Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR10 router loses Internet connection repeatedly. Multiple re-boots needed.

JodiKAZ
Guide

Orbi RBR10 router loses Internet connection repeatedly. Multiple re-boots needed.

My Orbi RBR 10 router with three satellites keeps losing Internet connectivity. I contacted my ISP and found that our Internet service has had no interuptions in the past two weeks. I tested the ISP by disconnecting the Orbi router and connecting my laptop directly to my ISP modem and Internet was available. My Orbi app will show Internet Offline. 

Over the past four days I have done the following to try and fix the Orbi connection issue:

Unplugged Orbi router, ISP modem, and all satellites. Plugged all back in and synced the satellites. Everything worked for a few minutes. Then Internet down again. I connected the ISP modem directly to my laptop and confirmed Internet service was indeed working. 

Factory reset Orbi and re-installed. During which time I discovered a hardware update and installed the update. Synced satellites and all worked fine for about 5 hours. I thought it was fixed with the hardware update, but then I lost Internet again. Performed another reboot of the Orbi and regained Internet for a few hours. 

Over the past 4 days I believe I have had to reboot the Orbi 10 or 12 times in order to regain Internet. Each time the app shows Internet Offline and none of our wifi connected devices will work with one strange exception. Every time we loose Internet connection it affects every laptop, tablet, smart phone and gaming device in the house. But, both of our Amazon Firestick enabled TVs connected via wifi to the Orbi will continue to stream - which makes no sense to me at all. 

My Orbi operates at both 5ghz and 2.5, but does not allow me to switch between the two options. Most of the devices are connected to the 5ghz - including the Amazon Firesticks. 

Any ideas? Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR10 router loses Internet connection repeatedly. Multiple re-boots needed.

A couple things. 

1. What actual modem is it? 

2. Have you tried it with just the orbi router running? Leave the satellites off

3. Do wired devices drop? or just wireless? 

4. What actual firmware is on the router and the satellites? 

5. How big is the home? What are the interior walls made of? 

Message 2 of 12
JodiKAZ
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR10 router loses Internet connection repeatedly. Multiple re-boots needed.

The modem, as I call it, is supplied by the ISP to work with their setup. It is called a "POE Injector" and that is all the info I have on it. 

Yes I tried just the Orbi router with no satellites. No good. 

I don't have any wired devices. All run on wifi because there is only one outgoing port on the POE Injector, which goes to the Orbi router. However, to test I have disconnected the Orbi router from the POE Injector (modem) and connected directly to a laptop which then has Internet access.  

Orbi Firmware version v2.6.2.104. Same version is on the router and all satellites. 

Home is 2300 sqft and walls are wood frame with drywall. 

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

A POE injector connects a POE (power over ethernet) device to your network and supplies it with power. . 

Whats on the other end of the POE injector? 

That'd be the key. 

Message 4 of 12
JodiKAZ
Guide

Other end of the injector is a roof mounted receiver. Looks like a small square satellite dish sort of. 

When the system was installed the tech was glad we had an Orbi system, he said it removed the need for an additional modem as the POE would work directly connected to the Orbi router. Which it has for several months with no issues until now. 

Thank you for the definition of a POE which was nowhere to be found on my "troubleshooting" info from my ISP.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Who's your isp? 

If you connect the orbi to it in acccess point mode, does it work? 

Message 6 of 12
JodiKAZ
Guide

I don't know how to do an access point mode? 

My ISP provider is a local company. BOLT Internet. We're rural and have no cable or fiber optic option, and only very poor DSL through a different provider. 

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

an easy thing to try first. 

Do you have an old switch sitting around? 

If so, connect that to the poe and then connect 2 devices to the switch. if they both work, the access point mode might be a viable option. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 8 of 12
bhupeshkothari
Initiate

I'm having similar problem. This has started happining since last firmware update earlier this week. 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 9 of 12
bhupeshkothari
Initiate

downloaded previous version and manually installed it, fixed the issue with stability of internet connection. 

Version with problem : V2.6.2.104

Version without probelm : V2.6.1.36

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 12
JodiKAZ
Guide

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up paying for Netgear support to get it resolved, hopefully.
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

what did they do to fix it? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7