Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53s vs. Nighthawk x6s... Ethernet half the speed?

SoyGreen
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53s vs. Nighthawk x6s... Ethernet half the speed?

Soooo ok... I have Gig internet at home and had the Nighthark x6s setup. Had issues with the x6s... it loses its config anytime it loses power. Got PRETTY annoying,

I upgraded - so I thought - to the RBK53... while my wireless in my home is FAR superior... (in that I'm getting 400mb pretty much everywhere...) my WIRED internet caps out at about 500-530mb now...

Is there a setting I need to look at? LITERALLY the only change was setting up the new Orbi system today. Had Gig on my hardwired PC earlier when running through the x6s... now... I'm half the speed. Box also says "wifi speeds up to 3 gbps" - though maybe I'd see gig wifi in the house. (When I was standing next to the modem - my iPhone would get above 900mb wireless previously - but I had to be really close to it.)

So far I'm very unimpressed with the performance.

VERY much welcome any assistance in troubleshooting this issue. Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

You said if you hook up to the modem, you get full gigabit speeds? 

Are you using disney circle, parental controls, traffic monitoring, or qos? If so, disable these. 

What firmware are you on?

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

Hey @plemans  - appreciate the response!

If I connect direct - yes. I get gig. When I was connected through the former nighthawk - (Modem to Nighthawk - Nighthawk to PC) I also got gig.

Going through the admin panel:

Disney Circle, Parental Controls, Traffic Meter, Access Control, Site Blocking, Service Blocking, IGMP Proxying, - These are all eitehr disabled or not configured/selected.

I don't see anywhere - any settings for QoS - I clicked through all the menus on it I believe.

These two are enabled:

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

I am on Firmware vc2.5.0.38 (most recent - on base and satelites)

I do have Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming enabled... UPnP is on...

Here are the Wireless Settings I see as well - should the 5g be higher?

Region North America 

2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )  

2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps  

5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)

5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

The modem is a Hitron - provided by my cable provider.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the Hitron modem? There a built i router here by chance or is it just a modem? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 4 of 19
plemans
Guru

Here are the Wireless Settings I see as well - should the 5g be higher?

Region North America 

2.4G Channel Auto ( 9 )  

2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps  

5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)

5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

The modem is a Hitron - provided by my cable provider.

No your wireless settings are correct. the orbi has a backhaul (connection between router/satellites of 1733mbps) but its fronthaul (usable) is 866mbps. 

Message 5 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

The Model name is CODA-47 and it should be a modem only. (My friends who have used their managed wifi services have a second box for that...)

And a factory reset after FW update? Do you mean that I should reset from scratch again after the FW update that was done during the initial setup I did?

Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

I've read of some issues with the most recent firmware. You can always downgrade the firmware a version and see if that helps. Make sure to factory reset it if you downgrade.

Most people don't need to factory reset after an update. Whenever people are having issues though, its a good first step in troubleshooting.  

Message 7 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

Got it - I will try that this evening after work... my boss won't accept "I needed more internets" as a reason to sign off early I imagine. 🙂

Thanks!

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give a factory reset and setup from scratch a try. 

@SoyGreen wrote:

The Model name is CODA-47 and it should be a modem only. (My friends who have used their managed wifi services have a second box for that...)

And a factory reset after FW update? Do you mean that I should reset from scratch again after the FW update that was done during the initial setup I did?

Message 9 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please give a factory reset and setup from scratch a try. 

Bad idea....

Message 10 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

Factory reset wasn't the ticket unfortunately.

I'm going to engage with support to see what they might have for assistance on this one.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us now. Let us know what you find out with support. 

@SoyGreen wrote:

Factory reset wasn't the ticket unfortunately.

I'm going to engage with support to see what they might have for assistance on this one.

Message 12 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

So... no update at all.

A community manager reached out with an offer to work with a support engineer... then nothing but radio silence.

I like the hardware - as it has the ethernet ports I was hoping for - but I can't accept losing 50% of my gig internet AND ethernet when hardwired.

SUPER disappointed - likely going to just return and pick up the google version that was just released if I can't get a fix in the next couple days.

Message 13 of 19
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Having a similar issue with the RBR50... after updating to 2.5.0.38, the performance of my wired and WiFi connections is way below my connection's actual speed by at least 100Mbps.

This is likely a firmware, rather than a hardware, problem.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to make contact with them again if you can. I have also tried as well. Crickets. 

Seems that some have this issue and some don't. v30 and beyond seem to have this problem for my RBR. Nothing over 400Mbps. I'll try gonig back to some old FW and see if this changes anything. 

I recommend finding something that does 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN if you can't get any progress from NG. 

@Blanca_O 

@SoyGreen wrote:

So... no update at all.

A community manager reached out with an offer to work with a support engineer... then nothing but radio silence.

I like the hardware - as it has the ethernet ports I was hoping for - but I can't accept losing 50% of my gig internet AND ethernet when hardwired.

SUPER disappointed - likely going to just return and pick up the google version that was just released if I can't get a fix in the next couple days.

Message 15 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

I've reached out a few times now... action is no longer on my end to try keep a customer.

Early reviews are in that the Google Home Wifi is able to handle gig quite well - what makes me frustrated is the pods don't have any ethernet ports and the base only has 1 in the google version vs. the Orbi. That said - I can pick up a small switch - not having the full use of my gig internet via physical connections is an absolute deal breaker. Barring any last minute aknowledgement of a "HEY! We know this is an issue and we are working on it... QUICKLY!" I will be picking up the other product... today likely - and returning the Orbi again.

I'm tired of being frustrated by the Netgear products... (worked with Nighthawks that were great until they were not... then 2 different versions of Orbi's both with the same issues of throttling.)

A $400 product shouldn't have this issue for as long as it has... there are posts from MONTHS ago here and on Reddit where people just seem to give up and go elsewhere.

What I assume is happening is that there are enough users who just don't know any better and are all "oh - it's nice and fast!" And while it is - truly the wifi has been great in my home - it just isn't acceptable that this is the situation.

/shrug

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try to make contact with them again if you can. I have also tried as well. Crickets. 

Seems that some have this issue and some don't. v30 and beyond seem to have this problem for my RBR. Nothing over 400Mbps. I'll try gonig back to some old FW and see if this changes anything. 

I recommend finding something that does 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN if you can't get any progress from NG. 

@Blanca_O 

@SoyGreen wrote:

So... no update at all.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand completely. I'm kind of annoyed that there hasn't been any more traction on this issue. I sent NG testing and debug log info. Been crickets since. 

Go with something that works for you. 

Good Luck. 

@SoyGreen wrote:
I've reached out a few times now... action is no longer on my end to try keep a customer.

Early reviews are in that the Google Home Wifi is able to handle gig quite well - what makes me frustrated is the pods don't have any ethernet ports and the base only has 1 in the google version vs. the Orbi. That said - I can pick up a small switch - not having the full use of my gig internet via physical connections is an absolute deal breaker. Barring any last minute aknowledgement of a "HEY! We know this is an issue and we are working on it... QUICKLY!" I will be picking up the other product... today likely - and returning the Orbi again.

I'm tired of being frustrated by the Netgear products... (worked with Nighthawks that were great until they were not... then 2 different versions of Orbi's both with the same issues of throttling.)

A $400 product shouldn't have this issue for as long as it has... there are posts from MONTHS ago here and on Reddit where people just seem to give up and go elsewhere.

What I assume is happening is that there are enough users who just don't know any better and are all "oh - it's nice and fast!" And while it is - truly the wifi has been great in my home - it just isn't acceptable that this is the situation.

/shrug

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Blanca_O 

@SoyGreen wrote:

So... no update at all.

Message 17 of 19
SoyGreen
Aspirant

Yeah - just disappointing is all. 🙂

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Understand completely. I'm kind of annoyed that there hasn't been any more traction on this issue. I sent NG testing and debug log info. Been crickets since. 

Go with something that works for you. 

Good Luck. 

@SoyGreen wrote:

/shrug

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Blanca_O 

@SoyGreen wrote:

So... no update at all.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. I think we all are to some degree. 

Smiley Frustrated

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7