Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53s blocking IPTV app on firestick

Redchotmelter
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53s blocking IPTV app on firestick

Hi, I recently purchased the Orbi RBK53s to improve our Wifi and the results have been fantastic, but it's blocking my iptv app on my firestick - all was working fine before the Orbi was installed.

I've uploaded a photo to try and explain my layout,

The modem ( i've switched to modem mode only) is conected to the Orbi router from this theres a ethernet cable to my PC (not shown) and then a cat6 cable that goes into the Orbi satelitte . There is a second Orbi satellite, not shown connected via wifi on a split landing.

The connected satellite is then connected to the TP Link which the Fire stick and a Virgin box also connect to, the firestick then connects to the TV via a usb port, the TV box connects via a HMDI cable.

I subscribe to a IPTV service and this is accessed through a app that I downloaded on to the Firestick.

Since installing the Orbi, I have been unable to login into it, although the Amazon Prime I also subscribe to has been fine and completely unaffected.

I can however log into the IPTV app if I use a vpn service but speeds are reduced from to approximately 10mbps which is useless and this also then blocks my Amazon Prime and other subscriptions.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Orbi set up.jpg

Orbi set up.jpg

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the firestick work if connected to the RBR and not the RBS? 

Message 2 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Redchotmelter wrote:

The connected satellite is then connected to the TP Link which the Fire stick and a Virgin box also connect to, the firestick then connects to the TV via a usb port, the TV box connects via a HMDI cable.

I subscribe to a IPTV service and this is accessed through a app that I downloaded on to the Firestick.

Since installing the Orbi, I have been unable to login into it, although the Amazon Prime I also subscribe to has been fine and completely unaffected.

(This does not address the problem, but.....) I believe the Fire Stick connects to one of the TV HDMI ports. The USB connection goes to the Fire Stick power supply

Connecting the Fire Stick to one of the router LAN ports would be a good troubleshooting step, except that the Fire Stick must be plugged into the TV.  I actually bought a 100' ethernet cable from Amazon (about $20) to do wacky things like this (when I'm alone in the house).

The Fire Stick also connects over WiFi. Does changing to WiFi make any difference?

Message 3 of 16
Redchotmelter
Aspirant

Already tried, It didn't make any difference unfortunately

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the ipTV app the only app that fails on the Fire Stick?

Does this Orbi have Armor or Parental Controls enabled?

Message 5 of 16
Redchotmelter
Aspirant

It's just the iptv, all the other stuff on the firestick, Amazon Prime, Youtube is all working - yes it has the Armor on, and it keeps on saying it's blocked something on the firestick, which I believe is probably the iptv, but every time i try and access security in the Orbi app, it crashes

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Armor by factory resetting the RBR and use a wired PC connected to the RBR and setup the RBR using a web browser. 

When you get to the home screen and Armor appears, select Don't Show Again. 

Test the IPTV and firestick again...

Message 7 of 16
Redchotmelter
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38.

Before I saw your reply, Netgear support recommended a power cycle, which I preformed, without any change.

After installing and uninstalling the Orbi app about 5 times I finally managed to switch off the Armor Security, without the app crashing and although this this then allowed me to access my iptv without a vpn, it was still restricted to approx 10mbps download speed

I then unplugged the Firestick so it's on Wifi and this resolved the issue - or at least I hope it has, although I have read posts of recurring issues, so fingers crossed, as i'm slightly worried about my issues with my subscriptions if my IP addresss is changed.

Many thanks for to you and the others who have helped with this, it's really appreciated. 

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 16
moehaid
Aspirant

Hey mate I saw you post, I'm in a similar situation but unsure exactly how to setup up the modem and the config needed.

I have a single Orbi Modem RBR750. Its wall to modem, modem to my android box (can also set up as wifi). Its used in router mode. But can be changed to AP Mode.

My IPTV app wont load at all. I've tried a VPN and absolutely no success. Can you explain the steps I should follow. From the sounds of how you set it up and working.. Let me know a few steps I should follow. From what I gathered I should have mine set up as a modem (in AP modem) then connect another router? Then connect that router to the android box?

If this is true I then need help with this... Will the router autoconfig. Or do I need to adjust the configurations on the both the orbi modem and the router?

SOS.

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to understand that the Orbi is NOT a modem. Its a wifi router. 

@moehaid wrote:

Hey mate I saw you post, I'm in a similar situation but unsure exactly how to setup up the modem and the config needed.

I have a single Orbi Modem RBR750. Its wall to modem, modem to my android box (can also set up as wifi). Its used in router mode. But can be changed to AP Mode.

My IPTV app wont load at all. I've tried a VPN and absolutely no success. Can you explain the steps I should follow. From the sounds of how you set it up and working.. Let me know a few steps I should follow. From what I gathered I should have mine set up as a modem (in AP modem) then connect another router? Then connect that router to the android box?

If this is true I then need help with this... Will the router autoconfig. Or do I need to adjust the configurations on the both the orbi modem and the router?

SOS.

Message 11 of 16
moehaid
Aspirant

First I want to say I'm much a noob with this stuff. The routers firmware is V3.2.20.1_0.0.26
Literally did a copy paste after logining in via 192.168.10.1

Unsure what mfr even means. The orbi router is a RBR750. I also have an RBR50 connected for upstairs.

The other router I can connect is a cicsco Linksys . At this point I have Ethernet to orbi and running wifi. The cicso Linksys isn't being used. If there is a step by step of what I can do then perfect
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Brand and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the 7 series working as your main host router after the ISP modem? 

What mode is the RBR50 working in? It should be in AP mode if your using it with the 7 series Orbi. Should not be in router mode. 

Message 13 of 16
moehaid
Aspirant

The main router provided by my isp is the orbi 7 series. I then have the Ethernet of this router direct to the Android box which runs the IPTV app.

. The 5 series is upstairs on another direct connection in AP mode yes.

Regarding the firmware etc I already answered that part.

What do I need to change within my router for the app to work.
Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask your ISP for help and support. I see this is from an ISP and they are responsible for support and information regarding there HW. Some ISP get HW from router Mfrs like NG, however the ISP does there own FW development, NG doesn't. You'll need to ask them for help and support regarding what settings are needed to make this app work on there system. 

Message 15 of 16
moehaid
Aspirant

I have asked this and their reply is that unless is an application sold by them then they won't help 😞
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7