Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 Lost Power & Will Not Reconnect to Modem

Ben8
Guide

Orbi RBR40 Lost Power & Will Not Reconnect to Modem

I lost power last night, but when it came back on the Orbi RBR40 router would not connect to my Arris Surfboard DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  The modem powered on just fine and is connected, but the router will not connect.  I've tried numerous ethernet chords and numerous ports, but nothing works.  To test, I've hardline connected my laptop directly to modem, and it works just fine.  The Orbi will not.  Not sure if this is related, because I'm a bit tech illiterate, but the satellite will not connect to the router either.  

I've tried power cycling the modem, router, and connected devices.  Did not work.  I tried reseting the router to factory default settings.  Did not work.  I called Netgear support, but they were no help.  The rep just wanted to charge me to have it looked at.  He did provide some links to try on my own, but nothing more than I had already tried, or they were links to support on other products.  

Any help or suggestions are immensely appreciated.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
Ben8
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR40 Lost Power & Will Not Reconnect to Modem

I used Google Chrome. I’ve been on the phone and in a remote session with Netgear support for an hour and a half and they could not get it to work either. They had the same issue with the firmware files not downloading properly, so they’re sending me a new router and refunding me the support package expense.

Who knows how long it will take, so thank god for the phone hot spot.

Thanks again for the help!

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 32

All Replies
vajim
Master

how old is the Orbi?

Message 2 of 32
Ben8
Guide

less than a year.  Bought in Feb. last year.

Message 3 of 32
vajim
Master

@Ben8 wrote:

less than a year.  Bought in Feb. last year.

I would keep playing with it.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 4 of 32
Ben8
Guide

Appreciate the link, but I've reset it to factory settings no less than a dozen times, and nothing changes.  

Message 5 of 32
plemans
Guru

what arris modem is it? 

Try powering off the modem and the router and disconnect everything from both (even coax from modem)

Wait 2 minutes. 

then connect the coax back to the modem and power it on. wait several minutes for it to fully boot. 

Then connect modem to router and power the router on. Give it a couple minutes. 

Then try using/setting up the router. 

Message 6 of 32
Ben8
Guide

It's the Arris SB8200.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've tried that before and it did not work.  I just tried again and nothing.  My laptop is connnected by cable to the  modem, and receiving a connection; however, the Orbi router is also connected to the modem but not receiving any connection.  I've swapped the ports to make sure it's not he modem, but all ports function fine when connected to laptop. 

Message 7 of 32
Ben8
Guide

Forgot to add, the rep I spoke with mentioned that the device settings must be out of whack, to paraphrase, which is why it's not connecting to the modem.  That's when he went into a sales pitch on trying to get me to buy support coverage.  

Message 8 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the modem and RBR and connect the RBR to the working port of the modem. Power ON the modem, then power ON the RBR. Wire connect your PC to the RBR, check the status page on th Basic tab to see if the connection status. 

Swap LAN cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Ben8 wrote:

It's the Arris SB8200.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've tried that before and it did not work.  I just tried again and nothing.  My laptop is connnected by cable to the  modem, and receiving a connection; however, the Orbi router is also connected to the modem but not receiving any connection.  I've swapped the ports to make sure it's not he modem, but all ports function fine when connected to laptop. 

Message 9 of 32
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Power OFF the modem and RBR and connect the RBR to the working port of the modem. Power ON the modem, then power ON the RBR. Wire connect your PC to the RBR, check the status page on th Basic tab to see if the connection status. 

Swap LAN cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Ben8 wrote:

It's the Arris SB8200.

Pretty sure all of this has been tried

Message 10 of 32
plemans
Guru

@Ben8 wrote:

It's the Arris SB8200.

the SB8200 has 2 ethernet ports but for most ISP's you can only have 1 device connected to it. The reason is the ISP only assign's 1 public ip address. If the computer is working, that ip address is getting assigned to the computer. 

Disconnect the computer from the sb8200, then run through the steps outlined before so the cable modem assigns the ip address to the router and not the computer. (disconnect/power off/etc)

Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I caught that...why I mentioned the suggestion. 

@plemans wrote:

@Ben8 wrote:

It's the Arris SB8200.

the SB8200 has 2 ethernet ports but for most ISP's you can only have 1 device connected to it. The reason is the ISP only assign's 1 public ip address. If the computer is working, that ip address is getting assigned to the computer. 

Disconnect the computer from the sb8200, then run through the steps outlined before so the cable modem assigns the ip address to the router and not the computer. (disconnect/power off/etc)

Message 12 of 32
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I caught that...why I mentioned the suggestion. 

...why?

Message 13 of 32
Ben8
Guide

No luck.  I tried disconnecting the laptop, went through a power cycle on the modem, reconnected the Orbi and powered it on, to no avail.  

Message 14 of 32
vajim
Master

@Ben8 wrote:

No luck.  I tried disconnecting the laptop, went through a power cycle on the modem, reconnected the Orbi and powered it on, to no avail.  

must be dead

Message 15 of 32
plemans
Guru

Are you able to access the router's gui from the browser? 

Also, when the router is connected to the modem, are you able to ping the modem? ping 192.168.100.1

or access the modem's settings while going modem----rbr------pc?

Message 16 of 32
Ben8
Guide

Cannot access the router through browser at all.  No luck pinging router through browser or connecting laptop to router to modem.  

Message 17 of 32
plemans
Guru

Whats the power led on the orbi doing? (color, blinking)

And the led's?

you might have corrupt firmware on the orbi. you could try recovering it with tftp or nmrpflash. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 18 of 32
vajim
Master

@plemans wrote:

you might have corrupt firmware on the orbi.

say it isn't true

Message 19 of 32
plemans
Guru

"it isn't true"  🙂

always worth a chance with a power failure and a not properly booting device. 

Message 20 of 32
vajim
Master

@plemans wrote:

"it isn't true"  🙂

always worth a chance with a power failure and a not properly booting device. 

gotcha....power failures are bad 

I hope they get it working

Message 21 of 32
Ben8
Guide

It blinks white, but will not connect to the satellite either, which also blinks white until it gives up on trying to connect and turns solid magenta.  

I'm  going to try your suggestion from the links you provided.  Thanks for the help.  If this doesn't work, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and pay for a support package to have Netgear try to fix.  Let you know how it works out.  Thanks, again.

Message 22 of 32
Ben8
Guide

No luck.  I downloaded the firmware from the Netgear website for the RBR40 model i have, but it says the files are corrupted.  Guess Netgear will get their way, and extort me out of $90.  I'm off to pay for a support package now.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Message 23 of 32
vajim
Master

@Ben8 wrote:

No luck.  I downloaded the firmware from the Netgear website for the RBR40 model i have, but it says the files are corrupted.  Guess Netgear will get their way, and extort me out of $90.  I'm off to pay for a support package now.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

No sure what support will do for you 

if it's dead it's dead 

I'd just buy a new orbi or router 

Message 24 of 32
plemans
Guru

whats telling you the firmware is corrupt? 

did you make sure to extract it after downloading it? 

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7