Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK23 Router solid magenta

charleyp1
Star

Orbi RBK23 Router solid magenta

I've been having intermittent internet connectivity through my wifi signal (both 2.4 and 5ghz) and the Router (not the satellites) ring is solid magenta. I have several devices that are connected via ethernet cable that are on the internet without issue. I have rebooted, shut down, etc. multiple times. I can login to the router without issue. The internet is reachable sometimes, but goes down randomly (only for wireless devices). My setup is a bit unusual:

Verizon FIOS ONT direct connected to a PFSense firewall/router virtual machine (ESXi). 2 NICs out from there: 1 to a physical switch and the other to the Orbi Router (setup in AP mode). 

This setup has been running for 4 years, mostly without issue. there have been 2 events that have changed the equation a bit. 1. Power outage about 5-6 weeks ago. Power went down, then up quickly and back down. 2. I updated the router firmware a week or so ago to the latest (2.7.4.24). I suspect the latter is the issue as it wasn't until that point that this issue started. I have not yet rebooted my firewall/router so maybe that's my next step...? I'd rather not factory reset the Orbi as I just spent a long time custom naming all of my connected devices, lol... If I do a backup, can I then restore it after the factory reset, or might that reintroduce whatever the issue is? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Even in AP mode, you still connect the main RBR using its wan port. 

That could be why its magenta

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would try making the backup and do the factory reset. 

If you can, try it for a bit before installing the backup. Reason I say that is if something corrupt in the router's settings, restoring the backup just puts the corruption back on it. 

Message 2 of 12
charleyp1
Star

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. I see that as a solution in many of the posts on this topic. Are you aware of some sort of issue with Orbis that necessitate this step? It seems like a pretty invasive "fix", especially for those folks using it as an actual router that have firewall rules and whatnot. Thanks again. I'll reply once I go through this step.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

You normally don't have any issues. I've done numerous installs of different orbi systems with multiple different firmware updates. I think I've maybe needed a reset only a handful of times and that's over about 6-8 years. Its become more of an issue lately to where people are having issues after an update and the reset helps resolve it. 

Message 4 of 12
charleyp1
Star

Well, a rebuild didn't stop the solid magenta, but I do seem to have improved internet access. Time will tell. I also noticed that the Orbi software is now able to identify most of my attached devices. In other words, if I look in the attached devices page, it knows that an Apple devices is Apple, etc. It even knows what devices are virtual machines. It did not do that, even after the latest firmware update. So, I guess that's a bonus? lol.

I have an older laptop that will not connect to my primary wifi network but it will to my guest network which is bizarre. I have many other devices that are connecting just fine however. Weird anomalies. 

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Usually when the router is colored magenta (usually pulsing) it means there's a wan port connection issue. 

If the reset didn't help, it might be time to start checking into your pfsense setup. 

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Message 7 of 12
charleyp1
Star

Hmm, I've considered this possibility, but here's where I hesitate: It's been running fine for 4 years in this configuration. The ring on the main node is solid magenta which does not correspond to anything in the KB article, unfortunately, other than for a satellite node, but those are all registering as normal. Lastly, I'm not using the WAN port on the Orbi as it is in AP mode. The only significant change to the environment in recent months is the Orbi firmware update a week or so ago. Regardless, I'll look through my PFSense logs and see if there's anything to see there. I do see 3 errors streaming in the Orbi logs. It looks like there are 3 MAC addresses being rejected for WLAN access. I presume they are devices I have yet to reconfigure since I changed the wifi password.

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

Even in AP mode, you still connect the main RBR using its wan port. 

That could be why its magenta

Message 9 of 12
charleyp1
Star

Interesting. I was not aware of that. My connection is pfSense > network switch > Orbi main node (in a LAN port). Is there any special configuration I need to do if I move it to the WAN port?

Message 10 of 12
charleyp1
Star

Well, snap. You’re right. I moved the connection from a LAN port to the WAN port and bounced the Orbi again and it came back. No magenta light for almost 2 hours. Thanks! Crazy that it was a simple thing.
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad it was a simple fix! Hope it stays working solid for you

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements