Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 and smart DNS not working Playstation4

Nykvee
Follower

Orbi RBR40 and smart DNS not working Playstation4

**Long post, but I'm trying to be thorough

I ran into a problem using a smart DNS for one of my devices and can't figure it out.

I am using a "smart dns" from Unlocater. I am using it on my Playstation 4 to get around local blackout areas for streaming live hockey games on the nhl.tv app. Only other streaming app I use on this console is Netflix. No online gaming. I setup my PS4 with the smart DNS only. PS4 is hardwired into my orbi router. My ISP is Spectrum.

It worked without issues on my old setup which was:

Modem: Motorola Surfboard Model sb6121 (spectrum provided)

Router: Orbi RBR40 (purchased from WalMart a couple years ago)

Today, I upgraded to faster internet speeds and Spectrum gave me a new modem that could handle the higher speed. The new Modem is a Cisco DPC3216.

I hooked up and activated the modem and the internet is working on everything in the house, but now when I get on my PS4, with the unlocater DNS entered, I get errors from the NHL app (unable to load) and also Netflix (Error code NW-2-4). I can reset my internet connection on the PS4 and let it automatically configure my internet settings. after that, Netflix has no errors and the NHL app works and loads up with no errors, but I am restricted on some games because of blackout area since I do not have my smart DNS entered. The only reason I purchased the smart DNS, is to get around the Blackout restrictions. I wanted to hook up my old modem to try to see if the issue disappears, but spectrum won't let me reactivate it since I upgraded to higher speeds.

I figured out how to get into my orbi and set the smart dns directly to the router, but i have the same issue still with my ps4 apps. The internet in the rest of the house seems to be working fine though. cell phones, smart tv's, and a desktop hardwired into the Orbi, that work fine.

My question is, is it possible I am doing something wrong in the Orbi setup? am I missing a step? 

I feel the issue is the new Modem, since it is the only thing that has changed today. I talked to two different techs from Spectrum and they both said it is not a modem issue. I asked how to get into the modem setup and they told me I am not allowed to do so. I am willing to go out and buy a new modem tomorrow but I don't want to spend the money if it won't fix the issue. I also don't know how to setup the new modem to allow a seperate DNS, or if thats even possible.

Can anyone help me or give me some insight? I have tried various configurations between the orbi DNS and PS4 DNS, with alot of reboots and restarts. I'm not super tech savvy, especially when it comes to manually setting up networks.

Thank you!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 and smart DNS not working Playstation4

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Did you power OFF the RBR when you connected the new ISP modem, let the modem come to ready, then power ON the RBR and try your PS? 

MIght try this, do a back up configuration to file under Advanced/Backup and save the configuration to file. Factory reset the RBR, Power OFF the the modem for 30 seconds, then back on. Let it come to ready. Walk thru the RBRs setup wizard and complete it. Set a IP address reservation for the PS on the RBR. Save settings and reboot. 

See if the PS can connect.

Only thing that stands out is the modem change and maybe something in the new modem is preventing the connection if all this worked before chaning to the new modem. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7