Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK12 & Nighthawk R7000 & Xfinity Help

Tomperro
Aspirant

Orbi RBK12 & Nighthawk R7000 & Xfinity Help

Hello, 

I have a multi part question.

I just purchased the Orbi RBK12 to extend my wifi and it is working just fine. 

I have read that I need to turn on bridge mode on my xfinity router/wifi (Model Numbers: CGM4140COM), but before I do that, I do have a Nighhawk R7000 (not in use).  

Should I get rid of the xfinity router/wifi and use the nighthawk?

Are there benefits over one or the other?

My current wifi network is set up as LaurensWifi and LaurensWifi 2.4.  I split the 2.4 and 5 so that I could assign my wireless smart devices to the 2.4.   If I enable bride mode on my router, will I need to re-sync all my wireless smart devices?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK12 & Nighthawk R7000 & Xfinity Help

1. The R7000 isn't a modem. The CGM4140COM has an integrated modem. You kind of need that. 

2. bridge mode for the CGM4140COM would disable wifi on it. 

3. you can always name your orbi the same ssid as your prior setup so devices auto-reconnect

4. another option would be to leave the CGM4140COM as is and place the orbi in access point mode. Then you'd have the option of connecting to the isp's wifi or the orbi wifi. You'd just want to make sure they're using different wireless channels. 

Message 2 of 4
Tomperro
Aspirant

1. The R7000 isn't a modem. The CGM4140COM has an integrated modem. You kind of need that. 

Sorry about that, I confused the nighthawk for a modem that I do have (need to find it to get model)

Yes, I read that having wifi on both the CGM4140COM & Orbi, it will slow things down

3. you can always name your orbi the same ssid as your prior setup so devices auto-reconnect

Can I distinguish between 2.4 and 5?  I currently have my 5ghz named "laurenswifi" & my 2.4ghz named "laurenswifi 2.4"

4. another option would be to leave the CGM4140COM as is and place the orbi in access point mode. Then you'd have the option of connecting to the isp's wifi or the orbi wifi. You'd just want to make sure they're using different wireless channels. 

same as my response to 3

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Tomperro wrote:

Sorry about that, I confused the nighthawk for a modem that I do have (need to find it to get model)

Yes, I read that having wifi on both the CGM4140COM & Orbi, it will slow things down-----only if they're on conflicting channels. you'd make sure the cgm and the orbi are on channels far enough apart that they don't conflict and they'd operate fine. 

Can I distinguish between 2.4 and 5?  I currently have my 5ghz named "laurenswifi" & my 2.4ghz named "laurenswifi 2.4"----no. the whole purpose of orbi is the integrated 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssid with band steering. But you could always name it laurenswifi 2.4 and then only need to re-setup the 5ghz devices. Or vice versa. 

same as my response to 3------not the same response. You can leave the cgm with the wifi names and name the new ssid laurens orbi or something and just move the devices to it as needed. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7