× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi (RBK50) Wireless speed issue

hongchiy
Aspirant

Orbi (RBK50) Wireless speed issue

If I connect my laptop, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2014, directly to RBR50's ethernet port, I can get about 300Mbps(download)/100Mbps(upload) on speedtest, close to my plan with the ISP; but if I connect to the network wirelessly, I only get 80Mbps/60Mbps. I am testing just a few feet away from the Orbi router. Firmware version is V1.11.0.20

Anyone has a solution to this?

Thanks ~

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Orbi (RBK50) Wireless speed issue

check  the laptop is connecting to the 5 gig as if connecting to the 2.4 gig it will have those speeds 

mbp's are known for flakey wifi 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

check  the laptop is connecting to the 5 gig as if connecting to the 2.4 gig it will have those speeds 

mbp's are known for flakey wifi 

Message 2 of 5
hongchiy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

It is connecting to 2.4G; I didn't know this is the speed that I should expect with 2.4G. My version of mbp cannot see Orbi's 5G wifi channels 36,40,44,48, with the country code I have (Taiwan). I think I either need to get a newer laptop or change the region setting on Orbi, potentially causing conflicting-country-codes problem to nearby wifi clients.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 5

where did you buy the orbi from ?

strange as almost all countries use ch 36 to 48 for 5 gig , are you sure its actually got a dual band  adapter in it ?

Message 4 of 5
hongchiy
Aspirant

I got it from a local e-commerce website.

I did some digging; in my country, channels 36 ~ 48 were not allowed before 2015. And since mbp changes its wifi setting depending on the country that it thinks you're in, when it sees "Taiwan" on my router (or any other router nearby), it will block these channels. Newever version of mbp will be able use these channels.

Before Orbi, I used a netgear R7000 as my wifi router, and I could connect to its 5G without an issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series