Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 Slow Wifi Speed

Farhan24
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 Slow Wifi Speed

Firmware:2.3.5.30

Setup: Netgear 1000mbps modem, orbi, orbi sattelite, 8 port switch

We have recently upgraded to 600mbps down from our previous 200mbps down. While wired directly into the orbi or the switch I get speeds close to 500mbps down. When connected to the router with wifi in the same room the speed is only around 100-200mbps. Same speeds with the sattelite. Is there some settings I should change, or is the orbi incapable of going at a faster speed?

I have already tried turning daisy chain on and off, changing dns servers, and updating the router. Attached is a picture of my current settings.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Also there is newer v16 firmware available to try...

Message 2 of 7
Farhan24
Aspirant

It is connected to a Netgear CM1000-100NAS modem no router built in. Orbi is in router mode. Approximately 2500 square foot house. Distance between the orbi and the satellite is between two opposite corners of 2 floors. Using auto channel for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Next neighbors wifi is at roughly 50% within the house. Beamforming and mimo are on. Armor, circle, daisy chain, and ipv6 are already off. I will try adjusting the 20/40mhz setting and the preamble setting and come back with the results.

Message 3 of 7
SKR2710
Aspirant

Is this issue fixed for you? I am having the same exact problem with similar size home.

@Farhan24 wrote:

It is connected to a Netgear CM1000-100NAS modem no router built in. Orbi is in router mode. Approximately 2500 square foot house. Distance between the orbi and the satellite is between two opposite corners of 2 floors. Using auto channel for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Next neighbors wifi is at roughly 50% within the house. Beamforming and mimo are on. Armor, circle, daisy chain, and ipv6 are already off. I will try adjusting the 20/40mhz setting and the preamble setting and come back with the results.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@SKR2710 wrote:

Is this issue fixed for you? I am having the same exact problem with similar size home.

@Farhan24 wrote:

Message 5 of 7
Farhan24
Aspirant

Changing the settings like was recommended did help a little bit but found myself unable to get more than 300mbps unless I was in the same room as the router. I'm convinced it's likely a limitation with wifi ac and the router to put out that kind of speed anything more than a room or 2 apart.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You would be correct in your thinking. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements