Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 router set up as AP to RBR50 router

Noroddveien
Apprentice

Orbi RBR40 router set up as AP to RBR50 router

Hi,

I have an Orbi AC3000 wifi sytem which includes the RBR50 router, RBS50 satelite, RBS50Y satelite and RBW30 satelite (see photo). I´m trying to set up a supplemental RBR40 router as a simple AP (as I understand it cannot function as a satelite). Once the RBR40 was set up as an AP, it also starts interfering with my already connected satelites. I had to reset all satelites for connection to RBR50. I just want the RBR40 to function a a simple straighforward AP and no wifi connection to satelites. Help - any advice? BTW, I couldn´t find RBR40 router listed under "Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)" so I used RBR50.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s) and RBR40? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channel are you using on the RBR50 system? I would set the 2.4Ghz radio for channel 11, then the RBR40 to channel 1. Same with 5Ghz, set one for channel 36 and the other for 48. There maybe some interferences with the wireless back haul so you might turn down the wifi power on the RBR40s radios from 100% to 50 or 25%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 12
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Hi, The distances are within 30 feet but the problem is that I don´t want RBR40 to communicate with the satelites at all. RBR40 is connected directly to my RBR50 via ethernet cable and I just want it to act as a simple AP with wifi connection to my devices only. I thought that setting RBR40 to AP automatically turned off satelite functions etc.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't prevent that. If the RBR is in AP mode, they may show up as connected clients since the subnet is all on the same network. So the 40 will just detect them as being satellites. If you set the same SSID name this might cause the RBS to connect to the RBR40 as well, so make sure the SSID is different on the RBR40. Make sure the distances are 30ft or more. Too close can cause problems. 

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Noroddveien wrote:

Hi, The distances are within 30 feet but the problem is that I don´t want RBR40 to communicate with the satelites at all. RBR40 is connected directly to my RBR50 via ethernet cable and I just want it to act as a simple AP with wifi connection to my devices only. I thought that setting RBR40 to AP automatically turned off satelite functions etc.

This is not correct, although it may not be causing the issue you report.  "Router" vs. "Access Point" pertains to the mode of the base unit (RBR40).

Imagine a person who has an ISP combination modem/router and is unable to put it into bridge or passthrough mode.

He wants to connect an Orbi system (router plus satellites) to gain WiFi coverage, but to avoid having a "Double NAT" situation, the Orbi base unit is put into AP mode.  It still connects to and coordinates with the satellites.  It simply no longer performs "routing" functions, such as port forwarding, DMZ, (usually) DHCP, Armor, Disney Circle, etc. etc.  (There is a list somewhere.  I need to get a copy of it.)

So, even though there are no satellites connected to the RBR40, there could be.  The RBR40 will no doubt activate its 5G WiFi backhaul signal in preparation for a satellite to appear.

This, however, does not "explain what happened."  Two (or more) Orbi systems can be activated in the same area.  They may compete for the same bandwidth and interfere with each other, but they should all remain separate networks.

Perhaps it would help to understand how the RBR40 was configured as an access point.  Does it have the identical WiFi name (SSID) and password as the primary Orbi system?

Message 5 of 12
Noroddveien
Apprentice

My RBR50 router has SSID=ORBI3000 while my RBR40 (AP mode) is configured with SSID=RBR40. So, from what I understand, RBR50 and RBR40 will compete for satelite connections depending on location of satelites. BTW, RBS50 satelite is connected to my router via ethernet backhaul. My RBR40 is ethernet-connected to RBR50 via 2 switches and is located in an annex adjacent to our house.

Message 6 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Make sure that the 2 network switches between your RBR50 router and RBR40 (AP) for the ethernet backhaul are not "green" switches.  For some reason, the wired backhaul will not work on power-saving green switches.  There have been multiple threads on the community forums regarding this, such as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-Compatible-Switches/m-p/1913276

You might be able to use female-to-female RJ45 connectors where your switches are for this wired backhaul connection to your AP, making it work like a single long network patch cable.

Message 7 of 12
Noroddveien
Apprentice

My switches are standard "non green" gigabite switches. In addition, my physical network layout makes it impossible to include a single long network patch cable between RBR40 and RBR50. I guess my best option is to sell the RBR40 and get a new satelite (connected via ethernet backhaul). Shame though, as I already have the RBR40 and a new satelite is quite expensive here in Norway.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

As long as the SSIDs are different between the RBR50 and RBR40 and the RBSs are already synced to the RBR50, then they should remain connected to the RBR50 only. 

Message 9 of 12
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Yes, I agree FURRYe38, the satelites should remain connected to the RBR50 only. I don´t understand why the RBR40 screws up my network. I´ll have to do do some more "trial and erroring" after the summer. Right now it´s time for summer vacation:-) 

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

It shouldn't if the chanels are set far appart between the 50 series system the the RBR40. Do more testing when you get time. 

Enjoy. 

Message 11 of 12
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Hi again,

Just to conclude this discussion, I tried setting up my RBR40 as an AP again after a long summer break. I tried setting the RBR40 wireless channels as 1 for 2.4GHz and 48 for 5GHz as suggested. Alas, to no avail. Again, the RBR40 kept connecting to my satelites. I will keep the RBR40 as a backup router and have added an RBS20 satelite to my shopping list. Thanks all.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7