Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

rolf_berg
Guide

Thanks, with Orbi I will definately need it.

Message 151 of 181
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@rolf_berg wrote:

I have the RBK/RBS solution (router with three satellites) and just want to say that its performance is horrible. Continuous disconections, at least once per day, that forces me to reboot the system. Very often all my wifi-components only connects with the router itself (what is then the reason for the satellites?). Shame on you Netgear.....

An often reboot implies there's a conflict with the configuration between the Satellites and main Orbi Router.  If clients are connecting Orbi instead of Satellites, the Satellites configs might be out of sync with the Orbi.  If you haven't already done this, please give this a shot.  Otherwise, please ignore.

• Enable telnet on all the Satellites
  • Force each Satellite to resync its config with main Orbi router.   Refer to this link on how to refresh Satellites configs.
  • Verify that backhaul signal (RSSI) between Orbi/Satellite is within dBm range

Please head over here for telnet related info and other interesting things that can be done with Orbi telnet terminal.

Message 152 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

@SW_  Hopefully he might respond and give feed back to you. Smiley Tongue

Message 153 of 181

At least they didn't come across all sweary.

Genie APp No Longer Supported - NETGEAR Communities

Message 154 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, he's a winner for sure. Smiley LOL

Message 155 of 181
Jaunty
Aspirant

I don’t want to jinx anything but I haven’t dropped internet connection for a fortnight, running 2.3.1.48, haven’t changed anything since last reboot.....getting 100% of my wired speed over WiFi throughout the house. Fingers crossed long may it continue. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 156 of 181
Jaunty
Aspirant

I jinxed it. It disconnected from internet for no apparent reason again. 😥
Message 157 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
I would manually update FW to v60.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Jaunty wrote:

I don’t want to jinx anything but I haven’t dropped internet connection for a fortnight, running 2.3.1.48, haven’t changed anything since last reboot.....getting 100% of my wired speed over WiFi throughout the house. Fingers crossed long may it continue. 

Message 158 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

After going through all the steps provided here and upgrading to latest firmware and factory resets, it workes for few days and back to step 1.

During this week, it dropped connection bunch of times, I got frustrated and ready to throw this in trash. What a piece of crap for over $300.

Message 159 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

is the drop in internet on both wired and wireless devices? 

Is the top LED ring on the RBR showing any indication of Magenta when this happens? 

@Harryp123 wrote:

After going through all the steps provided here and upgrading to latest firmware and factory resets, it workes for few days and back to step 1.

During this week, it dropped connection bunch of times, I got frustrated and ready to throw this in trash. What a piece of crap for over $300.

Message 160 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  I have Verizon FIOS and its Verizon's modem.
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Around 30 feet

is the drop in internet on both wired and wireless devices? I think its dropping only Wifi as I don't see my Ooma phone goes to red

Is the top LED ring on the RBR showing any indication of Magenta when this happens?  No colors

Message 161 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Now wifi devices working and my Ooma voip is not working (wired network).

This uncertainty is killing me.

Message 162 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Setup a Reserved IP address for the Ooma device on the RBR. Then input this IP address in to the RBRs DMZ. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Harryp123 wrote:

Now wifi devices working and my Ooma voip is not working (wired network).

This uncertainty is killing me.

Message 163 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Channel 11 for 2.4 GHz

Channel 48 for 5GHz

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? My neighbor and its atleast over 70 feet

All above settings already set as per suggestion. I performed these steps a while back and they are still same. No changes lately.

Message 164 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

@Harryp123 wrote:

Channel 11 for 2.4 GHz

Channel 48 for 5GHz

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? My neighbor and its atleast over 70 feet

All above settings already set as per suggestion. I performed these steps a while back and they are still same. No changes lately.

Message 165 of 181
Zena83
Initiate

I just got my orbi from costco a week ago...worked great out of the box for about 1 day...then the dropped  internet connections started....did the fw upgrades...did the factory resets.....did the power resets on the modem and router....no help....i really don’t see what difference it should make about house size...neighbors wi-fi...channel used....different....etc...etc...I just have a Orbi that cost $300  and about 30 wi-fi devices ....mostly apple...iphones...ipads...imacs...a few other thiings like chromecast and amazon a samsung tv....my old Apple Time Machine worked fine for several years fine and is still working.... was just looking for more coverage..never had any internet drops....if this router can not work out of the box without all sorts of manual adjustments then maybe it should just stop being sold....for me I am returning it to Costco Tomorrow ...my netgear Arlo works flawless 100% of the time.  BTW I also worked with Netgear Orbi support for Costco customers......a total wast of time.....I am no dummy....been working on computers since 1977...yea I am an old fart...lol

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 166 of 181

@Zena83 wrote:

....if this router can not work out of the box without all sorts of manual adjustments then maybe it should just stop being sold....for me I am returning it to Costco Tomorrow ...

Are you looking for help to fix things? You don't say. If so, you might do better to start a new conversation.

You have just joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems. There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

This bit is worrying:

@Zena83 wrote:

....i really don’t see what difference it should make about house size...neighbors wi-fi...channel used....different....etc...etc...

I would have thought that someone working on computers since 1977 would realise that at least some of that stuff matters. I agree that the "house size" question is pointless for 99 per cent of the people who turn up here but wifi channels can be the key. If you have no neighbours using wifi, then you can ignore it. But that is an other gap in the information that you have provided.

But to work that out we need to know more.

All we now about your problem is the bit in the subject "Dropping Internet Connection Regularly ".

But we don't know if that is wifi devices or wired stuff.

Nor do we know what the modem is in front of this thing, or what else is on the network.

One point worth noting is that replacing one router with a new device isn't simply a case of unplugging one and putting another in its place. You have to rebuild the network from scratch.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the modem to forget its misspent past with the old router. That means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You may have done all this. But your message is pretty well "information free".

Message 167 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Orbi has been working for me and others. Orbi has some internesting things about it. Once set up, it works well. Just need some troubleshooting steps. Not everything is perfect out of the box, ISP service and modem configurations and user mis-configurations as well that can cause problems. Orbi is not a computer. It's a networking device. 

@Zena83 wrote:

I just got my orbi from costco a week ago...worked great out of the box for about 1 day...then the dropped  internet connections started....did the fw upgrades...did the factory resets.....did the power resets on the modem and router....no help....i really don’t see what difference it should make about house size...neighbors wi-fi...channel used....different....etc...etc...I just have a Orbi that cost $300  and about 30 wi-fi devices ....mostly apple...iphones...ipads...imacs...a few other thiings like chromecast and amazon a samsung tv....my old Apple Time Machine worked fine for several years fine and is still working.... was just looking for more coverage..never had any internet drops....if this router can not work out of the box without all sorts of manual adjustments then maybe it should just stop being sold....for me I am returning it to Costco Tomorrow ...my netgear Arlo works flawless 100% of the time.  BTW I also worked with Netgear Orbi support for Costco customers......a total wast of time.....I am no dummy....been working on computers since 1977...yea I am an old fart...lol

Message 168 of 181
TonyMcB
Aspirant

Disable ethernet adapter in the network adapter properties and that should stop your wifi from dropping out.  I know it sounds like something that you shouldn't do, but that is the only fix for this issue I have found.

Message 169 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@TonyMcB wrote:

Disable ethernet adapter in the network adapter properties and that should stop your wifi from dropping out.  I know it sounds like something that you shouldn't do, but that is the only fix for this issue I have found.

@TonyMcB , which ethernet adapter do you mean please?

Message 170 of 181
TonyMcB
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed response.  I started having the same issue with it again the very next day and I wanted to have a fix before I responded.  If you go into the router from a web browser (app wont work for this) than advanced setup, and select wifi settings and at the bottom make sure "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices" is unchecked.  As soon as I did that everything connects and does not drop out anymore.  Hopefully it helps you as it completely has fixed my connection issues. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 171 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforning is a feature that is recommended to be enabled. It works for others including me.

Had a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@TonyMcB wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response.  I started having the same issue with it again the very next day and I wanted to have a fix before I responded.  If you go into the router from a web browser (app wont work for this) than advanced setup, and select wifi settings and at the bottom make sure "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices" is unchecked.  As soon as I did that everything connects and does not drop out anymore.  Hopefully it helps you as it completely has fixed my connection issues. 

Message 172 of 181
ekhalil
Master

@TonyMcB wrote:

..........make sure "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices" is unchecked.  As soon as I did that everything connects and does not drop out anymore.  ...... 

Do you have many "old" wifi devices at home? Devices that only support 802.11n, g, and b but not ac?

If yes then your conclusion can be right! Implicit Beamforming is a feature intended to support older devices that does not support Explicit Beamforming (which is part of 802.11AC standard). If you have many of such devices at home then the other devices will be negatively affected by this directive broadcasting of the router.

Message 173 of 181
TonyMcB
Aspirant

Yes did all the resets and FW updates. Working for everything with the feature on except the older devices. Does not change connection speeds. 1GB up/down connection. Hard wired meets requirements, pulls close to 300MB down on wifi in most locations.
Message 174 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Thanks for letting us know. 
Enjoy. 

@TonyMcB wrote:
Yes did all the resets and FW updates. Working for everything with the feature on except the older devices. Does not change connection speeds. 1GB up/down connection. Hard wired meets requirements, pulls close to 300MB down on wifi in most locations.

Message 175 of 181
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7