Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi (RBK50). Router sends 150mbs but the satellite speed test shows 40mbps

sharok
Tutor

Orbi (RBK50). Router sends 150mbs but the satellite speed test shows 40mbps

I get 150mbs from my Netgear modem (CM700) to my Orbi router speed test using a desktop hard wired to my router. Orbi satellite is downstairs and when I speed test using my wireless laptop I get about 40mbps.

Is there any way to boost the satellite to get more speed with it?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi (RBK50). Router sends 150mbs but the satellite speed test shows 40mbps

If you measured 85 Mbps from Ookla you can trust that.  You can also try this speed test site: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

For testing the speed of your network you should use a tool like iperf3, and test between two computers on your LAN.  Internet speed tests can be variable and can lead you to incorrect conclusions.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

First, make sure your laptop is capable of speeds faster than 40 Mbps, by testing it connected via WiFi to your Orbi router. The laptop may be limiting your speed.

If the laptop is not the bottleneck, then the problem is likely the speed of the Orbi backhaul between the Orbi router and satellite.  You may need to move the satellite closer to the Orbi router, so it gets a better connection to the router.

Message 2 of 6

so to expand on this and help you get the sat in the right location ( turning of the wifi on the laptop for the present )

connect the laprop via ethernet first to the cm700 and test its speed

the connect the orbi router to the cm700 and the laptop to one of the lan ports on the orbi router and test the speed ( should be the same as direct to the cm700)

next bring the osbi sat upstairs and in the same room as the router but not to close say 5 meters or so

now connect the laptop to the orbi sat and test the speed

you should get the same speed or close to the above measurements

----

next move the sat and laptop down stairs and redo the test ,

if the speed is much lower the sat is to far from the router and you need to move it closer

if the speed is the same as the initial tests you then know the backhaul is connected well

-----

at this poing disconnect the laptop from the orbi sat ethernet wise and turn back on the wifi on the laptop and connect to the orbi and redo the speed test

when you are connected to the orbi by wifi also check its connection speed by accessing its local area connection

open network and sharing center and click on the blue link to its wifi connection

a page will open saying wifi status at the top

on the page it will indicate what speed you are sync'd at

the orbi is capable of upto 867M sync wise but your wireless adapter in the laptop may not be , so post back what speed it show

see how you go with that and get back to us

Message 3 of 6
sharok
Tutor

This is a little odd. I came home to start the test procedure you suggested me. But I wanted to run the speed test again, this time with Ookla (a friend of mine told me to use that site for the test).

With Ookla without moving my laptop, I got 85Mbps, while with Cox Internet speed test I get 48Mbps.

My Internet is with Cox.

Which one should I trust?

Cox or Ookla?

If my speed is 85Mbps as Ookla indicated, I'll be very happy with it.

Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

If you measured 85 Mbps from Ookla you can trust that.  You can also try this speed test site: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

For testing the speed of your network you should use a tool like iperf3, and test between two computers on your LAN.  Internet speed tests can be variable and can lead you to incorrect conclusions.

Message 5 of 6
sharok
Tutor

I used the website that you suggested. that one shows me even higher Mbps than Ookla, it says 90Mbps.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7