Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB50 very slow speed (both wired and wireless)

SlowMo
Aspirant

Orbi RB50 very slow speed (both wired and wireless)

First off, my apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I searched the threads and could not find anything that matches my issue exactly.

I am on my second Orbi system in the past week.  The first one constantly dropped connections so I swapped it out with a replacement.  My biggest issue is with performance.  I am constantly getting around 5 Mbps download speed (Google's speed test and speedtest.net) over wifi as well as when my PC is directly connected to the Orbi router (RBR50 with firmware V2.0.0.74).  This is when my Comcast Gateway is in "Bridge" mode (i.e. not acting as a router).

If I use my Comcast Gateway as a router and connect my PC directly to it, I get 275 - 290 Mbps download speed.  Note that switching my Comcast Gateway to router mode does not impact Orbi's performance.

To be clear, here's my setup...

Comcast > Orbi > PC (wired and wireless) = 5 Mbps download speed

Comcast > PC (wired) = 275 Mbps download speed

Any tips or pointers?  Any other info I can provide that would help?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RB50 very slow speed (both wired and wireless)

After a firmware update, if you're having issues, one of the hints mentioned previously on this forum was to do an NVRAM reset and after that do a factory default reset. When those two are complete, reconfigure your ORBI as you want but do it manually. DO NOT USE any saved configuation files to reconfigure your ORBI.

Additionally, after the reset/reconfigure DO NOT USE the built-in Speedtest on the QOS setup page. Apparently, that test mode is causing some users to have slow-downs and other anomolies.   Having said all that, I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. Overall, I've been pleased with the performance of the ORBI system in my environment. There are still issues in my system too but nowhere near as many as other folks continue to report. One final note, I am running firmware version 2.0.0.74. It has been quite stable and gives me good wired and WiFi speeds. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 6
SlowMo
Aspirant

I appreciate the suggestions, but after trying that plus a dozen other things (including swapping wires, changing parameters, loading old & new firmware), I had zero success.  I put in Orbi and my download speed (connected) is still around 5 Mbps.  I swap out my old D-Link router and I get 275 Mbps.  Total garbage.  Return #2 and will try Eero now.

Message 3 of 6
SlowMo
Aspirant

Oh yeah, and it stopped being able to find my satellite and the phone app stopped working with a message saying my router model wasn't supported.  If it were the first one then I would be more forgiving but seeing as I already returned it once before for another set of problems, I'm done.

Message 4 of 6
Ckruse
Aspirant

I too am having the exact same problem. Your entire set up is the exact same as mine. Both wired and wireless are giving slow speeds. I cant keep resetting this every day just to get it to get back up to 4-500. I am on my second Orbi that netgear replaced for me. I bought this via Amazon and I cant return it because its past their date. 

How did you get a return? Did netgear refund you? Also, did you go to a new set up? and is it working? I need to look for something that works and your set up is the same as mine, so if you found something that works, its likely my situation would work as well.

Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!!!

Message 5 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

Have you tried a factory reset. Per this thread, it worked for me.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7