Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 firmware V2.2.1.210 update slows WAN speed with 30 to 40%

miau101
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 firmware V2.2.1.210 update slows WAN speed with 30 to 40%

Firmware V2.2.1.210 slows down my internet speed with 30 to 40%. After bringing it back to V2.1.4.16 the speed is back to normal. No upgrade here!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router and satellites after installing the FW upate? Others mention doing this has helped them. 

Message 2 of 15
miau101
Tutor

Hi Furry,
No I did not do a factory reset. At least 15 devices has to setup their wifi settings again. And the complaining of my children and wife is not something I am waiting for. And on the other hand why should I upgrade? Its okay so. Only when I buy the outdoor sattelite, in which I am interested, will change the situation.
For now I am not doing a factory reset but thanks for hand out this solution.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep that in mind for the next FW update. Others say it's helped them. Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 15
miau101
Tutor

Can't believe this happening. The router updates automatically. What's the point of revering to an older version? As far as I can see its not something that can be override.

And above of al, I did reset the router and set it up again..the speed is still worse! All the work for nothing.

Message 5 of 15
miau101
Tutor

Ha..found the solution.

Disconnect from the Internet

Reverse to the previous firmware.

And then follow this article: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5 from Butch1326

To stop the Orbi from installing the updated firmware automatically follow the steps below.  

Perform these step after you downgraded the firmware to a prior release.

1) Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

2) Login <username> <password> when prompted

3) Check Enable Telnet

4) Start a Telnet session.  I use Putty.  Enter the <Router IP Address> Telnet is using port 23

5) You can skip this step if you like.  I am calling it out for illustration purposes only...  

Type nvram show | grep auto_* <ENTER>

You will see a list similar to this:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep auto_
vpn_access_mode=auto
wl_auto_antenna=1
set_auto_agreement=0
orbi_auto_upgrade=1
ipv6_autoConfig_dns_assign=0
ipv6_autoConfig_dns1=
ipv6_autoConfig_dns2=
upnp_enable_autoScan=0
ipv6_auto_dns_assign=0
bas_auto_conn_flag=0
orbi_auto_upg=0
autofw_port0=
ipv6_auto_dns1=
ipv6_auto_dns2=
qos_auto_bandwidth=0
green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
enable_dev_auto_refresh=1
wl_rate=auto
auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1
root@RBR50:/# root@RBR50:/#

The 3 configurations highlighted above you will want to update the value from =1 to =0

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

6) To update run the following commands:

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

7) Type the following commands to confirm the 3 configurations are set to =0

nvram show | grep orbi_auto_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_check_for_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_update <ENTER>

😎 After you confirmed the 3 configuration values are set to =0 then type nvram commit<ENTER> (this step will save the changes)

9) Type exit to terminate the telnet session

10) Go back to the <Router IP Address>/debug.htm web page and uncheck Enable Telnet

Please note within a day or so the Orbi will know there is an updated firmware release available but it will not automatically install it.  If you do go back into a Telnet session after the Orbi knows there is an updated firmware release the configuration orbi_auto_upgrade will have a value greater than 1.  That is okay.  Do not change the value back to =0

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Your URL link is not correct. Where did you find this information? When you find it, select the 3 vertical dots on that message, then select PermaLink. When you do this, then copy and paste the URL seen in the browser at the top. This makes a link to the post your referring too. 

Some have said that this no longer works. Hopefully not. 

Message 7 of 15
miau101
Tutor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1323973/highlight/true#M103...
Can't tell if this solution not lasting. I will update next week if the router not updating anyway.
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you notice anything or if something happens. 

Also again, loading up v210 manually and factory reset the system and set up from scratch will probably fix what you saw before. Also Enabling Daisy Chain as well on v.210. Try that at some later date. 

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 15
jeffb99
Aspirant

Thanks again everyone.  It was a bit stressful last night as it went real bonkers about 2 hours before I was to join a launch call for work.  I got a work around working last night.

The solution above is interesting as I don't like anything that forces auto updates.  Just for the reason I experinaced last night.  I'd also like a way to have the re-authentication in the admin tool pop so much.  It seems to pop after only 30 seconds of inactivity.  Given the length and complexity of my admin passowrd, I prefer typing it as little as possible once in the tool.

Message 10 of 15
jeffb99
Aspirant

Little did I know how valuable the above would be.  1 hours after downgrading the firmware, in the middle of my day at work, it auto updated the firmware and bam, kick off my work network and back to square one.  Netgear never, never, never force auto updates and should always have a way in the admin tool for me to turn it off so that I can manually update.  I'll be adding the block site option above and will look at the telnet option after my workday.  Argh.  I can not express my frustration with Netgear at this time.  If not for this community I would have taken a hammer to my orbi system and went to my local vender to buy anything other than Netgear equipment and would never come back.  Netgear still has a shot to fix this, but this need to get this right.

1:  Stop auto updates and give me a way to opt. out of them

2:  If using Agile, stop or at least re-implement proper testing processes.

3:  Stop forcing customers to be your testers, customer support, and debuggers.

Oh how I wish I could send them a bill for my time right now.

Thanks again to the community.  My venting it aimed at Netgear.

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try this if you choose to go back to v210:

ttps://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highlight/true#M42416

Keep in mind, If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@jeffb99 wrote:

Thanks again everyone.  It was a bit stressful last night as it went real bonkers about 2 hours before I was to join a launch call for work.  I got a work around working last night.

The solution above is interesting as I don't like anything that forces auto updates.  Just for the reason I experinaced last night.  I'd also like a way to have the re-authentication in the admin tool pop so much.  It seems to pop after only 30 seconds of inactivity.  Given the length and complexity of my admin passowrd, I prefer typing it as little as possible once in the tool.

Message 12 of 15
Daniel_K
Aspirant

Furrye38, I don't see any mention of success by altering the Daisy Chain setting in the thread that you've been linking.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies