Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Extender Compatibility

smetsch
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Extender Compatibility

In 2018, I bough an RBR50 with two RBS40 extenders.  With all the work from home in my future, I want to add another extender.  It seems very hard to find any extenders compatible with this setup that are available to ship. 

• Do any other non-Orbi Netgear extenders work with this system?
  • Am I better off scrapping this system and starting from scratch wit a new router?
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Extender Compatibility

Would be best to get another RBS or RBW. 

I've heard that the EX3700 and 7700 work however you have to contact NG support and ask for FW to make them work. They don't out of the box I believe.

Why do you think you need another extender? Having dead zones in your home? 

Is there a problem? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 8
smetsch
Aspirant

Yes - my home is a ranch with a second story and one side of the house is a dead zone.  I have the Orbi hub plugged into the Verizon router in the middle of the first floor, a satellite on the first floor on one side of the house and another satellite upstairs in the middle of the second floor.  I am looking to add a satellite on the first floor on the other side of the house.  All of the satellites are out of stock everywhere.

My RBR50 has firmware version V2.3.5.30

One Satellites has that firmware version and the other has firmware version V2.3.5.32

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

v30 on the RBR? RBR and RBS should be on same version of FW. 

Can you move any one of the RBS nearer to the deadzone? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended or more in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Happen to have a layout example of your home? 

Trying to see if maybe we can use what you have to get you signal coverage on the dead zone.

Message 4 of 8
smetsch
Aspirant

House is 5000 Square feet and very long from end to end.  If I move one of the satellites, I will just have a different dead zone.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's a long house you could possibly do a Daisy Chain, however that might be moving the RBR. 

I have same size home, rectangular as well mostly. 2 story with basement. However my modem and RBR are up on 2nd story at one end and the RBS is down the basement, wireless or wired. about 30-40 feet away. I do have a 2nd RBS in a 1st level dining are thats off to one side towards the back of the house. Its about 25-30feet as the crows flys. 

I guess since your RBR is the the middle that you have the RBS on either side of the RBR? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

You can try a EX3700 or EX7700. Something to ask NG support about getting FW to make either one of these work. IF these are in stock someplace. 

Message 6 of 8
smetsch
Aspirant

Tough to measure the distance because there ae a lot of walls!  I really think I just need another satellite, but I can't find them for sale anywhere!  That is why I was thinking a generic extender.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Buliding materials will be problematic for satellites and extenders as well. 

You might try something and see if it will connect. if it doesn't then return it. Find a place with a good refund policy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7