Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 constantly offline

AndyJapp
Guide

Orbi RBR20 constantly offline

I bought an Orbi RBR20 system a couple of weeks ago. First it worked well but then I updated the firmware. Since then the satellites have disconnected around 2-3 times a week (distance less than 10 meters). That’s not the most annoying problem though. The biggest problem is that the main router keeps switching itself offline around 2-3 times a day. The problem is usually solved by disconnecting the router’s ethernet cable and then immediately connecting it again. This is rather annoying though if you have to get out of bed to do this. Sometimes the router have to be rebooted. This kind of faulty operation could be tolerated in cheap equipment but not in quality products. What’s to do next? Could the router be broken?

Message 1 of 19
ekhalil
Master

1. In the web GUI (orbilogin.com) please go to >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> INTERNET PORT >> Connect Status >>   What is the time you see under Obtained Lease? If it's long time then it's probably the cause of your issue.
  2. In the DNS settings under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet     What DNS settings do you have?   If you use ISP's DNS then try changing to Google's DNS 8.8.8.8

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@AndyJapp wrote:

I bought an Orbi RBR20 system a couple of weeks ago. First it worked well but then I updated the firmware. Since then the satellites have disconnected around 2-3 times a week (distance less than 10 meters). That’s not the most annoying problem though. The biggest problem is that the main router keeps switching itself offline around 2-3 times a day. The problem is usually solved by disconnecting the router’s ethernet cable and then immediately connecting it again. This is rather annoying though if you have to get out of bed to do this. Sometimes the router have to be rebooted. This kind of faulty operation could be tolerated in cheap equipment but not in quality products. What’s to do next? Could the router be broken?

Message 3 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Hi!

Obtained lease: less than 30 minutes ago.

I don’t think this has got anything to do with DNS settings. Tried 8.8.8.8. If anything, it made things slower.

Message 4 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Hi!

Current firmware is 2.2.1.210. Problems have started since updating it.

Orbi is connected to Inteno XG6846 Broadband Switch. My old WiFi router works fine with it, tried the same ports as well.

Orbi system is in router mode.

Distance between satellites is (as I mentioned before) less than 10 meters (less than 30 feet). There are practically nothing solid on the way either. The main problem is not the connection between the router and the satellites but the fact that the router keeps dropping offline.

2,4 GHz channels are on Auto, but I don’t think that’s the problem either, since there aren’t many networks in the neighbourhood.

Is there any way of making the router test it’s online/offline status for example once a minute and then making it fix it, if status would drop to offline? I mean, like disconnecting the ethernet cable and connecting it back on without actually physically doing so.

Message 5 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

What kind of modem (make model) is Orbi connected to?

I wonder if there is something going on with the cable modem side of all of this since the ethernet connection appears to solve it each time.

Is Orbi in AP or router mode?

Message 6 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Hi!

As I mentioned in an earlier reply: Orbi is connected to Inteno XG6846 Broadband Switch. My old WiFi router works fine with it, tried the same ports as well.
Orbi system is in router mode.

Should I try it in Access Point mode?
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try AP mode on the Orbi. 

Also be sure to set the distance between the Orbi base and satellites farther out. Close than 30 feet between them is too close. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I would also do this, turn OFF the satellite(s). Just test with the Orbi base and this Internet switch. Does the base keep disconnecting?

Possible there maybe a problem between the Orbi router and this switch. 

What Mfr and model# is the prior router? 

Message 8 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@AndyJapp wrote:

Hi!

Obtained lease: less than 30 minutes ago.

I don’t think this has got anything to do with DNS settings. Tried 8.8.8.8. If anything, it made things slower.

If disconnecting/connecting the WAN cable resolves the issue then this is very likely a DHCP request issue.

I don't understand what you mean by "less than 30 minutes ago". Please take a snapshot of the Orbi status window abot the lease time.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Less than 30 minutes ago means that the lease was obtained under 30 minutes ago. I don’t quite understand how this might help, but here you go.B5A7B6A8-78D0-4A88-BABF-392080331AAF.jpeg

Message 10 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Can you please add the snapshot as an attachment instead of as a picture otherwise I will not be able to see it until a moderator approves the picture. 🙂
Message 11 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Tried AP mode. Messed up everything. Switched back to router mode.

Somebody says that more than 30 feet is too far but according to you less than 30 feet is too close. Can’t be that the only possible distance is 30 feet... I can’t move satellites further away, because 1) my devices (printer, server) are where they are and 2) moving the other satellite would mean placing it outside. I guess it doesn’t like rain or snow too much... 🙂 I don’t think that the channels are not congested, there aren’t many networks in the neighbourhood.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You can have more that 30 feet in between the base and satellite. Mines at 40 feet. Also kind of depends on building materials. Others have reported 60 feet in between. 

@AndyJapp wrote:

Tried AP mode. Messed up everything. Switched back to router mode.

Somebody says that more than 30 feet is too far but according to you less than 30 feet is too close. Can’t be that the only possible distance is 30 feet... I can’t move satellites further away, because 1) my devices (printer, server) are where they are and 2) moving the other satellite would mean placing it outside. I guess it doesn’t like rain or snow too much... 🙂 I don’t think that the channels are not congested, there aren’t many networks in the neighbourhood.

Message 13 of 19
AndyJapp
Guide

Hi again!

Does anybody have any other ideas? Nothing works. I’ve tried everything and yet the same problem remains: Orbi keeps dropping offline often, even 5 times a day. Every time either unplugging the network cable or rebooting Orbi solves the problem, but it’s VERY annoying to have to do this many times a day. The connections is always available but how could I stop Orbi from dropping it so often. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

Message 14 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@AndyJapp wrote:

Hi again!

Does anybody have any other ideas? Nothing works. I’ve tried everything and yet the same problem remains: Orbi keeps dropping offline often, even 5 times a day. Every time either unplugging the network cable or rebooting Orbi solves the problem, but it’s VERY annoying to have to do this many times a day. The connections is always available but how could I stop Orbi from dropping it so often. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

As I mentiioned earlier, if disconnecting/connecting the WAN cable resolves the issue then this is very likely a DHCP request issue. I asked you to provide the ISP lease time. I think that we can solve this issue by asking Orbi to send lease renewal more frequently. You don't think that this is relevant as I can understand from your comments above! 🙂

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If nothing seems to work, I would make contact with NG support and ask about an RMA.

@AndyJapp wrote:

Hi again!

Message 16 of 19
P95357
Guide

Hi, ekhalil. I seem to have a similar issue on my RBK50. How could I “solve this issue by asking Orbi to send lease renewal more frequently”? Thanks.
Message 17 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Hi @P95357 ,

Please follow the following steps:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease                      —> Should give you 86400 which means 24 hours
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=3600            —> 3600 means 1 hour
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 18 of 19
P95357
Guide

Thank you, @ekhalil 

I tried it but I can't do step 4:

• Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above"

After completing all previous actions, once connected via Ethernet to the Orbi with a laptop computer, I type 192.168.1.1 and it gives me a "this page can't be reached" screen.

I don't want to hijack the post, so I created a new one with more information about my setup and what I have tried.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-internet-connection-issues-with-iOS-devices-and-now-Dell...

Thanks.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7