Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 connection issues

Jonathan245
Follower

Orbi RBK50 connection issues

Hi, to clarify, I have one Orbi router and one satellite running firmware version V2.5.1.8. I have a 300Mb/s internet plan and my WiFi speeds are great with my other devices, but the speeds on my iPhone XR are subpar and sometimes plain bad. I'm usually about 20 feet from the satellite and 50 feet from the router while using my phone. I'm pretty positive that the reason for the slow speeds is that my phone is being automatically connected to the 2.4Ghz frequency giving me speeds of 10-30 Mb/s when the 5Ghz connection provides 150+ Mb/s in the same location. Is there some way to only allow my phone to connect to the 5Ghz frequency or anything that may help? Thank you

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBK50 connection issues

@Jonathan245 wrote:

Hi, to clarify, I have one Orbi router and one satellite running firmware version V2.5.1.8. I have a 300Mb/s internet plan and my WiFi speeds are great with my other devices, but the speeds on my iPhone XR are subpar and sometimes plain bad. I'm usually about 20 feet from the satellite and 50 feet from the router while using my phone. I'm pretty positive that the reason for the slow speeds is that my phone is being automatically connected to the 2.4Ghz frequency giving me speeds of 10-30 Mb/s when the 5Ghz connection provides 150+ Mb/s in the same location. Is there some way to only allow my phone to connect to the 5Ghz frequency or anything that may help? Thank you

How long have you had V2.5.1.8. I?

There are known issues.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@Jonathan245 wrote:

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@Jonathan245 wrote:

It's the firmware.....why won't you admit it?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7