Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Magenta ring after power loss, possible subnet issue with Xfinity and CM1000

JDUB2002
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Magenta ring after power loss, possible subnet issue with Xfinity and CM1000

Hello all,

I have the RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites and one wall plug satellite. I have Xfinity internet service and use the Netgear CM1000 cable modem, which goes directly into my RBR50.

When the system runs good, it runs good and never falters. However, whenever I lose power to the home and the systems come back up, the Orbi always gives me a ton of headaches. I have always had Netgear products and never had these issues.

The Orbi stays stuck with the magenta ring, and it also makes the link connection light (the one that appears to show two PCs linked) on my modem turn amber as well (not sure if that means anything).

Typically, I just have to do a dance of power cycling the Orbi, the router and the satellites to get it up and running again. Sometimes it takes a few times but eventually takes hold. However, occasionally, like today, it just will not get back up and running.

Does anyone know of any particular issues with my setup (Xfinity cable from wall>Netgear CM1000 modem>Orbi), that would be causing this? I know I read previously somewhere about a possible issue with the modem and Orbi using the same address (forget if it was Subnet or what) and that causing an issue, but I am stumped. Would some sort of managed or unmanaged switch between the CM1000 and the RBR50 prevent this maybe?

Also, I believe my firmware is up to date, but can't check at the moment.

Thanks.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Magenta ring after power loss, possible subnet issue with Xfinity and CM1000

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Power OFF both CM modem and RBR. for 1 minute. Then power ON the CM modem and let it sync, should take about a minute or less. Then power ON the RBR. It should come to ready and the top ring LED should turn OFF. 

If not, connect up a wired PC to the modem to make sure it's working and PC gets internet access directly with the modem. 

Message 2 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

Okay I followed your rest instructions. CM1000 powered up fine, all lights solid green. Then I powered the orbi back on, flashed white for awhile, then back to solid magenta. Also when the orbi goes to solid magenta, then all of the CM1000 lights go completely out except the Ethernet light which is solid Amber.
Message 3 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

Also now connected modem directly to PC and modem is working fine.
Message 4 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

Another update, I have now connected my old Netgear WNDR3700 to the CM1000 and internet is working fine. I will now attempt to put the wndr3700 in bridge mode and connect the orbi to that and see what happens.
Message 5 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

Okay, sorry, last update. So now I have coax to CM1000 to WNDR2700 (WiFi off) to Orbi RBR 50.... And success! All modems/routers functioning now, and entire Orbi system is up and running. We will see if it lasts.

One odd side effect of this setup. Now when I open the Orbi app on my phone it gives me an error saying WNDR router not supported and I need to login to the router login.net to access Orbi settings. Strange that the app is seeing the WNDR even though I am connected to the wifi of the Orbi not the WNDR.
Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a good chance that you now have two "routers" (The WNDR and the Orbi).  You can check that by doing a "trace route" from something connected to the Orbi to a known IP address, such as Google DNS 8.8.8.8  If the first two "hops" are both private IP addresses, then you have a "Double NAT" which can cause nine kinds of hell.

Message 7 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

CrimpOn - So far it has not presented any issues.  What should I be on the lookout for?  I assume if issues pop-up, simply removing the in-between router would solve those issues?

I wanted to put the WNDR2700 into bridge mode, however I did not see an option for this when logged into the router settings.  I could turn the wifi radio off in there (though I did not since I had already done so with the physical button on the router).  Is there sometimes a setting under a different terminology that results in putting the router in bridge mode, or do they not all have that feature.

Also, would replacing the WNDR with an unmanaged switch get me the same results without creating dual routers?  I know the switch wouldn't function as a router but not sure if it would solve the problem the way the WNDR did.  Still not sure what the WNDR did to solve the issue, but just seemed logical to me that somehow the Orbi and the CM1000 were conflicting with each other and separating them might help.  I have an extra switch laying around at work so I will give that a shot.

EDIT:  Did some searching on putting a switch between modem and router and seems like that is a no-go.  You can let me know if otherwise.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, when you get a chance, lets remove the WNDR router from between the CM Modem and directly connect the RBR to the CM modem. Power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back ON. Press the reset button in back of the RBR for 15 seconds then release. Connect a wired PC to the RBR and when the top ring LED is pulsating WHITE, log into the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. Complete the wizard. 

Does the top ring LED turn off after completing the wizard? 

Swap LAN cables between the modem and RBR. Besure to use good quality cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

@JDUB2002 wrote:
Okay I followed your rest instructions. CM1000 powered up fine, all lights solid green. Then I powered the orbi back on, flashed white for awhile, then back to solid magenta. Also when the orbi goes to solid magenta, then all of the CM1000 lights go completely out except the Ethernet light which is solid Amber.

Message 9 of 12
JDUB2002
Aspirant

I will try this tonight.  One question, will the reset clear out all of my settings? (network name, passwords, etc.).

Thanks.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. However you can do a Backup configuration to file. Do the reset and walk thru the wizard. If the RBR and CM get connected and it works, you can apply the backup configuration from file and your settings will return. Possible that you may see the original problem re-appear though. Which would mean the there is a current configuration problem that the reset would clear out and you may need to set up from scratch, get the system working well, then save off a New backup configuration to file. 

Message 11 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Before you factory reset the router, save the settings under the Advanced tab -> Adminstration -> Backup Settings.  Then go to each settings page that you have configured items on and take a screenshot of the web page.  That way if you have to configure the router manually after a factory reset, you know what settings should be in case the configuration backup includes anything that may be corrupting your router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7