Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 13, signal strength indicator in App Question?

Duffy56
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 13, signal strength indicator in App Question?

In device manager in the app I sometimes get a signal strength indicator on 1 or 2 devices that is a ghosted light gray color where as a regular signal would be 3 green bars or possibly 1 or 2 green and the rest a brighter silver color. 1 device is my phone with the app on it but the app works fine when the signal is that ghosted gray color. It not always this way and curious what that means when it is ghosted gray like that. Tech support had no answer for me why it would do that.

Any ideas? Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 13, signal strength indicator in App Question?

Is this Orbi app on an iPhone or Android?

A screen shot of this might be helpful.  My Android phone app (v2.22.0.226) shows Green arcs and what I would call "dark gray".

Now that this topic has come up, I noticed that the app also shows every 2.4 device having a "Link Rate" of 400Mbps.  Even the ones with a single "bar".  What a hoot!

Question: Do you Microsoft Excel installed on a computer?  There is an app for Excel that displays more information than the app or the web interface.

Message 2 of 9
Duffy56
Aspirant

Here's a screen shot of the signal indicator problem in question. The one named Garage Echo Dot  is what I consider normal, but the one named JaLeen's 1st Kindle is a different color gray or silver from the other and not sure why it's that color. Like I said, the device works fine while indicator is that color.

I am running app on my Samsung android version 11 phone and the Orbi app is ver. 2.22.0.2662

Hope this helps. Any additional input will be appreciated, but if we don't figure it out I guess it works like this but I am always curious as I did building and equipment repair in a hospital for 41 years and I've seen alot of goofy things in my days but I always wanted an answer.

Thanks for any help you can give. Doug

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

All of my devices with fewer than full bars have the darker color on a Sony Xperia and Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I checked the web Attached Devices, which has only one icon for 2.4G connection and one icon for 5G connection. (not separate icons for each signal level.)  This leads me to think that the 'app' has logic which decides which icon to display for each device.  Really wish I knew how to 'deconstruct' the Orbi app to find out how it works, but..... (oh, well)

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

As it turns out, there IS a Windows app that can deconstruct an Android app, APKTool at:

https://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/ 

Downloaded the most recent Orbi Android app from APK Mirror and "voila", took it apart.

There are many versions of WiFi signal strength pictures, probably to account for the app being installed on devices with different screen size and resolution.  There are plenty with three green and gray bars, such as these:

And there are also pictures which are "all gray" (no green at all), but have four bars (counting the one at the bottom).

But I did not find even one that had three bars of all gray (no green).

This is upsetting because the screen shot provided clearly shows that JaLeen's 1st Kindle has three gray bars (no green. not four).

What I can see is that one of the all-gray images is labeled "very_low_signal".  And none of the images with green is "very_low".

Would it be possible to make another screen capture of this Kindle when it has a stronger signal?

Message 5 of 9
Duffy56
Aspirant

Here is screenshot of JaLeen's 1st Kindle with 3 bars of signal on it. I have 2 more pics I want to send but looks like I'll have to do them in separate posts because it says only 1 attachment aloud per posts.

Message 6 of 9
Duffy56
Aspirant

2nd screenshot.

Message 7 of 9
Duffy56
Aspirant

3rd screenshot

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for humoring my quest.  Alas, the icon with 3 gray symbols (one dot, two arcs) clearly appears on those screen shots, but I have looked at every png file in the Orbi app and cannot find one that looks like that.  Have no clue where it comes from.

The only "good news" is that I can certainly forget about modifying the Orbi app myself to change how it works.  OMG, what a bewildering collection of stuff!  It's all gibberish to me.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7