Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50: mobile devices lose connection when traveling to different floors

airahcaz
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50: mobile devices lose connection when traveling to different floors

I've installed the RBK50 on three different floors.  Router on 1st floor, Satellites are in basement (hardwired backhaul) and 2nd floor.  All permanent devices connect accordingly.  However, when carrying a mobile device such as an iPhone that was connected to the 2nd floor, and traveling to basement, it will lose connection until I turn Wi-Fi off and then back on again so that it can connect to the closest Orbi.  It is certainly not a password issue and I have the latest Firmware 2.1.2.18.  It is an annoyance, but I thought the whole point of the Orbi system was seamlessness?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBK50: mobile devices lose connection when traveling to different floors

Have you enabled fast roaming in the advanced wireless settings? It could be a issue of the iphone sticking to one router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
airahcaz
Aspirant

Thanks, what is FR and why isn't it enabled by default?  what are the Trade-offs?

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can find the option under Advanced-Advanced Setup-Wireless settings enable that and see if that helps with the Iphone issue.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 5
Roamabout
Luminary

Description of fast roaming here and why you might turn it off in some environments due to older devices with poor 802.11 implementation.

https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/wifi-fast-roaming-simplified/1993108957

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7