Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 Satellite

YKkkk
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 Satellite

Model: Orbi RBK50

Firmware: Latest

Hi everyone,

I'm YK from Singapore and i require some urgent assistance from the community over here today! Currently im using Orbi's RBK50 (Living Room) + satellite (Study Room). Today i attempted to connect my company's issued laptop to Orbi's satellite in the study room however the Internet connection keeps dropping despite the laptop reflecting "Connected". 

I manage to did some trial-and-error and isolated the issue to the compatiability of the Orbi's satellite with my company's laptop. This is because i manage to connect to the Orbi's Main Router without any issues unlike this connection to satellite issue.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
vajim
Master

How far is the sat from the router?

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwarding-doesn-t-work/td-p/198...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Solution-for-ORBI-RBK50-constant-disconnects/m-p/1998420/highl...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@YKkkk wrote:

Model: Orbi RBK50

Firmware: Latest

Hi everyone,

I'm YK from Singapore and i require some urgent assistance from the community over here today! Currently im using Orbi's RBK50 (Living Room) + satellite (Study Room). Today i attempted to connect my company's issued laptop to Orbi's satellite in the study room however the Internet connection keeps dropping despite the laptop reflecting "Connected". 

I manage to did some trial-and-error and isolated the issue to the compatiability of the Orbi's satellite with my company's laptop. This is because i manage to connect to the Orbi's Main Router without any issues unlike this connection to satellite issue.

Message 3 of 15
alokeprasad
Mentor

Does your laptop have an ethernet port?

If yes, see if the internet connection is stable when connected to the ethernet port on the satellite.

Are other devices connected to the satellite functioning correctly?

PS: trying to see if the problem is with the wireless backhaul connection between the RBR and RBS or with the WiFi connection of the device to the RBS ...

Message 4 of 15
vajim
Master

Message 5 of 15
YKkkk
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

The Sat is approx 5 meters away from the router, shouldnt be too far away right?

Message 6 of 15
vajim
Master

@YKkkk wrote:

@vajim wrote:

The Sat is approx 5 meters away from the router, shouldnt be too far away right?

Try it

as long as the sat rim light stays OFF you should be fine 

Message 7 of 15
YKkkk
Aspirant

@alokeprasad wrote:

Does your laptop have an ethernet port?

If yes, see if the internet connection is stable when connected to the ethernet port on the satellite.

Are other devices connected to the satellite functioning correctly?

PS: trying to see if the problem is with the wireless backhaul connection between the RBR and RBS or with the WiFi connection of the device to the RBS ...

Unfortunately my MBP does not have any ethernet port 😕 But my 2x iPhone and Macbook Pro was able to connect to the satellite without any issue base on what i see in Netgear Orbi's interface.

Message 8 of 15
YKkkk
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@YKkkk wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Try it

I mean 5 meters is within the recommended range right? 

Message 9 of 15
vajim
Master

@YKkkk wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@YKkkk wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Try it

Yes    5 meters = about 16 feet.    Should be fine.   You can actually go about 9 meters 

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

5 Meters is too close.

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@YKkkk wrote:

Message 11 of 15
YKkkk
Aspirant

Yes    5 meters = about 16 feet.    Should be fine.   You can actually go about 9 meters 

Hmmm my Sat light is off and i didnt have any issue connecting my iPhone or MBP to the satellite 😕 Anyway i have this "GlobalProtect" VPN on my company's laptop, could this be messing up with the satellite and not the router?

Message 12 of 15
vajim
Master

@YKkkk wrote:

Hmmm my Sat light is off and i didnt have any issue connecting my iPhone or MBP to the satellite 😕 Anyway i have this "GlobalProtect" VPN on my company's laptop, could this be messing up with the satellite and not the router?

I wouldn't think so

the vpn on the laptop is for the laptop 

if it bothers you turn it off when not needed 

Message 13 of 15
YKkkk
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@YKkkk wrote:

I wouldn't think so

The problem with this company laptop that was issue to me is that i had to login to this VPN inorder to gain access to the internet and turning off isnt any options as it has been overwrite by the adminstration.

Message 14 of 15
vajim
Master

@YKkkk wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@YKkkk wrote:

I wouldn't think so

The problem with this company laptop that was issue to me is that i had to login to this VPN inorder to gain access to the internet and turning off isnt any options as it has been overwrite by the adminstration.

Don't worry about.  Another option would be to shut the laptop off when not in use 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7