Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 & RBW30 - 5Ghz Disabled

PIX3LPUSH3R
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 & RBW30 - 5Ghz Disabled

I noticed slower than usual speeds and realized that none of my devices are connecting to the 5Ghz band. I've manually installed the latest firmware for the RBR40 (2.3.5.34) & the Satellite RBW30 (2.3.5.6). 

*** Side note: I thought these were suppose to be matching firmware numbers, but these are the latest for each version as far as I can tell ***

I'll note that I don't have much experience with networks, but I did manage to set up my network to run great over the last couple years. This is a recent issue. 

When I use the Orbi app, it may or may not show the satellite. When I log into MyOrbi.net, it shows that the satellite is connected using 5Ghz, but no devices are connected via 5Ghz, only 2.4. (I've tried power cycling my devices, my gateway, the orbi router, and the Orbi satellite.) 

When I log into the satellite (image attached), I see that 2.4Ghz is on Wireless Mode "Up to 400 Mbps," but in the little graphic, 5Ghz says "Disabled."  Towards the bottom of the page, Wireless mode says "Up to 173 Mbps."

I'm really hoping I can get this to work without a factory reset, as I'm connected in Router mode via DMZ+ to my Uverse PACE 5268ac Router, and it took me quite some time to get everything working properly and the thought of starting from scratch really sucks. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 & RBW30 - 5Ghz Disabled

Yes, a "factory reset" is a major task on the router.  Factory reset of a satellite is not nearly as much effort, since the satellite has no configuration options to mess with.  Connect it to the router and it's (supposed to be) "good to go".

One of the experts may have an explanation for how a satellite channel can be "Disabled".  In the meantime, there is not much risk to having the router "forget" the satellite, perform a factory reset, and resync the satellite to the router.

Message 2 of 4
PIX3LPUSH3R
Aspirant

I will give that I try when I get home. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
PIX3LPUSH3R
Aspirant

Just to follow up, I factory reset and re-added the satellite back (after reset). Still no luck. Out of curiosity, I enabled the Guest Wifi, and was able to connect to 5Ghz that way...so now I'm really confused. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7