Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 Losing “internet connection” with wired backhaul

rhamlinj
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Losing “internet connection” with wired backhaul

I had a power outage overnight. It was brief (~45 minutes) but this morning I had no WiFi. I reset the isp cable modem (arris sb6190) the router and two satellites. I left my Ethernet cables for backhaul hooked up to the satellites when i reset them. I could see that the SSID was broadcasted but it said no internet connection. Through trial and error I realized I could get it to broadcast and connect if I did not hook up the Ethernet backhaul. But as soon as I connected the Ethernet backhaul I get the “no internet connection” error on my wireless devices. A similar thing happened a few month when I updated the firmware. That time I did a complete reset and reconfigured everything from the factory reset. That’s a pain and I’d like to avoid that every time I have a power outage or surge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy Chain on the router. 

After the reset, did you re-add the satellite(s) via wireless first to get the top led to turn on BLUE, then connect the lan cable between the router and satellite(s), one at a time, wait 5 minutes for the top led to turn on BLUE? 

Is there any network switches in the mix between the router and satellite? If so, Mfr and model# ? 

Message 2 of 4
rhamlinj
Aspirant

Thanks I will give disabling the daisychain a try. I have just been using it without wired backhaul for now. When I intially set up the router I used the iOS mobile app and again after the last time this issue happened. I don't remember setting an router password and the default admin/password combination isn't working.  The password recovery feature seems to be active but my answers to the questions are not correct.  Mainly because one of the questions is "What is your youngest sister's name?" and I do not have a sister.  Do you have a suggestions on how access the settings another way?

I do have a couple of switches in the mix.  I have an Araknis AN-100-SW-R-S that splits into a Microprice 12 port cat 5e patch panel that goes to various hubs in wall ports in home two of which I used for wired backhaul. The other connection from the Araknis goes to a Netgear GS608 network switch that supplies a bunch of AV equipment (satellite TV box, Bluray player, Apple TV, sonos bridges, etc).

Thanks again for the reply.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If the PW can't be recovered, it's recommended to use a wireld PC and reset the ORbi router and walk thru the set up wizard, give answers here to the questions presented and new PW and write this information down for safe keeping some place.

Your two switches look like there NON Managed which is good. Orbi systems have problems with Managed switches from what we've been finding out. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7