Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB50 performance is painfully slow even with ethernet backhaul

schneems
Aspirant

Orbi RB50 performance is painfully slow even with ethernet backhaul

I have an Orbi router and satellite set up in backhaul mode. The daisy chain feature is enabled and it is showing that the satellite is connected via a wired connection and the connection is “good”. The satellite is connected to the router by roughly 75 feet of cat7 cable. Both are on firmware 2.1.4.16.

When I run speedtest.net right next to the router, I get 600 Mbps when I run it right next to the satellite, I get between 10-17 Mbps.

Is it expected to see around a 98% performance reduction in network speed when using the satellite via ethernet backhaul? How can I debug or improve my setup? How do I increase the satellite performance?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 5
schneems
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RB50 performance is painfully slow even with ethernet backhaul

And not joke, as soon as I hit "send" and re-ran the test it came back at 400Mbps. I guess it must have detected that it was in trouble via my forum submission and started working.

I'm still curious about why it was so slow to start with?

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What device are you using when your speed testing? 

When moving to the satellite, have you turned OFF the wireless radio on this device then back on to let it connect to the satellite? You maybe moving towards the satellite, however your device has not disconnected from the router which is farther away and is still connected to the router, even though your closer to the satellite. This is a roaming issue with the device and the device may not be designed to roam based on signal and range.

Message 3 of 5
schneems
Aspirant

I used both a iphone 7plus and a mac book pro. Both of them I tried turning off the wifi and turning it back on between tests. Doing so did not change the results. My best guess is that maybe the satellite was still booting up or connecting or something and that even the resetting of my wifi connection just put me back on to a connection to the router instead.

It would be nice if something like orbilogin also gave you information about which device you were connected through. "You are using the satelite as an access point" or something. Without that extra information I had no way of getting the feedback that I needed.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You might turn OFF the satellite and run some speed tests.

Then turn on the satellite and give it 5 minutes to come to ready then test there.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7