Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53 - Force autoupdate firmware to v2.7.3.22

PCSP
Guide

Orbi RBK53 - Force autoupdate firmware to v2.7.3.22

Today, I found my router forced update firmware to 2.7.3.22. Is it normal or not? because I use 2.5.1.16 is very stable with my environment

It update around 2am GMT+7

Is it normal for this behavior? 

Netgear calling DNS recordsNetgear calling DNS records

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
leepaki
Aspirant

I was able to complete this successfully, and downgraded to a stable version firmware.

Here's what I did based on @FURRYe38 suggestion, I set Orbi to AP mode first, then connected to a spare router that I have and blocked all ports for Orbi update service (updates.netgear.com or updates1.netgear.com). The auto upgrade finally stopped, everything is back to normal and I'm happy. Thanks everyone who offered to help!

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 26

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 2 of 26
PCSP
Guide

Only this version 2.7.3.22?

I use v2.5.1.16 for a year. It never auto update. It said only new firmware availiable ... 

I think it not be greate to auto update the firmware

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Auto update FW as been appart of Orbi since the beginning. Depends on regional location and serial number as well. 

NG is aware of recent FW update issues. 

If your system is just letting you know there is something available on the RBRs web page you can triggler the update your self or don't. 

If your system does update FW, It's recommended to turn OFF the RBR, RBS and ISP modem/ONT for 1 minute then back on with the ISP modem/ont, then RBR then RBS. Check operation. 

Message 4 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

This is news to me.

I have RBR20/RBS20 and have never had firmware auto-update until recently. My app would show an "update available" type of notification, but I always ignored them, knowing that they often introduce major bugs. I prefer to wait until I read confirmations that it's stable and usable.

Today I noticed my router auto-updated to 2.7.3.22 at some point - with no notification to me whatsoever.

This is very troubling. We should be able to choose whether to auto-update, or to update when we choose.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

Well, looking at the log it appears to have updated at 2:30am, with everyone in bed. It never asked me. I've had this over one year and it's never auto updated. I think this must be a new "feature". 

Most other devices make it a choice to auto update. With this router, auto-updating is never a good idea. You could end up with new, unexpected bugs, and then it's on YOU to downgrade.

Not helpful.

Message 6 of 26
PCSP
Guide

Can I turn it off? I think it is not normal behavior. It force to update only the version!
Message 7 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

It seems you cannot turn it off. I don't see any option...

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, NG has been pushing auto FW upates on Orbi systems since 2016-17. Thought not everyone may get auto updated, it's been happening for a long time now. One can find historical posts going back years in regards to users having problems after FW was auto updated...and some users not seeng any problems after being auto updated. This is NOT new behavior. 

Message 9 of 26
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FYI, NG has been pushing auto FW upates on Orbi systems since 2016-17. Thought not everyone may get auto updated, it's been happening for a long time now. One can find historical posts going back years in regards to users having problems after FW was auto updated...and some users not seeng any problems after being auto updated. This is NOT new behavior. 

Well, I've had this for over a year and never got an auto update. Why it only chooses certain customers at certain times is very weird.

Message 10 of 26
leepaki
Aspirant

I tried to downgrade it to 2.5.1.16 but immediately after it automatically upgraded router and all sats to the newest version, which caused stability issues for me. Very upsetting.....2.5.1.16 has been perfectly stable why force people to upgrade unlesss there's a major security flaw.

Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What kind of instability problems are you seeing? 

@leepaki wrote:

I tried to downgrade it to 2.5.1.16 but immediately after it automatically upgraded router and all sats to the newest version, which caused stability issues for me. Very upsetting.....2.5.1.16 has been perfectly stable why force people to upgrade unlesss there's a major security flaw.

Message 12 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@leepaki wrote:

I tried to downgrade it to 2.5.1.16 but immediately after it automatically upgraded router and all sats to the newest version, which caused stability issues for me. Very upsetting.....

It remains a mystery why Netgear resumed automatic firmware updates after not doing them for so long. The release notes mention (a) improvements to Parental Controls, (b) a fix for that horrible Daylight Saving Time/Traffic Meter issue from last March, and (c) security vulnerabilities.  (All presumably good things.)  Can you describe the new issues? Perhaps the community can come up with a solution.

Message 13 of 26
leepaki
Aspirant

Yup, I've factory reset everything. The stability issue I'm talking about is clients will randomly show connected to Orbi satellites with full signal strength but no internet access. Sometime disconnecting and reconnecting to the network solves it, but sometimes the issue remains until a full restart is done.
Message 14 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@leepaki wrote:
Yup, I've factory reset everything. The stability issue I'm talking about is clients will randomly show connected to Orbi satellites with full signal strength but no internet access. Sometime disconnecting and reconnecting to the network solves it, but sometimes the issue remains until a full restart is done.

Is there a pattern to the devices involved? (same ones? same type of device?)

Full restart refers to

• Restarting the devie
  • Powering the Orbi & satellites off and back on
  • Doing a Factory Reset

Thanks

Message 15 of 26
leepaki
Aspirant

Not really any patterns to it, phones, tablet, laptop and streaming boxes in different rooms. Full restart refers to unplug the power of router and sats and power back on.

My problem is really the fact that I can't downgrade the firmware anymore, whenever I manually downgrade the firmware it got automatically brought back to 2.7.3.22 within 5-10 minutes. They also took away the telnet option, so I can't even telnet in to disable auto upgrade.

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Powering OFF the system then back ON is a troubleshooting step to see if it changes anything. Weve seen it were FW updates get applied and in some cases needs a power cycle or a factory reset.

You can't block FW updates on Orbi itself. Only way that you can is to put a firewall or router upstream from the RBR and block the update services there. Then Orbi won't update. 

or You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Message 17 of 26
leepaki
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions!

I just tried a factory reset on all units, and still got a similar behavior, the wifi connection shows excellent but internet suddenly dropped off during a google meet meeting. I'm going to try your suggestion to run Orbi in AP mode while connecting to an upstream router and block the update service. 

Message 18 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@leepaki  Please check your private messages.

Message 19 of 26
leepaki
Aspirant

I was able to complete this successfully, and downgraded to a stable version firmware.

Here's what I did based on @FURRYe38 suggestion, I set Orbi to AP mode first, then connected to a spare router that I have and blocked all ports for Orbi update service (updates.netgear.com or updates1.netgear.com). The auto upgrade finally stopped, everything is back to normal and I'm happy. Thanks everyone who offered to help!

Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 26
PCSP
Guide

I think no one care about auto update if Netgear upgrade smoothly and stable, reliable ... but It is not ... 

Now I back to v2.5.2.4 with blocked auto update too

Message 22 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 26
ktreyn
Initiate

This solution of not acceptable for the average user. Netgearnetgear needs to fix the problem.
Message 24 of 26
PCSP
Guide

@ktreyn wrote:
This solution of not acceptable for the average user. Netgearnetgear needs to fix the problem.

They did not care any users

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7