Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Chi7
Star

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but this guy’s the worst. Every post in every thread is the same copy and paste **bleep** that no one wants to hear. We have real issues with this router and no one provides any real solutions. Instead, they copy and paste like adding insult to injury. I could copy and paste all day, but how does that help anyone?

The Orbi is a seriously flawed system. So many of us are suffering with it while we depend on it for work, school, etc.

Do what others did, including myself. Return it if you can and get a more reliable system. It’s truly not worth the headache.
Message 51 of 181
Chi7
Star

Exactly!
Message 52 of 181
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone does. Not everyone is having a bad experience.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK40-Download-Speed-Slows-Down-After-5-Days/m-p/1643475/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1548414/highlight/true#M27868
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/speed-slows-down-Orbi/m-p/1551822/highlight/true#M28289
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-2-1-3-4-in-auto-update/m-p/1553979/highlight/true#M28616
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Not-Connecting-via-Ethernet/m-p/1556692/h...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-amp-the-new-Roomba-i7-connectivity/m-p/1655054/highlight/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649157/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1648321/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649172/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1649389/highligh...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Your-experience-with-Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Your-experience-with-Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Satellite-placement-help/m-p/1658715#M44442

Obviously users are helping others so and its' what they want to hear so lets let users help out...

You didn't prove anything and since you've already moved on and returned yours, leads us to think either the system was bad or you didn't bother enough to troubleshoot the real problem or not experienced enough to work with MESH. Your not suffering anymore.

So lets move along.

Cheers.

@Chi7 wrote:
Sorry to sound like a jerk, but this guy’s the worst. Every post in every thread is the same copy and paste **bleep** that no one wants to hear. We have real issues with this router and no one provides any real solutions. Instead, they copy and paste like adding insult to injury. I could copy and paste all day, but how does that help anyone?

The Orbi is a seriously flawed system. So many of us are suffering with it while we depend on it for work, school, etc.

Do what others did, including myself. Return it if you can and get a more reliable system. It’s truly not worth the headache.

Message 53 of 181
Chi7
Star

Of course not everyone. But more than enough users in multiple forums where it doesn’t work as its intended. And one too many times you’re forced to do this and that, reset this, rollback that, to make it work. Things that shouldn’t be. And for every frustrated user, they get the same boilerplate copy and paste answers.

If yours is fine, that’s awesome. For the rest of us, it’s a nightmare.
Message 54 of 181
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Kind of invalid since you returned yours now huh.

Every Mfr has it's problems, may more than others.

Cheers.

Message 55 of 181
ekhalil
Master

Current Orbi software seems to have issues with some wired devices. If you have any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos) wired to Orbi, please test to disconnect them and see if you will see improvements.

Wired Sonos seem -in certain configurations- to cause IP loops over time which will degrade the system's performance and will consequently cause many different "strange" issues.

I had too frequent issues like internet disconnects, wifi drops, backhaul issues,.... that were all solved when I just disconnected my wired speakers and connected them wirelessly instead.

Message 56 of 181
bshure
Guide

I suspect some of the happy users are using them only as Wireless Access Points.

Message 57 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@bshure wrote:

I suspect some of the happy users are using them only as Wireless Access Points.

My Orbi is set to Router Mode and I'm a happy Orbi user.

I had too many issues when I started with Orbi that -fortunately- I could solve, the hard way.

Orbi is a great device if you find the root cause of and fix your configuration issues.

I agree that Orbi should have better troubleshooting tools to find issues in an easier way, but I really hope that this will come later.

Message 58 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines in router mode as well. 

Message 59 of 181
RavenFan80
Guide

Had the same issue and eventually gave up...google wifi runs CIRCLES around the orbi and haven’t seen a drop/issue in over 7 months.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 60 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@RavenFan80 wrote:

Had the same issue and eventually gave up...google wifi runs CIRCLES around the orbi and haven’t seen a drop/issue in over 7 months.

May be Google Wifi is simpler to get working, but how much throughput are you getting out of that compared to Orbi? 😉 I think that Orbi is way more powerful system. 

Message 61 of 181
Vengeance
Tutor

I've been through this for more than a year now, constant drops happens from time to time with the two statlites refuses to reconnect to the orbi router again unless i reboot everything! Hw reset used to solve the issue in the last 3 fw updates until the last one, now even Hw reset doesnt effect the issue anymore and im living in constant drops every hour or two, i wasted 500Eur buying the rbk50 with extra rbs50 to findout that support is only 90 days for such expansive piece of hardware!!
Message 62 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. 

Try using just one satellite with the base router, does the problem happen still with just one satellite? You might try and just use the base router alone with out any satellites to see if the router shows this problem, if not, then add just one satellite and see. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Vengeance wrote:
I've been through this for more than a year now, constant drops happens from time to time with the two statlites refuses to reconnect to the orbi router again unless i reboot everything! Hw reset used to solve the issue in the last 3 fw updates until the last one, now even Hw reset doesnt effect the issue anymore and im living in constant drops every hour or two, i wasted 500Eur buying the rbk50 with extra rbs50 to findout that support is only 90 days for such expansive piece of hardware!!

Message 63 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@Vengeance wrote:

Please spend some time to find the root cause of the issue. Orbi is a great system once it's working.

Disconnections issues can be cause dby one of the following:

- Bad radio environment: Can be checked with wifi scans and making sure you select the correct radio channels and radio parameters.

- Having multiple routers/DHCP servers in the network: Check that you either have Orbi as the main router or your ISP router but not both.

- One or more "bad" wired devices: Please disconnect all your wired devices and connect them one by one to find if you have "bad" devices. Also wired mesh speakers can have negative impact on the performance of the system and need to be dealt with carefully.

Message 64 of 181
Vengeance
Tutor

Thanks, guys for trying to help, under pressure from my family i cracked down and i put my orbi on the shelf! i bought the deco m9 plus instead!

Message 65 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Ever get a chance to put the Orbi back on line, try some of the suggestions. 

Good Luck. 

@Vengeance wrote:

Thanks, guys for trying to help, under pressure from my family i cracked down and i put my orbi on the shelf! i bought the deco m9 plus instead!

Message 66 of 181
NightStorm
Guide

Mirrors my experience.  I put up with it for a year, trying new firmware, trying beta firmware, resetting, repositioning, reconfiguring, experimenting with power levels, etc. all with a very PO'd family.  Enough was enough, I bought the LinkSys Velop, and returned to a setup and just use it system, the way life used to be B.O.  (Before Orbi).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 67 of 181
Geegman
Aspirant

After no response from support in the first 90 days and another 9 months of resets and configuration manipulation, I finally gave up and replaced with trendnet Ethernet over power access points. Works great and no drops

Message 68 of 181
walder
Guide

Went through the frustration of Orbi dropping internet connection unpredictably. I have 8 Sonos speakers connecting wirelessly via a Boost wired to the router.

Changing the 2.4 GHz channel on the Orbi from Auto to 6 (the Sonos is on 1) may have addressed the problem for me. No internet dropouts for two weeks now. I also changed all of the Sonos devices to fixed IP addresses. I reckon avoiding the channel overlap may have sorted out the mess of meshes.
Message 69 of 181
Chuck_M
Mentor

Regarding Sonos... you can only have ONE wired entrypoint to the Sonos constellation...  do you have a Sonos Boost?  If so, that would be the entry point and all other speakers and Sonos devices should be wireless.

Message 70 of 181
walder
Guide

@Chuck_M wrote:

Regarding Sonos... you can only have ONE wired entrypoint to the Sonos constellation...  do you have a Sonos Boost?  If so, that would be the entry point and all other speakers and Sonos devices should be wireless.

Correct. Currently the Boost is wired to the router, all Sonos devices (speakers and Boost) now have fixed IPs. The Sonos channel is set to 1 and the Orbi 2.4 Ghz is set to channel 6.

Previously i have had the Boost wired to either the satellite or the router but the internet dropouts continued . I have never tried with the speakers connecting wirelessly to the network without the Boost.

Message 71 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@walder wrote:

..... I have never tried with the speakers connecting wirelessly to the network without the Boost.

I have all my 10 speakers connected wirelessly via Orbi and all is working just fine! 🙂

Message 72 of 181
Miclan
Aspirant

Obviously there are problems with the actual firmware - period.

It is neither professional nor a solution to claim, that there are some users not experiencing problems.

I am missing participating Netgeare professional staff here!

Message 73 of 181
walder
Guide

After a couple of months of frustration from intermittent internet dropouts I have a family rebellion ... "why don't we go back to our old router??".

I'm nearing the end with Orbi. Will go back to the Asus AC5300 which fortunately I still have. A couple of dead spots are infinitely better than a whole house with strong Orbi wi-fi but no internet connection!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 74 of 181
amurrey
Tutor

My Orbi issues were resolved.

After an RMA from my Costco purchased unit, I've been trouble free now for months.

Message 75 of 181
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7