Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 with satellite issues

Jason-B
Follower

Orbi RBR20 with satellite issues

I have a brand new Modem from my ISP and I purchased a brand new Orbi RBR20 router that came with a satellite.  I have placed the satellite in several different loctaions well within range of the main router.  For whatever reason, most all devices wanna connect to the satellite.  Very few will connect to the main router.  Our 60" TV is 3 feet away from the main router but still connectes to the damn satellite that is 20 feet or so away.  Also when this is happening the signal bars are very low and our connection drops constantly.  I removed the satellite from the picture and allowed everything to connect to the main router.  So far this has been A LOT better.  My question is why does everything appear to travel through the satellite? Can I force an electronic to connect where I want it to connect.  Just frustrated to say the least.  I spent a couple hundred on this NETGEAR ORBI AC2200 tri-band wifi router and was expecting less hassel.  If someone can help me understand this, please do.  And yes, I have updated the firmware etc.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 with satellite issues

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Might move the RBS farther away from the TV. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Wireless devices will pick and chose which signal source to connect too. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7