Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 Ethernet / wifi satellite connection

Orb1Man
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 Ethernet / wifi satellite connection

I've purchased an Orbi rbk53 (2 Satellites).
Can I use Ethernet backhaul connect from the Router (RBR50) to Satellite 1 (RBS50)
and Wifi connect from the Router to Satellite 2 (RBS50).
I can not wire Ethernet to both Satellites, but I would hope I could take advantage of having at least one with wired Ethernet.
Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 5
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBK53 Ethernet / wifi satellite connection

Orib1man - The short answer is that "no, you cannot".

The longer answer is that "Orbi says you can, if using the latest firmware (see this article)". While the article doesn't explicitly say you can use one satellite wired and one wireless, the system is designed to support that. However, the ethernet backhaul feature was poorly implemented and doesn't work in any configuration. With either a single or both satellites wired to the router.

I also own a RBK53 and tried this setup, so I'm speaking from expierence.

See these posts for reference, but the the backhaul issues on the Orbi are significant.

- My Wired backhaul Experience

- A long thread from mgreorgy that shows how unusable the ethernet backhaul is

Bascially, it will work for a few minutes to a few hours, then you'll have trouble. Even more than you'll just have under typical usage.

Message 2 of 5
Orb1Man
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your insightful information. I have read all about the disconnect and I am now leaning towards a return and I'm looking at the Linksys Velop.
You saved me from a lot frustration.
Many thanks!
Message 3 of 5
sunildax
Star

Please check if the router and SATs are upgraded to FW 2.1.2.18

This FW is by far the most stable. Lots of posts here on how stable it is with people claiming no reboot for almost 3 weeks.

I use the RBR50 in AP mode and the RBS50 is connected with a wired backhaul.

I would recommend setting up one router at a time. Start with the wired backhaul first with the second SAT powered off. Once you have stabilized the wired SAT, then power on the SAT which you want to be wireless. So the setup while the SAT is in the same room as the router. Once the connection is stable, move it to the desired location. Be ready to allow repositioning which you can ascertain when the LED ring remains a steady blue color.

Test the wireless SAT connectivity by doing speed checks on a connected device (mobile phone). Use the Ookla app for the speed test.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
Orb1Man
Aspirant

That's great advice, I will try that.
Many thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos