Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK22 Keeps dropping internet connection

Mozilla168
Aspirant

Orbi RBK22 Keeps dropping internet connection

I set up an rbk22 (Rbr20 + satellite) weeks ago and it worked fine.

The rbr20 is wired to my modem and the satellite wirelessly. Firmware is the latest on both (2.3.5.36)

In the last Week, it keeps dropping connection. Either the light is off but there is no internet or I notice it's violet.

I have to keep rebooting and it's driving everyone in the house crazy.

It started when my daughter got an iPhone 11 but that may just be a coincidence. That was the only thing that changed from the time it was working fine and started acting up.

I have circle installed and it also keeps discontinuing the premium subscription. I don't know if that's related though.

Mu-mimo and beamforming are Both enabled.
Fast roaming is disabled.

Hope this gets fixed soon. Driving me nuts
Thanks
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK22 Keeps dropping internet connection

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Mozilla168 wrote:
I set up an rbk22 (Rbr20 + satellite) weeks ago and it worked fine.

The rbr20 is wired to my modem and the satellite wirelessly. Firmware is the latest on both (2.3.5.36)

In the last Week, it keeps dropping connection. Either the light is off but there is no internet or I notice it's violet.

I have to keep rebooting and it's driving everyone in the house crazy.

It started when my daughter got an iPhone 11 but that may just be a coincidence. That was the only thing that changed from the time it was working fine and started acting up.

I have circle installed and it also keeps discontinuing the premium subscription. I don't know if that's related though.

Mu-mimo and beamforming are Both enabled.
Fast roaming is disabled.

Hope this gets fixed soon. Driving me nuts
Thanks

Message 2 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

OK i tried a trial and error process.
I first turned off the satellite and the main rbr20 unit has been working fine for 24hours now. So it must be the connection to the satellite that is causing the problem
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the question presented. 

Message 4 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

-Prolink H5204NK

- 1,980 SF (3 stories. Signals mostly needed in 2nd floor so both router and satellite are in the 2nd floor

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

- 10 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

2.4= auto
5 = 48

I can see signals from 2 neighbors when in the ground floor, but none on the 2nd floor where the or is area

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Will try these
Message 5 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

Reply sent
Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@Mozilla168 wrote:

-Prolink H5204NK
This is a modem/ router built in already:
http://www.rivijayaweera.com/public_html/?p=1108
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

- 1,980 SF (3 stories. Signals mostly needed in 2nd floor so both router and satellite are in the 2nd floor

- 10 ft <This is too close to the RBR. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

2.4= auto
5 = 48

I can see signals from 2 neighbors when in the ground floor, but none on the 2nd floor where the or is area

Will try these

Message 7 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

Thank you.
I can't access the modem admin panel because the isp disallow it.
I may have to buy a modem which I can freely configure.

I'll try the other suggested solutions in the meantime.
Thanks!
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

The Orbi internet was still unstable despite unchecking the suggested settings and moving the satellite farther away.

I bought a tp-link modem/router to replace my ISP's modem. I set it to bridge mode and things seem to be ok now. I've not yet set up the satellite and will observe the performance today first.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a problem caused by the ISP modem. Hope the new modem in bridge mode works well for you. 

Message 11 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

Apparently internet isn't stable yet.
Like when I watch a steaming movie on the tv, the stream would stop, the loading spinning circle would come in and the movie resumes after a few seconds..
This happened 3x In a span of 1 hour last night.
Funny it never happened with my 5 year old router before shifting to the orbi.
Will continue to monitor.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a faulty unit. I would seek to replace it with another if this continues. 

Message 13 of 15
Mozilla168
Aspirant

Thanks for your patience in replying.

Bought the Orbi in costco last month and have installed it in the Philippines.
Not sure I can return the unit.
I'll try to tweak other settings on a trial and error basis, and hope things get better
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements