× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

cc1130
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have an ATT Pace router/moden connected to my Orbi Router RBR50. When I use the Orbi under router operation mode, my Sonos works fine but I am not able to dowload or access the Apple App Store. I've already tried changing the Orbi to function in Access Point mode which solves that problem, but then I can't use my Sonos One.

 

It seems that once one problem is solved, the other arises. I currently have my Orbi mesh network with two Satellites in the house and they work fine.  

 

Is there a way to configure the Orbi as a Router mode and overcome the issue with not being able to use the Apple App Store, Netflix, and etc.? That way my Sonos can work, because I am having no luck with my Sonos with my Orbi on Access Point mode. I only have one Sonos speaker and do not want to use a boost or sonosnet ( there is really no need for it since I only have speaker). I've tried everything, even changed the channel for 2.4ghz to channel 1 instead of having it on auto. So far, the only way my Sonos will work is if the Orbi is on Router mode ( I did change the 2.4ghz to channel 1 and the sonos will work for Pandora but not Spotify - says error playing queue 701). Im almost certain there is a way to configure everything to work seamlessly but I just dont know how, can anyone help me on this?

Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

When you have your Orbi in router mode have you switched your AT&T pace over to bridged mode? I didn't see (i've missed stuff before) a model for the att pace but check your manual to see if there's a setting for bridged or modem only mode. You could be running into a double NAT situation. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

How many Sonos devices (including bridges) are HARD WIRED into your network?

 

The other question above of is your original modem/router bridged with WIFI TURNED OFF when Orbi is in the Router mode?

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

What FW is currently loaded?

 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop


@cc1130 wrote:

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have an ATT Pace router/moden connected to my Orbi Router RBR50. When I use the Orbi under router operation mode, my Sonos works fine but I am not able to dowload or access the Apple App Store. I've already tried changing the Orbi to function in Access Point mode which solves that problem, but then I can't use my Sonos One.

 

It seems that once one problem is solved, the other arises. I currently have my Orbi mesh network with two Satellites in the house and they work fine.  

 

Is there a way to configure the Orbi as a Router mode and overcome the issue with not being able to use the Apple App Store, Netflix, and etc.? That way my Sonos can work, because I am having no luck with my Sonos with my Orbi on Access Point mode. I only have one Sonos speaker and do not want to use a boost or sonosnet ( there is really no need for it since I only have speaker). I've tried everything, even changed the channel for 2.4ghz to channel 1 instead of having it on auto. So far, the only way my Sonos will work is if the Orbi is on Router mode ( I did change the 2.4ghz to channel 1 and the sonos will work for Pandora but not Spotify - says error playing queue 701). Im almost certain there is a way to configure everything to work seamlessly but I just dont know how, can anyone help me on this?


 

Message 4 of 19
cc1130
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hello,

I am not sure on how to set to bridge mode, I am not well versed in configuring wi-fi. I have the 5268AC model and it serves as a router/modem. Can you let me know how I would be able to turn on bridge mode? I read somewhere that ATT modem/router's do not support bridge mode?

Message 5 of 19
cc1130
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hello,

I only have one Sonos speaker operating on wi-fi.

 

I did turn off the WIFI for both 2.4 and 5ghz on the ATT modem/router model 5268AC, not sure how to switch the ATT modem/router to bridge mode.

Message 6 of 19
cc1130
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hello,

Sorry, not sure what FW stands for. I am not familiar with configuring wi-fi settings. Most of the time I just have the ISP set everything up for me but they have not helped me at all with these issues.

 

How do I do this:

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

 

I have access to the admin for my ATT router, I just don't know how to configure DMZ or IP Pass-Through. Is the IP address the Orbi Router gets from the modem on the side of my ATT modem box?

Message 7 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Please set the ATT router to DMZPlus Mode as follows:

1. Connect a computer to a LAN port on the ATT router and open the gateway home page at http://192.168.1.254.
2. Click the Settings tab, then click the Firewall tab.
3. Click Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.
4. Select the IP address assigned to Orbi.
5. Select Allow all applications (DMZplus mode).
6. Click Save.
Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

FW = Firmware. Just checking to see what version you have installed. 

 

Let us know if the suggestions help. If you can't seem to get the ISP modem correctly configured for DMZ or IP Passthrough, You might contact the ISP and have them help you. Or configure the Orbi system for AP mode as suggested in option #3. 

 


@cc1130 wrote:

Hello,

Sorry, not sure what FW stands for. I am not familiar with configuring wi-fi settings. Most of the time I just have the ISP set everything up for me but they have not helped me at all with these issues.

 

How do I do this:

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

 

I have access to the admin for my ATT router, I just don't know how to configure DMZ or IP Pass-Through. Is the IP address the Orbi Router gets from the modem on the side of my ATT modem box?


 

Message 9 of 19
cc1130
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Great! That seems simple enough. Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I figure out which IP address is assigned to the Orbi?
Message 10 of 19
cc1130
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue


Great! That seems simple enough. Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I figure out which IP address is assigned to the Orbi?
Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Look on the modems web page under connected clients. You should see it there. I would do a IP address reservation on the modem for the Orbi so the address doesn't change. 


@cc1130 wrote:

Great! That seems simple enough. Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I figure out which IP address is assigned to the Orbi?

 

Message 12 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue


@cc1130 wrote:

Great! That seems simple enough. Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I figure out which IP address is assigned to the Orbi?

When you click on "Applications, Pinholes and DMZ" you should see a list of all connected devices to the ATT Router, they should not be many, the Orbi IP address should be marked as Orbi or Netgear, I think you should be able to identify it easily in the list!

Message 13 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hi @cc1130

 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information provided to you has helped resolve your issue or if you need further

assistance.

 

If issue still not resolved, please check your inbox. 

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 14 of 19
Dgr8wun
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hi, did you get this resolved? I have the same problem. Orbi is set on AP mode with 2.4 on channel 11. only Pandora works, AppleMusic and Amazon doesnt.

Message 15 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Hi @Dgr8wun

 

Please check your inbox.

 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

 

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop


@Dgr8wun wrote:

Hi, did you get this resolved? I have the same problem. Orbi is set on AP mode with 2.4 on channel 11. only Pandora works, AppleMusic and Amazon doesnt.


 

Message 17 of 19
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

If you're using a Pace 5268AC in front of the Orbi, you'll likely be less frustrated getting it switched to a BGW210 gateway box. 

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50, ATT&T Pace, Sonos Connection Issue

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6259 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7