Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 router - trouble

elaine29
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 router - trouble

For the last couple of years I've been using a Orbi RBR20 router and two satellites in access point mode  - However , without making any changes, recently the wifi connection is constantly dropping out.

I've checked the wifi provider and the NF18 modem is working well.

• However the Orbi RBR20 router "does not support 802.11AC or newer WoFi technology which limits the range and speed of its signal. An update is recommended.

Please advise how to update the Orbi RBR20 to ensure it works consistently and with max speed

Thanks in advance

Elaine

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 router - trouble

@elaine29 wrote:

• However the Orbi RBR20 router "does not support 802.11AC or newer WiFi technology which limits the range and speed of its signal. An update is recommended.

This is not correct.  The RBR20 Product Data Sheet clearly states that it supports 5G WiFi, including 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (page 4)

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBR20.pdf 

Something has gone wrong, but this is not it.  Perhaps some more detail about how the "dropouts" manifest?  what is observed? which devices?

Message 2 of 9
elaine29
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn

Unclear what seems to trigger wifi drop out - just that wifi is dropping out continuously: all devices lose wifi: PC, mobile phone; speakers

Have run wifi speeds and they're all good - its just the cut outs

I no longer love my wifi - as its stopping me work and play 😞

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please confirm the firmware release on this Orbi?

Message 4 of 9
elaine29
Aspirant

sorry - but how do I find the" firmware release" on the orbbi

ive checked on this site and there's no guide

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

(My Bad... not thinking clearly).

On the Orbi app, press on the picture of the router to bring up the network diagram.

Then press on the picture of the router.

Then press on "Details".

Firmware version is in the list.  Should be a number like V2.7.3.22

Or.... on the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) the firmware version appears in the upper right of most web pages.

Would you by chance have something that can connect to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable?

(desktop or laptop computer?)

Message 6 of 9
elaine29
Aspirant

thanks

it's V2.7.3.22

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@elaine29 wrote:

For the last couple of years I've been using a Orbi RBR20 router and two satellites in access point mode  - However , without making any changes, recently the wifi connection is constantly dropping out.

There was probably a reason for putting the Orbi into Access Point mode. Can you share why that was done?

Message 8 of 9
EileeenG
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR20 router - trouble syncing satellite

@elaine29 wrote:

I've checked the wifi provider and the NF18 modem is working well.

• However the Orbi RBR20 router "does not support 802.11AC or newer WoFi technology which limits the range and speed of its signal. An update is recommended.

Please advise how to update the Orbi RBR20 to ensure it works consistently and with max speed

Thanks in advance

Elaine

I. Am not sure about current firmware installed. Using Orbi mesh router onMac Mini OS 12 2 1

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7