× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

What FW is currently loaded? There is v32 and v44 FW available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

You have to get v32 applied first before v44. 


What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@walder wrote:
After a couple of months of frustration from intermittent internet dropouts I have a family rebellion ... "why don't we go back to our old router??".

I'm nearing the end with Orbi. Will go back to the Asus AC5300 which fortunately I still have. A couple of dead spots are infinitely better than a whole house with strong Orbi wi-fi but no internet connection!

 

Message 76 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

I got brand new Orbi router from Costco and I have same problem.
It keep disconnects from internet and when I open orbi app, it says connected locally.
I have to restart router to get it connected back to internet.

Some times it happens twice a day.
Very frustrating.
I thought that router had some problem and replaced with new one. New one also have same problem.

I raised a case with Netgear and never heard from them. Netgear support also not that great.
Message 77 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@Harryp123 wrote:
I got brand new Orbi router from Costco and I have same problem.
It keep disconnects from internet and when I open orbi app, it says connected locally.
I have to restart router to get it connected back to internet.

Some times it happens twice a day.
Very frustrating.
I thought that router had some problem and replaced with new one. New one also have same problem.

I raised a case with Netgear and never heard from them. Netgear support also not that great.

 

Message 78 of 181
Dalix1978
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Hi...

 

First off, I want to say I agree with you about the level of response. I had the same problem and was getting frustrated reading the copy paste response, especially when multiple times you said they problem wasn’t the Orbi transmitting, but receiving!

 

anyway, solution I found. 

 

1.) http://orbilogin.com/adv_index.htm

2.) Advance setup

3.) Router / AP mode

4.) select AP mode.

5.) Orbi should automatically reboot, if not reboot.

 

worked great after this. Seems there was a conflict with my ISP modem/router and Orbi working as a router..

 

good luck

 

 

Message 79 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

See my responses below:
 
What Firmware is currently loaded? -- 2.3.1.44
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? -- Verizon FIOS Modem
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? -- Router
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. -- No ethernet switch
 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  -- 3000 SFT
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  -- distance between router and satellites are around/under 30 feet
 
What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
--- Channel set to "Auto". Currently I am out of town and can try changing to manual channel.
 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  -- There is one Wifi Neighbor next door, but its not close by (over 60 feet distance)
 
What WPA security modes are you using? -- WPA2-PSK
 
Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
 
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Currently I am out of town and can try changing these setting later this week.
Message 80 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Ok. 

Does the FIOS modem have built in router and wifi or just a modem only? 

 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after v44 update was applied? 


@Harryp123 wrote:
See my responses below:
 
What Firmware is currently loaded? -- 2.3.1.44
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? -- Verizon FIOS Modem
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? -- Router
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. -- No ethernet switch
 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  -- 3000 SFT
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  -- distance between router and satellites are around/under 30 feet
 
What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
--- Channel set to "Auto". Currently I am out of town and can try changing to manual channel.
 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  -- There is one Wifi Neighbor next door, but its not close by (over 60 feet distance)
 
What WPA security modes are you using? -- WPA2-PSK
 
Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
 
Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.
Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Currently I am out of town and can try changing these setting later this week.

 

Message 81 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Does the FIOS modem have built in router and wifi or just a modem only? -- Just modem only

 

Message 82 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after v44 update was applied? 


@Harryp123 wrote:

Does the FIOS modem have built in router and wifi or just a modem only? -- Just modem only

 


 

Message 83 of 181
walder
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

As mentioned in my previous post I ended up going back to my trusted old router from the Taiwanese firm.

 

Apart from the pointless cut & paste response from the Netgear team, one of them did PM me asking for additional input ... while i appreciate this I decided not to pursue the Orbi option due to time constraints. I may give it another spin as a pure Access Point when i have the time.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 84 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

There is newer FW that may work better. 

 

I got a RBR50 and tested it and it's been working great. Possible configuration issue or environment issue with yours. 

 

The "cut & paste" responses are not pointless. There to help both users and us narrow down problems and help users get there systems working. These "cut & paste" responses not just willy nilly posts. Some of us do have long experinence in working with wifi, routers and troubleshooting and "cut & paste" responses are drawn from our own experineces and knowledge. User are encouraged to give feedback to these "cut & paste" responses. In most cases these "cut & paste" responses do help. If not then users are encouraged to contact NG support and get further help or get there systems RMAd. I've even helped users directly with there systems.


@walder wrote:

As mentioned in my previous post I ended up going back to my trusted old router from the Taiwanese firm.

 

Apart from the pointless cut & paste response from the Netgear team, one of them did PM me asking for additional input ... while i appreciate this I decided not to pursue the Orbi option due to time constraints. I may give it another spin as a pure Access Point when i have the time.


 

Message 85 of 181
walder
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

You may be trying to help but to repeatedly fire 40 questions at someone who has plonked $300-400 on a product that should work perfectly off the bat isn't really on in my view. Most of us on this thread seem to be a minority that are unlucky to have this issue while I am sure Orbi works great for the vast majority of buyers.

If this has helped several unlucky users ... well they haven't come back here to say so.

The Orbi worked great when it did but with the internet unreliability issues it just isn't for me. Perhaps some of those willing to invest the time and effort in experimenting may succeed, and good luck to them. I'm going with something that works for me without having to tinker with settings multiple times a day.
Message 86 of 181
Dalix1978
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

I see now with some high sight the logic of the cut and paste. For a generalisation, apologies for insulting it.

 

going through these post it just felt that the issue of internet between ISP and Orbi cutting out seemed to be not addressed, and having the same problem myself, I was frustrated in seeing the same questions about WiFi settings etc...being asked.

 

i managed to figure out the solution myself, that being changing setting from router to AP mode.

 

that said, I appreciate that for you to work out the issue, you need a set of parameters to compare to.

 

Guys, your help is always appreciated..this is never the question...just felt the same questions repeated was getting nowhere.

 

I hope I don’t need your help in the future, but if I do, I look forward to the expert advise available from your experience...

 

all the best

 

Message 87 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

And this is one reason why we ask about ISP modem mfr and model#. Sometimes isp modems already have built in router and wifi. We look to only identify this area. Adding the Orbi system in router mode can cause problems. Probably why AP mode works better for you. 

 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 88 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Orbi may not be in your best interest. We've helped others and have had good results in some troubleshooting and getting problems solved. I recommend you return the Orbi and get your money back and find something less "cut and paste" for your needs. 


Good luck in your endeavours. Smiley Wink


@walder wrote:
You may be trying to help but to repeatedly fire 40 questions at someone who has plonked $300-400 on a product that should work perfectly off the bat isn't really on in my view. Most of us on this thread seem to be a minority that are unlucky to have this issue while I am sure Orbi works great for the vast majority of buyers.

If this has helped several unlucky users ... well they haven't come back here to say so.

The Orbi worked great when it did but with the internet unreliability issues it just isn't for me. Perhaps some of those willing to invest the time and effort in experimenting may succeed, and good luck to them. I'm going with something that works for me without having to tinker with settings multiple times a day.

 

Message 89 of 181
walder
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Thank you. We are both absolutely aligned on this suggestion!

🙂
Message 90 of 181
walder
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

BTW, if you are a Netgear support person, I stand by every word I've said. On the other hand if you are not, then my sincere apologies - my comments are directed at Netgear and not at folks who are devoting their time to help fellow users.
Message 91 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Most of us are fellow users here in the forums and not employed by NG. Smiley Very Happy

 

Message 92 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Reouter lost internet connection and I had to restart to get online.

 

I did following setting now.

 

--> Enabled Beamforming and MIMO and WMM.
 
--> Disabled the following:
          Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6.
 
--> I disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence iunder 2.4 GHz but I don't see an option to set 40Mhz only.
 
Rebooted router after changing settings.
Will test for few days and post an update.
 
 
 
Message 93 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Ok, Let us know how it goes. 


@Harryp123 wrote:

Reouter lost internet connection and I had to restart to get online.

 

I did following setting now.

 

--> Enabled Beamforming and MIMO and WMM.
 
--> Disabled the following:
          Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6.
 
--> I disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence iunder 2.4 GHz but I don't see an option to set 40Mhz only.
 
Rebooted router after changing settings.
Will test for few days and post an update.
 
 
 

 

Message 94 of 181
Harryp123
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

What are these mean?

 

--> CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)

--> Preamble Mode

 

 

Message 95 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Message 96 of 181
Jaunty
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

I’ve had my Orbi for about 10 days. I got it all set up okay including my Harmony Hub on 2.4ghz only. WiFi range is great and speeds are great - but I lose internet connection about once a day. A reboot of the router from the Orbi app restablishes the connection, so the internet is arriving fine to my Virgin Superhub 3 which is in dedicated modem mode. The router and satellites are on the latest firmware. The wifi connection between router and satellites and devices is always solid. Strangely the Speedtest in the Orbi app shows a good internet connection even when it is down.

My Apple AirPort Extremes did not give the same coverage or speeds but never lost the internet connection. I will probably return this within the Amazon 30 day window as that is painless and look at a more reliable/easier mesh option.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 97 of 181
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

 

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@Jaunty wrote:
I’ve had my Orbi for about 10 days. I got it all set up okay including my Harmony Hub on 2.4ghz only. WiFi range is great and speeds are great - but I lose internet connection about once a day. A reboot of the router from the Orbi app restablishes the connection, so the internet is arriving fine to my Virgin Superhub 3 which is in dedicated modem mode. The router and satellites are on the latest firmware. The wifi connection between router and satellites and devices is always solid. Strangely the Speedtest in the Orbi app shows a good internet connection even when it is down.

My Apple AirPort Extremes did not give the same coverage or speeds but never lost the internet connection. I will probably return this within the Amazon 30 day window as that is painless and look at a more reliable/easier mesh option.

 

Message 98 of 181
Jaunty
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated,  but I don't see why any of these things should affect the loss of internet connection which is by ethernet from my Virgin Superhub 3 in modem mode to my Orbi router. The incoming Virgin fibre internet connection to the  Supehurhub is fine at all times. The wifi connection between the Orbi router and the satellites is fine. All wireless devices show a solid connection and throughput in the Orbi app, they just can't access the internet. A reboot of Orbi reestablishes the internet connection without any other changes, no need to touch my modem at all ever. Enough people have similar problems that I do not want to risk being stuck in this situation after the 30 day return window is up.

Message 99 of 181
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection Regularly


@Jaunty wrote:

....... A reboot of Orbi reestablishes the internet connection without any other changes, no need to touch my modem at all ever. Enough people have similar problems that I do not want to risk being stuck in this situation after the 30 day return window is up.


I started to have the issue of frequent "freezing internet" from 2.3.0.32 (or actually during the beta 2.3.0.23). It seems that the issue is now solved in 2.3.0.48.

Please upgrade to 2.3.0.48 (if you're not already there).

The data structure in the satellite is changed in 2.3.0.48 so you have to factory reset the satellite (not the router) after upgrading to 2.3.0.48. This is the only time I see it mandatory to factory reset after upgrading. It's strange that Netgear does not mention this explicitly in the release notes.

I have a very stable system since upgrading to 2.0.23.48 a week or so ago. I hope it continues like that.

Message 100 of 181
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series