. Yes, definitely interested in recommendations for a better router.  Despite their obnoxious asthetics, I may even consider one of those "gaming" routers just so I know I'll get some easy set & forget QoS that will keep my pings from spiking to 500 when somebody uses Facebook.  My wife is not at all happy with the current "check with me and wait until I'm finished with my stupid game before you upload any pictures" arrangement.  That's not what she expected when I convinced her spending $350 on a new router was a good idea.  Of course, I do need to manually run some tests with the new firmware first to make sure the situation hasn't been fixed.  Should have time to do that this weekend.

 

Thanks to all you for your assistance and suggestions.


 

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 7125 views
  • 13 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7