Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 and SonicWall Mobile Connect

ThomasSayle
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 and SonicWall Mobile Connect

Hello all! 

I am hoping that someone out there can help. I have a home office and have to use SonicWall Mobile Connect on my Macbook Pro to access some of my companies websites. 

As configured, I can access all of these outside of my home when connected to the Internet. However, as soon as I come home, I am no longer able to access any of those protected sites. The websites just spin and then error out. 

I am convinced that my Orbi router is blocking the connection, but I have no idea how to configure it properly. I am seriously considering just buying an additional router and simply connecting my Macbook to it in hopes that I can get it to work. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to set this up to work properly? 

I am using: 

RBR20 from Orbi

MacBook Pro (running Mojave 10.14.6)

SonicWall Mobile Connect

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

T

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR20 and SonicWall Mobile Connect

I'm using few different VPN tunnels to access my company's and -sometimes- my customer's web sites, I have no issues with this with Orbi.

Your issue can be caused by multiple routers in your network. What is the type and model of the ISP modem/router to which Orbi is connected?

Message 2 of 11
ThomasSayle
Aspirant

The Orbi is connected to an Arris Surfboard SB6190. Spectrum Internet service. 

Message 3 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Just to try to isolate the issue to Orbi, will you please be able to connect a computer directly to the cable modem and see if you see the the same issues.

Message 4 of 11
mikey72
Aspirant

Hi - did you ever solev this problem? I have the same issue and would love some help.

Message 5 of 11
jueker
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 and unable to connect to Https sites

I updated the firmware on my RBR20 mesh system and then spent a day trying to get the system up and running again. I started to notice some sites were asking for modem login info. Then I discovered some of my service connections no longer worked. It wasn't until a few days later I decided to try a direct connect from my isp. Every thing started to work!!!

So I came to the Netger community to investigate if others were having simiiar issues and yes there are a number of posts with users having the same issue. Someone suugested using a VPN. I did this and all sites connect, however VPN slows the connection speed.

I then tried to contact Netgear directly, but alas they do not have direct support after 90 days. I am Canadian and I cannot even puchase their premium support. I cannot even find a way to call direct, the site revolves around to the same point.

Netgear, fix the issue and send out a firmware update.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 and unable to connect to Https sites

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@jueker wrote:

I updated the firmware on my RBR20 mesh system and then spent a day trying to get the system up and running again. I started to notice some sites were asking for modem login info. Then I discovered some of my service connections no longer worked. It wasn't until a few days later I decided to try a direct connect from my isp. Every thing started to work!!!

So I came to the Netger community to investigate if others were having simiiar issues and yes there are a number of posts with users having the same issue. Someone suugested using a VPN. I did this and all sites connect, however VPN slows the connection speed.

I then tried to contact Netgear directly, but alas they do not have direct support after 90 days. I am Canadian and I cannot even puchase their premium support. I cannot even find a way to call direct, the site revolves around to the same point.

Netgear, fix the issue and send out a firmware update.

Message 7 of 11
jueker
Aspirant

Firmware is v2.3.5.26

The most current firmware version is v2.3.5.36. However when I check for updates on my ORBI phone app under Router Settings, it brings up a message "No new Firmware is available at this time." 

When I look at the Network Map it shows the RBR20 Router as pink while the 2 satellites show green. If I use a VPN, all 3 are green, but still shows v2.3.5.26 as the most current firmware version.

I tried to do a manual update of v2.3.5.36 on my iMac but orbilogin.com brings up this message "You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

I have tried it with a ethernet connection and wifi on orbi. 

I notice that orbilogin.com forwards to https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/routerlogincom.html which is a secure site.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@jueker wrote:

Firmware is v2.3.5.26

The most current firmware version is v2.3.5.36. However when I check for updates on my ORBI phone app under Router Settings, it brings up a message "No new Firmware is available at this time." 

When I look at the Network Map it shows the RBR20 Router as pink while the 2 satellites show green. If I use a VPN, all 3 are green, but still shows v2.3.5.26 as the most current firmware version.

I tried to do a manual update of v2.3.5.36 on my iMac but orbilogin.com brings up this message "You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again."

I have tried it with a ethernet connection and wifi on orbi. 

I notice that orbilogin.com forwards to https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/routerlogincom.html which is a secure site.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
jueker
Aspirant

My isp router is ARCADYAN (model VRV9519BWAC23)

Speed is 60Mbs down / 10Mbs up (and that is what speedtest.net displays)

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem has built in wifi and a router, then having the RBR online at the same time can cause problems. Seems that your model has WiFi and a router built in. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@jueker wrote:

My isp router is ARCADYAN (model VRV9519BWAC23)

Speed is 60Mbs down / 10Mbs up (and that is what speedtest.net displays)

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7